Niece of army torture victim indicted for defaming officer

webfact

3 hours ago, bark said:

Murder by the army is done in most countries. Just here they do it openly.

It isn't so much the murder it's the vindictiveness against the victim's family which stands out in this case. Incredible lack of contrition, sympathy and understanding.

6 hours ago, Hawk said:

They will use threats, intimidation, bullying and violence to suppress critics because they have the power to do so.

Have others not tried and succeeded with suppression? 

Recall the threats and intimidation of the media a few years back. One pointed example. a foreign journnalist, at a media session, who asked the paymaster an awkward question. Paymasters' response was 'idiot scum' and asked for the next question. Journalist was deported the next day.

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Have others not tried and succeeded with suppression? 

Recall the threats and intimidation of the media a few years back. One pointed example. a foreign journnalist, at a media session, who asked the paymaster an awkward question. Paymasters' response was 'idiot scum' and asked for the next question. Journalist was deported the next day.

Yeah, like there is any comparison there whatsoever. 

However we shall mark you down as one who has no problem with this prosecution.

24 minutes ago, baboon said:

Yeah, like there is any comparison there whatsoever. 

However we shall mark you down as one who has no problem with this prosecution.

As if there was ever any doubt!

A particularly feeble ,"but but but" excuse.

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8 hours ago, JAG said:

Exactly that. To be with my family. 

And the hope that when the whole rotten edifice collapses ( and it will ) something better, emerges from the rubble.

The Thai people deserve it.

For it to collapse the average person would have to shake off centuries of class oppression, brain washing and being subservient. Would also need a healthy disrespect for authority and be educated enough to question the status quo. In short your talking about revolution and I just don't think the Thai people have got it in them. They certainly deserve better though.

13 hours ago, bark said:

Most countries do not show people being killed. They just do it;   No can finds out.

try "Live  Leak" if u want to see people being  killed,  shot ,beheaded ,skewered, raped etc etc

10 hours ago, jesimps said:

I was going to say "Unbelievable", but it isn't, it's very believable in this country. You have just one option here, lay down and let the rich and powerful walk all over you, because you have no hope of redress.

actually  there is some  hope  but after youve  killed them youll probably  join them

19 hours ago, JAG said:

Not content with shooting themselves in the foot, they are now trying to do so with a howitzer! 

Do these people have any inkling of how absurd they are making themselves, and the state which they purport to serve, look?

The rich and powerful seem to still be rich and powerful.  So I guess it's working for them, no matter how absurd it may seem to us.  Crafty, they are.

To the outside world?   They don't care...  It'll be forgotten in favor of cheap hotels and pretty women when it's time to plan the next holiday.

Edit: Meanwhile, the next person considering pooping in the punch bowl is having second thoughts.

Edited by impulse

22 hours ago, JAG said:

Exactly that. To be with my family. 

And the hope that when the whole rotten edifice collapses ( and it will ) something better, emerges from the rubble.

The Thai people deserve it.

Sadly, the Thai people don't appear to deserve it. They are the one's that allow the system to perpetuate.

Tell them, not us TV commentators.

Edited by Saraphee
change context

if the Dill (of a) Snake was a 3 striper back when all this started - what is his Rank now?? 

was he rapidly and quietly promoted, in order to protect the system from lowly outsiders?

but then one only gets promoted - up to their level of incompetance

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

However bad Thai politicians are to compare them with serial killers is a step to far. :D

I know. It was a joke (that's what the lol smiley was for). But Thai politicians are bad enough that for enlightened westerners such as ourselves to be anything other than interested observers/commentators is plainly absurd.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not my history.. I am not American and far younger then you. So to expect me to know all about American history is crazy. 

McCarthy is before my time too, as it goes. You lazy bones.

(No North Americans in this post.)

The officer filing this defamation charge has influential connections through his father, General Choke Perksophon, who is a senior member of ISOC and a member of army class 14 along with several junta members.

To the outside world?   They don't care...  It'll be forgotten in favor of cheap hotels and pretty women when it's time to plan the next holiday.

I think this statement sums up that what happens here in Thailand stays in Thailand.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:39 AM, impulse said:

The rich and powerful seem to still be rich and powerful.  So I guess it's working for them, no matter how absurd it may seem to us.  Crafty, they are.

Edit: Meanwhile, the next person considering pooping in the punch bowl is having second thoughts.

Edited by akampa

49 minutes ago, Orac said:

The officer filing this defamation charge has influential connections through his father, General Choke Perksophon, who is a senior member of ISOC and a member of army class 14 along with several junta members.

Ah ha - born into it! 

I suppose the charges will stick then...

Rather explains the rapid promotion as well.

I do wonder how these "warriors" would behave in a real firefight - actually no, I have a pretty good idea what they would be like.

Edited by JAG

Well, it is only a filing (but should not have happened) and now up to a "court" to dismiss or uphold. The court's decision will remove any doubt about the stupidity of this Thai law.

Slightly OT - shouldn't corrupt ROYAL Thai Police be charged with les majeste for defaming their King?