Do Thai people hate Indian food?

cheapskatesam

I remember once taking a Thai girl to a Indian restaurant on Sukhumvit in BKK because i fancied a curry and i assumed Thai people would also like Indian curry because it's spicy..

Anyway i order loads of food for the both of us and she picked at it and said "cannot eat".. and she ended up munching away at the poppadoms only whilst i had to contend with the whole amount of food! It would have been a good meal for 3 people and i felt i had to eat it all because i'm like that. I dont want that money to go to waste and i feel embarrassed leaving food.

I had to cram down nearly 900bahts and she later on stoped at a noodle stand for 30baht worth of noodles.

I have a plethitude of interesting and funny stories like this one. I will be sharing them in the coming days

My Thai wife loves Indian curry so much that we usually have it three or four times a week. She prefers milder curries and I prefer hot ones. Her cousin came over and tried a vindaloo which she enjoyed but said it wasn't hot enough, wow. The aunties (older generation) wouldn't even try.

10 years ago you couldn't get Thais to eat Japanese.. Now there are sushi places everywhere.

The younger generation are more open to experimentation. They travel more and have social media to present new ideas. Of course there will always be a more backward and less open to change element in any society. Here it's girls/guys from bahn nork unwilling to try the unfamiliar. No different to Brits unwilling to try "nasty foreign food" on their first package holiday back in the 50's

Or the guys on here who live on Spam, Toast and Frey Bentos pies because they don't like Thai food...  

10 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

10 years ago you couldn't get Thais to eat Japanese.. Now there are sushi places everywhere.

The younger generation are more open to experimentation. They travel more and have social media to present new ideas. Of course there will always be a more backward and less open to change element in any society. Here it's girls/guys from bahn nork unwilling to try the unfamiliar. No different to Brits unwilling to try "nasty foreign food" on their first package holiday back in the 50's

Or the guys on here who live on Spam, Toast and Frey Bentos pies because they don't like Thai food...  

Really? I think Japanese food was already popular with Thai people 10 years ago. There is something about Indian food and Thais. Just ask a bunch of random Thais. You will definitely get comments alluding to racial stereotypes ... the phrase SMELLS BAD will come up you can bet your curry house on it. 

Japanese are seen as racial cousins by Thais.

Indians aren't. 

Thailand is a nation that is very and unapologetically up front with racial identity linked to nationalism. 

Well. When I  used to visit Pattaya from S'pore in the early 90's there was really only one Japanese resto ( Yamoto ) at that time. It certainly wasn't that popular with Thais.  Even a few years later when I moved here full time my only real moan was the lack of Jap food ( It was everywhere in HK and Singas ) Then the Japanese chain sushi places started to open and it has boomed. Obviously I'm only talking about Pattaya as jap food was widely available in BKK and the more Worldly BKK Thais were eating it. It just took time to trickle down to the provinces.

My wife and her friends all like Indian food ( all from BKK ) and if asked it will always be suggested along with Lebanese, Italian or Korean as a food option.

Most of the "Thais don't like" stereotypes just seem to come from guys interaction with country girls who have little experience with anything apart from what was available in their village.

But even village girls usually learn to enjoy Western, Indian and all manner of other food if given the opportunity..  

Yes, Korean, especially Thai modified Korean BBQ is very popular with Thais.

I'm sorry ... I go to Indian restaurants often. It's very rare to see Thai people going in there. It objectively is NOT popular with Thai people. Why act like it is? It isn't and it probably never will be.

Next ... 

Do you actually have anything to do with Thai people apart from observing them from afar?  

When did I say it was popular with all Thai people ?

I said it was popular with the group of Thais that I socialize with.. They may not be the norm. 

They also have well paying jobs and travel overseas, that may not be the norm in your experience either. Not all Thais, believe it or not come from darkest isaan and work in Pattaya/Jomptien bars. 

next !

24 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Do you actually have anything to do with Thai people apart from observing them from afar?  

When did I say it was popular with all Thai people ?

I said it was popular with the group of Thais that I socialize with.. They may not be the norm. 

They also have well paying jobs and travel overseas, that may not be the norm in your experience either. Not all Thais, believe it or not come from darkest isaan and work in Pattaya/Jomptien bars. 

next !

Pattaya has attracted middle class and up Thais for years now as tourists, especially since the Central Mall was opened. Right across the street from that mall are three quite good nice venue Indian restaurants. I've never seen even one Thai person eating there. 

If all you've got to promote your POV is lame and dated Pattaya bashing, nothing more to say. 

many years ago my wife went with me to Penang for me to get to get a visa from the thai consulate in Georgetown and I was worried as there would not be any authentic thai food for her to eat...and she surprised me by immersing herself in the local indian cuisine that the place is famous for, trying every different kind of curry as well as the tandoori, etc...

and then I started to suspect her unusual behavior in this regard; that her simple country girl aspect was fake, that she had spent time in England, that she had dozens of English lovers, etc, etc... and then Aretha started up: 'Chain, chain, chain...'...

I got over it...

I suspect there is also an aspect that many Thai people look down on Indians, some even viewing them as "khaek" - guests who have outstayed their welcome.

However, Japanese and Koreans are respected, making their food more "acceptable".

Well, my wife and all her family are quite happy to sit down and eat Indian food whenever I cook it. I have also seen other Thai's eating in the many Indian restaurants I frequent, Yes, even in Pattaya, when i lived down that way, but that was more than 10 years ago.

Thai hos usually aren't fans of indian food….they say it smells bad but their palate just isn't attuned to it.

My feeling is that the reason could also be…its excessively oily, rich, creamy and heavy.

Good point about the richness but many Indian dishes are quite light.

mrs.meats favourite night out with the girls at work in the uk. 

6pints strongbow and an indian vindaloo at least twice a month. KOR-I-NOR,NEWPORT BALTI, and in bkk, MRS BALBIR AND SOI 22 SUKV.

and she loved RIKS IN SURIN.

we dont have an indian in KORAT.

Archived