Q: Natural sleeping help?

Swiss1960

Looking for good natural sleeping help for my wife, be it tea or other herbal stuff and of course your input, where I can find it. I want to get her off the medicine stuff that she is taking now

Thanks in advance for your input

Melatonin. Not sure where to get in Thailand. Maybe online. Natural substance.

White wine...small glass an hour before bedtime. 

Chamomile tea relaxes you.

Warm Milk remedy works for children and should work for adults too.

Stress reduction. Anything to relax before bed. Yoga, reading, music.

can also get melatonin from lazada onlinme. And chamomile tea in many supermarkets.

Valerian also helps some people.

However in my experience people who have been taking sedatives for sleep often reject such treatments as not working. They work in a very different way than do sleeping pills - just hep induce a natural sleepiness/relaxation. They do not knock you out, and people who have gotten in the habit of taking sleeping pills have often come to expect/seek that.

Melatonin. Available online from Thai websites. 

ZMA. Again available from Thai websites. 

Plenty of excersize during the day. Is she a typical Thai that sits doing nothing all day then wonders why she cant sleep

at night.

A damn good seeing to before she goes to sleep. Works for mrsphil 

7 hours ago, tonray said:

Melatonin. Not sure where to get in Thailand. Maybe online. Natural substance.

White wine...small glass an hour before bedtime. 

Chamomile tea relaxes you.

Warm Milk remedy works for children and should work for adults too.

Stress reduction. Anything to relax before bed. Yoga, reading, music.

Melatonin,you can get at local Pharmacy.

1 hour ago, yobosayo said:

Melatonin has been linked to dementia!!!

Well, sort of.  Some links found via Google show that melatonin "might possibly prevent" dementia.  When I read your post, I thought you were implying the opposite.

The same as with other challenges, there are at least two components- Physical and Emotional.

So it would be good for your wife to get checked by an MD, regarding blood pressure etc.

The emotional side of things is usually more slippery. 

We all have ways of worrying unnecessarily, and sometimes we lack a good healthy sense of self.

I think we can get the results we desire by engaging in various forms of mindfulness practices. Yoga and meditation being two great ways to come to a place of stillness.

In my understanding, what we are wanting to do is slow down the thinking mind, by harnessing it to our breath and movements. Yoga and meditation have at this point been shown scientifically to have marked results on one's sense of well-being, but such activities take a while to get results, and many folks quickly give up. There are many, many forms of meditation and mindfulness practices, so if you don't seem to get results, or you just don't feel comfortable with one method, try another. 

Getting off sleep medications will often take a bit of help. The body and psyche get used to "being helped" and therefore usually we feel ill at ease when we stop taking such medication, regardless of what is going on in our lives. 

I have a stress management program available that might prove helpful. There are several free files available on my site, and the complete program is not at all expensive. Have a look at www.seishindo.org

45 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...melatonin...

...but you will have to be very careful weaning her off the poisons she's been taking....

If you are saying that he has to get her to stop eating fried pork and SomTam with PlaRa...that will take a miracle.

I am the worlds greatest sleeper. Anything longer than 30 seconds to fall asleep is long

for me. That said the quality of the sleep is dependent more on the absence of light

than anything so I use real blackout curtains. The room is exceptionally dark even in

the day. No charging electronics/ no TV in the bedroom. Best of luck. :smile:

You can buy Natural Factors, Stress Release, Tranquil Sleep online from iHerb.  Shipping is quick and free.  It works well for me.  It contains 3 mg of Melatonin in addition to other ingredients.  As some other posters have written, if your wife is used to taking benzodiazapines, weaning off of them takes some time.  Google getting off of benzodiazapines and you will find some weaning off schedules.  Actually, if her quality of life is not being affected and her dosage is small, there may be no reason to stop them.  Ambien and Ativan are short-acting sedatives and if their dosage is small there may be no effect that lingers after eight hours of sleep.  Be very cautious because abrupt withdrawal can cause bad side effects.  There are differing opinions about taking benzos.  Some people think that they should not be taken at all and some think that a continuing small dose is OK.  The insidious danger is increasing the dosage of benzos until they DO affect your daily functioning.

At any rate, you can look on iHerb.com and read the reviews of different natural sleep inducers.  Good luck.

Physical excercise so that the body is tired. A lot of Thais don't sleep well because they don't excercise.

Having an orgasm also helps (a serious suggestion). If your wife doesn't orgasm easily then use a vibrator or some other mechanical aid.  I sleep easily but sometimes my wife can't fall asleep and i will wake to the buzzing of the 'Magic Wand' - she comes and ten minutes later she's asleep... Better than tablets etc.

31 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Physical excercise so that the body is tired. A lot of Thais don't sleep well because they don't excercise.

Having an orgasm also helps (a serious suggestion). If your wife doesn't orgasm easily then use a vibrator or some other mechanical aid.  I sleep easily but sometimes my wife can't fall asleep and i will wake to the buzzing of the 'Magic Wand' - she comes and ten minutes later she's asleep... Better than tablets etc.

An open and honest posting. No false coyness. Well done, mate.

2 hours ago, alofthailand said:

Antihistamina based sleeping pills are non addictive and effective. Atarax for example. Also try hypnosis apps and Binaural beats.

Not to rain on you all's parade, but if I am not mistaken, he asked for a Natural remedy, not more drugs - but I must say, meletonin worked for me in Baghdad.............

At times I will go to bed and then feel as though I just woke up.

I don't think about it or worry about it, just go and sit down with a book for a while, sometimes for a few hours and then I get back into bed and fall asleep.

Not every time, just sometimes, a glass of wine while reading seems to help in getting to the 'feel like bed now' situation.

I can imagine that the feeling of 'why can't I sleep' is one of the main things that keep people awake.

Not easy to stop yourself thinking like that when it happens I know but reading etc can take your mind away from it.

Not an overnight cure but the biggest thing to convince yourself of is that it happens and it's not that big a deal so don't worry about it.

first of all, thank you ALL for your contributions and ideas. Few comments:

• my wife does NOT take sleeping medicaments regularly, more or less when it is REALLY bad like not having slept for days, so addiction is not an issue
  • thanks for all the other tips like physical excercices, both the ones she can do alone and the ones we do together.. the latter help ME sleep like a baby, but not her... 
  • yes, yoga or any other anti-stress therapies would help her also, but she has no patience with that.

So  melatonin or chamomile tea it will be, just have to find the best "sell pitch" to make her take it. 

Again, thanks to all for the various tips.