I really like Thailand!

joeyg

I know I'm going out on a limb here but I'll do it anyway. Been traveling here since 1971. Retired a little over two years ago could've chose anywhere in the world really but I decided on Thailand.

I like the people, the food, the natural terrain, and the amount of freedom that I have.

I've traveled extensively and have considered several other places to settle down. For me pound for pound and dollar for dollar Thailand can't be beat.

Honestly the catalyst for this post is the overwhelming volume of members here that incessantly mock and put down Thailand to no end. It is an interesting phenomenon and I honestly don't understand it.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Agreed and wish the sad <deleted> would just buy an air ticket back home. I would like to hear from them.. You all know who you are! what keeps you here so miserably?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Indeed.  I can afford to live anywhere I want.  I choose Thailand for many reasons.  Going to Immigration every 90 days is a pleasure.  I look forward to chat with some of the gals I've gotten to know there as they "stamp" me in.  I say hello and chat with everyone, who can communicate, including cops on the street.

I like people.  I especially like Thai people. And believe me I've traveled extensively.  It's all about sanuke!  If it ain't sanuke it ain't happinin'.  For me anyway.

@ Ar Price is not the issue. Why bring that up? I just said for me I like it and am glad to be here.

3 hours ago, mcfish said:

Agreed and wish the sad <deleted> would just buy an air ticket back home. I would like to hear from them.. You all know who you are! what keeps you here so miserably?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Notice the bashers have not responded? There is a reason for this, basically they are cowards who hide in the shadows waiting for somebody else to start or until a pack has formed and then they all jump on board..much safer that way :bah:

10 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Notice the bashers have not responded? There is a reason for this, basically they are cowards who hide in the shadows waiting for somebody else to start or until a pack has formed and then they all jump on board..much safer that way :bah:

its the "Happy brigade" today I see:tongue:

36 minutes ago, mcfish said:

But that's the ' Thai way'  of assaulting foreigners, isn't it?

:tongue:

I'm with the OP.  I too really like Thailand. I could have moved and lived anywhere. In fact I could have easily just stayed in the US. I traveled around and just like the place.

I work with Thai folks all day long. Nicest folk. Easy to get on with. I see more smiles in a day here then I would see in the US in damn near a month. One thing clear is work isn't everything to Thai's. They seem to balance it very well. While many criticize the "Mai Pen Rai" attitude, for me its refreshing. They do not get their underwear all cranked up in their butt over silly things versus where I just moved from. Point in case, Wife and I were at a restaurant the other night. Place had a rush of customers and 2 poor waitresses were swamped. In the US I guarantee you people would have been screaming, demanding to talk to the manager, wanting their money back and so on and so on. They would have not even left a tip even though the waitress had nothing to do with the surge of customers. Here folks understood, were patient, carried on with the discussions, waited and got their food. Same with us. Our waitress apologized and it was OK. No worries.  We left her a tip.

JAFO, I'm glad you are so happy in Thailand, but I find your statement about the US quite hyperbolic to say the least.  I wonder why Northern California would be such a popular place to live if the people acted like such barbarians? 

13 minutes ago, amykat said:

JAFO, I'm glad you are so happy in Thailand, but I find your statement about the US quite hyperbolic to say the least.  I wonder why Northern California would be such a popular place to live if the people acted like such barbarians? 

Because they don't realize how they behave as the majority have never left to see how other people and cultures are.

Until you leave and go see the world their views are lopsided.  

Funny. I know quite a few people that have traveled and visited Thailand and have come back and go on and on about how nice and polite the people are.

I like Thailand fine.  One of the nicer places in the world that God put oil and gas.

But 5 minutes after my contract is over, I'm going to be buying my ticket.  (It'll take about a week to give everything away and pack the stuff I want to keep)  The heat, the humidity, the incessant mold and mildew- working here 5 years has aged me 20.  I'm hoping I can get some of that back when I get to a sanitary location with a dry climate.

Glad to hear the OP's happy.  But it isn't for everyone.

BTW, just to start the tongues wagging, China was healthier for me.  Yeah.  China. 10 years.

Edited by impulse

All you have to do is find a good girl, marry her, have children, build a house, buy a car and a motorbike, create your own space, be friendly with the extended family but don't allow yourself to become an ATM.

That has worked for me. Still love the place and the people after all these years.

4 minutes ago, DeaconJohn said:

All you have to do is find a good girl, marry her, have children, build a house, buy a car and a motorbike, create your own space, be friendly with the extended family but don't allow yourself to become an ATM.

That has worked for me. Still love the place and the people after all these years.

Done basically none of that. Still very happy here. 

I dont hate thailand, and I agree that for the most part people are smiley and happy. Things are "Cheaper" but I really and truly believe that cheap does not equal value. The things here that are actually "Cheap" are very VERY low quality and the only real exceptions are some rental property and the food. Might be different for some of the UK/Europe fellas due to the weather and cost of living in their home countries. 

10 hours ago, joeyg said:

Indeed.  I can afford to live anywhere I want.  I choose Thailand for many reasons.  Going to Immigration every 90 days is a pleasure.  I look forward to chat with some of the gals I've gotten to know there as they "stamp" me in.  I say hello and chat with everyone, who can communicate, including cops on the street.

I like people.  I especially like Thai people. And believe me I've traveled extensively.  It's all about sanuke!  If it ain't sanuke it ain't happinin'.  For me anyway.

@ Ar Price is not the issue. Why bring that up? I just said for me I like it and am glad to be here.

You really think that you can live anywhere you want? You can probably live in your home country or a few countries scattered across the EU, if you are from there. To state you can afford to live anywhere you want is quite a statement. 

You can afford to live in Japan and have access to an easy visa?