Thanks, Now What To Pay?

jimbbc

Thanks guys for the replies on building a kitchen, now about what will it cost, low end, but nice. I'm thinking about 9' (3 meters) long with simple cabinets, no oven, but cook top and sink and maybe marble or granite top. Any ideas?

26,000 baht

Thanks guys for the replies on building a kitchen, now about what will it cost, low end, but nice. I'm thinking about 9' (3 meters) long with simple cabinets, no oven, but cook top and sink and maybe marble or granite top. Any ideas?

Typically 14000 baht a mtr for floor cabinets only, 16000 baht for top and bottom cabinets all with granite tops.

Other option buy the Kitzcho doors and frames and build a block frame then tile it. Can look very nice indeed. The Kitzcho doors and frames are everywhere and probably the best finish you can find. Only problem with Kiztcho the doors are all 60 x 80 which is a bit small but still OK :o

Granite about baht 4000 baht a mtr depending on type.

Edited by Rimmer

Typically 14000 baht a mtr for floor cabinets only, 16000 baht for top and bottom cabinets all with granite tops.

Other option buy the Kitzcho doors and frames and build a block frame then tile it. Can look very nice indeed. The Kitzcho doors and frames are everywhere and probably the best finish you can find. Only problem with Kiztcho the doors are all 60 x 80 which is a bit small but still OK :o

I may be wrong but i thought that granite prices started at about 1200 baht per metre + the cost of cutting any holes and installation. I know that the price also depends on the color, with black being the most expensive.

JMO but I think that building kitchens with blocks has a lot of merit. With the humidity here you get a lot of mould and mildew. Add the odd plumbing mishap with the pvc and you dont get a very long life span. The block construction type may not quite come up to the same standard in looks but you can still make it look quite smart. Also the block construction type is much less expensive.

I may be wrong but i thought that granite prices started at about 1200 baht per metre + the cost of cutting any holes and installation. I know that the price also depends on the color, with black being the most expensive.

JMO but I think that building kitchens with blocks has a lot of merit. With the humidity here you get a lot of mould and mildew. Add the odd plumbing mishap with the pvc and you dont get a very long life span. The block construction type may not quite come up to the same standard in looks but you can still make it look quite smart. Also the block construction type is much less expensive.

Yes for top quality granite you can pay the earth. The speckled black grey stuff commonly known as "Chinese granite" starts around 4k a mtr. But when you talk a mtr run on a kitchen you are only talking about something that is 60cm deep.

If you want to use block construction Q Con Blocks are around 22 baht each vs 3 baht for the cinder blocks but you will have an easier build and much nicer job. They can be cut easily with a hand saw or angle grinder cutter to any shape you need. Then tile over the front. Q Con blocks are

10 x 20 x 60 and all the same size. So 4 blocks high = 80cm plus the granite, that will be around standard kitchen height of 85 to 90 cm. Before anyone points out the obvious, Q Con uses glue not morter so there is very little space betweeen blocks. :D

Hi Jim

Having worked in the stone industry for quite a while designing manufacturing and installing work tops

IMHO you should only go for granite if

A).you are a relatively careful and tidy cook

B ).you dont put hot cooking pans etc on the worktops

C).always use a chopping board

D).you dont stand on the tops and or drop things on them

E).dont allow anybody else to do any of the above

things to look out for in the stone

do NOT use marble in the kitchen far too porous stains easily chips even easier very weak stone

granite is good nero absoluto is the strongest and looks fantastic BUT it surface is so shiny it gets damaged very easily

avoid this type of stone the larger the chunks in the speckled spotty type they weaker the stone

always always look at the back of the slabs you are choosing

this will give you a good idea how good the stone is and show up any vents or defects

run your fingers along the stone and feel for any surface imperfections

these will allow food stuffs and or colourings to enter the stone causing stains and or smells

I have been slated by my brother and my dad as wherever I go in thailand or in the far east I have yet to find granite or marble that has been the correct stone for the job ,well made polished installed and finished off properly especially the edges they have got the same problem now as every bar toilet hotel reception they go in as soon as thier hands touch the stone they subconsiously check the edge and the finish quite funny to watch

be very carefull who you get to install the stone as it can get damaged very easily during installation

make sure it is all decided on the finish and the QUALITY of installation before you part with any cash at all

much cheaper if you get an overmounted sink as you dont have to polish the rim of the stone around the sink and sloped drainer grooves look really nice ONLY when done properly on a machine

P.M. for any further info you want

I can always check with my boss about the best stone for kitchen and let you know what to look for in greater detail

In Pattaya where my brother is building his house I have seen some very good and also some very bad stone there is one yard thaat has a fantastic display of granite floors in may designs and his stone is good quality

cheers

Jing-Jo

Hi Jim

Having worked in the stone industry for quite a while designing manufacturing and installing work t

SNIP

In Pattaya where my brother is building his house I have seen some very good and also some very bad stone there is one yard thaat has a fantastic display of granite floors in may designs and his stone is good quality

cheers

Jing-Jo

Very interesting and informatave post, thanks for that. I personaly don't like the stuff and prefer the formica tops.

I suspect you are talking about the big yard with the waterfall outside on Sukhumvit, Left side going South just before the Hua Yai turn right?