What's The Scariest Movie You've Ever Seen?

tukkytuktuk

how about:

silent hill

the hills have eyes

wrong turn

wasn't the classic "Alien" scary already?

I have always a bit of trouble distinguishing between scary, gore and thrilling - and within scary, there are those who scare and those who inspire fear... the latter are the best... :-)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I watched all the Friday the 13th movies (1980 - 86) on VHS with some friends in the 80's . The light was turned off and volume set to max. I was not very brave when I left the house after midnight and looked over my back for Jason lol.

Edited by balo

10 hours ago, Patsycat said:

When i was a kid it was "The Birds".

Later, it was Freddy - Nightmare on Elm Street.

Nowadays, i like Thrillers with a bit of a story in them.  That can make you jump, without you knowing it is going to happen.

But, why oh why don't those silly people turn lights on when they hear something go bump in the night!!

Yes, "The Birds", I remember when I was young, and came out of the cinema in Glasgow when it finished, and walking down Renfield Street in Glasgow and hearing all the starlings. 

That was real scary, waiting for one to come down and clump me on the head.

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, "The Birds", I remember when I was young, and came out of the cinema in Glasgow when it finished, and walking down Renfield Street in Glasgow and hearing all the starlings. 

That was real scary, waiting for one to come down and clump me on the head.

These days i live on the seventh floor of an eight floor building, they fly past my windows daily.  Crows, pigeons, little seagulls.  They craw craw craw. 

I have started to like them.  Just for the birdsong in the morning.  But if one ever flew through the window i would have a heart attack.

My cats brought dead ones in,  that's alright.  They were dead.  And little, not great big scary birds!!

Not really scary, but Jaws got me jumping.  When the shark attacked the boat!!   And even years later watching that film when i knew it was going to happen - i jumped!!  The music was good.

On 23/09/2016 at 4:48 AM, Ulysses G. said:

Night of the Living Dead scared me more than any movie before or since. The funny thing is that I was too young to actually see the film. It was the advertisement that showed in our local theater that frightened me so badly.

We had to make out we were 18 to get in to see an 'X' film or bunk in through the Exit doors when someone came out.  Our local fleapit had the exit door where the toilets were so bunking in was a piece of piss (no pun intended).

I remember our doing this to see 'The Curse of Frankenstein' with Peter Cushing and wondering what all the fuss was about but there was no way we'd have passed for 18 when that was on at the pictures.

I grew up surfing and was a certified lifeguard and I have to admit, "Jaws" freaked me out a bit.

I saw what you did (1988)

The Omen

School trip to learn scuba diving & the night before the dive they put on jaws... Had the "Der-Dum Der-Dum Der-Dum" running through my head the whole time I was down there (though I don't think you get many great whites at Anglesey).

Scariest thing I remember seeing (as a kid) was Saloms Lot, made it worse it was shown in 2 parts so had to wait a week waiting to find out what happened!!!

Not a horror movie but Lars Von Trier's "Melanchonia" does it for me.

The end scene where they're sitting in the "magic cave" as the rogue planet fills the horizon just fills me with terror as I imagine me and my family in the same imminent death scenario and what reactions we would have.

Revenge of Billy the Kid was harrowing. Not a Western but a chilling drama about an inbred farmer who impregnates his goat then he and his family suffer the disastrous consequences. Said to be based on a true story.

The goat is the only animal that can fall pregnant to human sperm. The film was banned in many countries.

7 hours ago, yogi100 said:

The goat is the only animal that can fall pregnant to human sperm.

I thought you were just making a goat joke here, but I googled it and this is the shocking result !  

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/news-912-Exclusive+Pictures+The+human+goat/news.aspx

It actually happened in Africa , but it didn't live . 

8 hours ago, balo said:

I thought you were just making a goat joke here, but I googled it and this is the shocking result !  

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/news-912-Exclusive+Pictures+The+human+goat/news.aspx

It actually happened in Africa , but it didn't live . 

There are ancient Greek stories relating to Pan and Dionysus about satyrs, curious beings who were creatures with a man's upper body and head albeit with horns sprouting from the skull and a goat's lower torso and legs.

Rumours circulate even today about what Greek shepherds get up to in remote mountainous areas wth their flocks of goats. The same tales are told about the sheep herders of Wales, New Zealand and the workers on the desolate sheep stations in Australia.

Many a tale intended to be humourous has its origins based on truth and actual events.

Download the film from wherever you can find it. If parts of it fail to shock you then you have a stronger stomach than I have. In one callous scene the body of the deceased grandfather is thrown upon the compost heap where it will eventually rot down and be used to fertilise the crops. But the fireworks don't really start till Billy is born.

"The Shallows."  Just came out.  

I'm an avid water sports enthusiast, and I know the statistics are "with me" (compared to driving a car, getting a fatal disease, etc.).   But, I'll be just that less-comfortable the next time I enter the water.   Made me jump.  And not a lot of movies make me jump.  "Jaws" never made me jump.  For some reason, this was so much more "on edge."    Yes, high on the ole Jump-o-Meter.

By the time the victim was shark-bitten, stung by fire-coral, bashed her head against the bouy, and attacked by jelly fish, I was not only jumpy but exhausted too.     :wacko:

Edited by Fookhaht

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

There are ancient Greek stories relating to Pan and Dionysus about satyrs, curious beings who were creatures with a man's upper body and head albeit with horns sprouting from the skull and a goat's lower torso and legs.

Rumours circulate even today about what Greek shepherds get up to in remote mountainous areas wth their flocks of goats. The same tales are told about the sheep herders of Wales, New Zealand and the workers on the desolate sheep stations in Australia.

Many a tale intended to be humourous has its origins based on truth and actual events.

Download the film from wherever you can find it. If parts of it fail to shock you then you have a stronger stomach than I have. In one callous scene the body of the deceased grandfather is thrown upon the compost heap where it will eventually rot down and be used to fertilise the crops. But the fireworks don't really start till Billy is born.

the sheep herders of .........., New Zealand

That's why they wear gumboots ( to put the back legs in, so they can't run away ), and they'd only do it with a pretty one!

NB that's a joke, for the PC humour bereft among us.

2 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

"The Shallows."  Just came out.  

I'm an avid water sports enthusiast, and I know the statistics are "with me" (compared to driving a car, getting a fatal disease, etc.).   But, I'll be just that less-comfortable the next time I enter the water.   Made me jump.  And not a lot of movies make me jump.  "Jaws" never made me jump.  For some reason, this was so much more "on edge."    Yes, high on the ole Jump-o-Meter.

By the time the victim was shark-bitten, stung by fire-coral, bashed her head against the bouy, and attacked by jelly fish, I was not only jumpy but exhausted too.     :wacko:

If you haven't seen it, get "The Reef", makes the Shallows look about as scary as Finding Nemo.. The ending of the Shallows was ridiculous beyond belief.

Edited by giddyup

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you haven't seen it, get "The Reef", leaves the Shallows for dead in terms of frights. The ending of the Shallows was ridiculous beyond belief.

I have defer to your opinion on the ending.  It was as if the screenwriter simply ran out of time, creativity, interest, logic, or all four.  :sad:

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 2.34.37 PM.png

Edited by Fookhaht

• 2 weeks later...
Night of the Living Dead scared me more than any movie before or since. The funny thing is that I was too young to actually see the film. It was the advertisement that showed in our local theater that frightened me so badly.

The part with the naked female Goul got me more erect than scared.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect