What's The Scariest Movie You've Ever Seen?

tukkytuktuk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great question....Gave several movies a bit of thought....

It came down to 2 movies....

Arachnophobia....Which was a real possibilty - happening wise....

Or

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein......

I went with Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.....

That big stitched up guy was really scary......

images-1.jpg

A better question would be what's the scariest movie you haven't seen. Stretching the definition of movie a bit, I refused to watch " Three men, one hammer". Anything involving dogs being boiled alive in China would also screw up my mind. The scariest movie I have seen, probably Night of the Demon, but they screwed it up at the end by actually showing the demon. And I was a kid at the time.

A better question would be what's the scariest movie you haven't seen. Stretching the definition of movie a bit, I refused to watch " Three men, one hammer". Anything involving dogs being boiled alive in China would also screw up my mind. The scariest movie I have seen, probably Night of the Demon, but they screwed it up at the end by actually showing the demon. And I was a kid at the time.

Interesting you mentioned "Night of the Demon" black & white movie but very good when i watched it around 18. Would it still be good i wonder

Psycho was the first horror film I saw and I thought it was pretty scary at the time with the music and the shower scene.

'Hostel' was pretty sick as was 'The Devils' with Oliver Reed.

And 'Freaks' from the 1930s was downright creepy. It was actually banned altogether for years.

Edited by yogi100

4 hours ago, rasg said:

Probably 10 Rillington Place. Not really a horror movie but I was young when I watched it and it kept me awake and I had nightmares.

Now that was a good film.

The black bloke, Rudolf Walker who found the bodies behind the wall at the end of the film went on to be a regular in the popular soap 'Eastenders'.

The Asian version of the ring was well done, not the shitty remake with Naomi Watts in it. The first Insidious was pretty spot on too. Neither movie is particularly scary but shot well enough to make you jump when your meant to.

When I was a teenager in 1980 I watched 'The Fog' by John Carpenter , my first horror movie at the cinemas , and it scared the shit out of me.  I watched it later on DVD and I still found it scary .  Must have been the movie that made me hate fog later in life.

BTW the remake is not the same , go watch the original from 1980 .

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Sure you don't mean "Duel"?

Sorry, yes you are right but it was a long time ago 1971.

Trivia

When Carey Loftin, playing the truck driver, asked Steven Spielberg what his motivation was for tormenting the car's driver, Spielberg told him, "You're a dirty, rotten, no-good son of a bitch." Loftin replied, "Kid, you hired the right man."       

Night of the Living Dead scared me more than any movie before or since. The funny thing is that I was too young to actually see the film. It was the advertisement that showed in our local theater that frightened me so badly.

Edited by Ulysses G.

When i was a kid it was "The Birds".

Later, it was Freddy - Nightmare on Elm Street.

Nowadays, i like Thrillers with a bit of a story in them.  That can make you jump, without you knowing it is going to happen.

But, why oh why don't those silly people turn lights on when they hear something go bump in the night!!

10 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Sorry, yes you are right but it was a long time ago 1971.

Trivia

When Carey Loftin, playing the truck driver, asked Steven Spielberg what his motivation was for tormenting the car's driver, Spielberg told him, "You're a dirty, rotten, no-good son of a bitch." Loftin replied, "Kid, you hired the right man."       

This first twenty minutes or so of Jeepers Creepers are pretty... creepy.