Do Thai people hate Indian food?

cheapskatesam

On 9/23/2016 at 2:14 PM, Jingthing said:

You will definitely get comments alluding to racial stereotypes ... the phrase SMELLS BAD will come up you can bet your curry house on it. 

That's what I get from the Thais I've been around as well, Jing. They say they don't like the smell of Indian food, and similarly, tend to not like the "smell" of Indian people either.

• 2 months later...

Now I know it's cheesy, touristy, but I like Face Bar in Bangkok. Everytime we visit BKK we go there and only once did I get my wife to try the Indian restaurant, without great success

After that I just give in and go to their Thai restaurant

I cook Indian food at home, and regardless of the spiciness, there is something in the spice, yogurt combination that turns Thai's off

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I cook Indian food at home, and regardless of the spiciness, there is something in the spice, yogurt combination that turns Thai's off

The problem with some of these theories is that Thai people will generally lap it up if you don't tell them what it is. I often cook for friends in town. Parties in bars and restaurants and such like. Many years ago it was a pain as the Thai guests would not eat anything so I simply stopped telling them what it was and that solved the problem. The dish most often asked for and seeming most loved (given the amount I have to make at a time) is shrimp, chicken and smoked sausage gumbo. A couple of gallon of that will be gone in 30-40 minutes.

I remember once taking a Thai girl to a Indian restaurant on Sukhumvit in BKK because i fancied a curry and i assumed Thai people would also like Indian curry because it's spicy..
Anyway i order loads of food for the both of us and she picked at it and said "cannot eat".. and she ended up munching away at the poppadoms only whilst i had to contend with the whole amount of food! It would have been a good meal for 3 people and i felt i had to eat it all because i'm like that. I dont want that money to go to waste and i feel embarrassed leaving food.

I had to cram down nearly 900bahts and she later on stoped at a noodle stand for 30baht worth of noodles.

I have a plethitude of interesting and funny stories like this one. I will be sharing them in the coming days

Can't wait to hear them.

Got terrible insomnia and wondered if you do audio clips lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/30/2016 at 11:07 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's what I get from the Thais I've been around as well, Jing. They say they don't like the smell of Indian food, and similarly, tend to not like the "smell" of Indian people either.

That's about what my wife says about me and the Indian food I love. :)  A couple of her Thai and Malaysian friends seem to like Indian food, but my wife (Isaan) does not.

Many years ago there was a tiny little Indian lunch place in a narrow alley quite near the intersection of Pahurat and Yaowarat.  Great stuff, cheap.  They only had 2 or 3 booths.  I tried to find it years later, but it was gone or the 'hood had changed so much I didn't recognize the alley.  I did find one distinguished old Indian gent still selling small fried pastries from a cart on the same street corner about 15 years later. 

• 4 weeks later...
many Indian Restaurant are placed at bangkok with unique dining experience. Everyone eating Indian food with a great experience. You will find a sophisticated crowd of Thai, Indian and Western patrons enjoying the Indian Food. 
Sure thing mate. What percentage Thai?

1 hour ago, bangkok best dining said:

many Indian Restaurant are placed at bangkok with unique dining experience. Everyone eating Indian food with a great experience. You will find a sophisticated crowd of Thai, Indian and Western patrons enjoying the Indian Food. 

Are you practicing writing brochure copy for some kind of Bangkok dining website?

Cuz that's what your post above pretty much reads like, albeit with lackluster English.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Are you practicing writing brochure copy for some kind of Bangkok dining website?

Cuz that's what your post above pretty much reads like, albeit with lackluster English.

Shameless promotion of the website on his profile. Thus ... how does the SPAM taste in Bangkok? 

a brother - in - law came downstairs lookin' fer me after I had just made some curried beans in my western kitchen and made a face that said: 'what's that horrible smell?'

can't blame him much...our apartment block in Abu Dhabi was almost evacuated after my wife made gaeng som...there's a good reason that thais have their kitchens outside...

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, Jingthing said:

They both do curries but Indian curries are 'wrong'.

Yes, Thai people have told me that. :stoner:

Curry (/ˈkʌri/, plural curries) is a dish originating in the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. The common feature is the use of complex combinations of spices or herbs, usually including fresh or dried hot chillies. The use of the term is generally limited to dishes prepared in a sauce.[1] Curry dishes prepared in the southern states of India may be spiced with leaves from the curry tree.[2]

On 12/27/2016 at 7:13 PM, White Christmas13 said:

Curry (/ˈkʌri/, plural curries) is a dish originating in the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. The common feature is the use of complex combinations of spices or herbs, usually including fresh or dried hot chillies. The use of the term is generally limited to dishes prepared in a sauce.[1] Curry dishes prepared in the southern states of India may be spiced with leaves from the curry tree.[2]

or maybe like at a curry house in England...a bit ob this and a bit ob that, don't matter much cause them drunken white boys will lap it up regardless...

but whatever...it sure did taste good while I was livin' there...the english equivalent of 'mexican food' in LA; tasty, available everywhere and cheap...

• 5 weeks later...

The rich and educated thais , do enjoy Indain meals once in a while and normally patronise high-end Indain restaurants liek Gaggan at LangSuan, Rang Mahal at Rembrant, Red, Charcoal, Maya etc. The middle-class thais, unless they are more foreign exposed, will try and some do enjoy Indian Food. The lower strata thai are totally ignorant and normally you have to pay them to eat Indian food , just as to have to pay them for their companionship etc.

On 9/22/2016 at 6:42 AM, bamukloy said:

A true Isaanite will not even consider to have a taste, out of principle.

An average Bangkokian may taste half a teaspoon before gagging.

Bangkokian from wealthy family will eat the whole table.

ps. The latter be 25kg heavier than

former ;0) 

Well when Issan goes to India and Thai resturants are as rare as a clean dunny,they have to eat Indian tucker and surprise,surprise,they like it.

• 1 month later...
On 24/09/2016 at 9:58 AM, Oxx said:

I suspect there is also an aspect that many Thai people look down on Indians, some even viewing them as "khaek" - guests who have outstayed their welcome.

However, Japanese and Koreans are respected, making their food more "acceptable".

I'm pretty sure 'khaek' just has two meanings, by coincidence it means both guest and an Indian / middle Eastern appearing person. It isn't meant to imply that they're guests that overstayed their welcome or that they should leave. 

In the same way that farang just happens to mean both Caucasian / white appearing person, and guava fruit. 

You're correct many look down on Indians though. When I asked a Thai girl why, she replied that Indians 'smell bad'.

Which has some truth to it, and is linked to the cuisine - the ingredients in Indian food seep out of the pores and give a person a distinctive odor. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I figured out one thing most Thai people obviously not like is the cumin in many Indian dishes.

I would agree with this, the scent of cumin is not really used in Thai cuisine and is the reason so many Thais think Indian people smell bad. Sometimes justified, mostly not. Same as any race.

Having said that my ex-gf used to eat any Indian food I cooked... Jalfrezi, bhuna, dopiaza, vindaloo, rogan Josh, etc. Loved mexican chili, homemade pizzas, various forms of ragu and pasta - all down to personal preference.

• 7 months later...

Well, I did like the OP and took my GF to one of the Indian places, near soi 11, on Sukhumvit. She could eat, reluctantly, her main complaint being the taste of lamb, which is unfamiliar for most Thais.

Now, 9 years later she cooks some of the best Indian food I can get in Thailand. She just picks up the recipes on the web, and delivers.

Her pasta, steaks, etc.. are terrific too.  Must say I am quite proud of her, 9 years, two beautiful girls, a diploma in IT and a degree in communications. Managed to keep her busy.

• 1 month later...

Archived