PM: Thailand’s international image improves

rooster59

" Thanks to the current situation in Thailand which has been peaceful "... errr... Does he not know about the two recent bombing campaigns then? Or the continuance of terror campaigns in the south? I'm gobsmacked and I'm not normally gobsmacked by what comes out of his mouth! Maybe it's the students getting locked up for daring to voice opinions that the rest of the World like so much? Beats me..

7 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

it is delusional to think that the International community thinks much about Thailand, let alone thought warmly of.

Personally  I don't think the international  community gives a rats about Thailand, except maybe China, it is not a strategic  location, considering Viet Nam is now more "friendly" and welcoming, that and the fact it doesn't  particularly  like China. Manufacturing are looking more and more to other nations, cheaper, more sable and your not as likely to have the carpet pulled out from under you.

Yes they understand that you arrest people with mocked up sections and Lese charges. They also understand that you can be attacked and even killed. Due to the fact that Thais know foreigners are not favoured. Along with no law reforms. Nothing only talk.

I believe your out with your road map.  But took a wrong turn in Esan.

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Disagree. I think the days of cheap popular masses being roused to protect Shin assets and get that family back in control of the trough to enrich themselves are gone. Shin political vehicles and very undemocratic UDD are being seen for what they are. 

However, there are a few non Shin controlled organizations springing up. What their character is like we have yet to see.

As for the UN - very expensive total waste of space. Anything that goes off there is poppycock.

well i hope you are right. however if my time in thailand has taught me anything is that power corrupts and the current government that is currently in power have almost absolute power. the last thing they have to achieve is muzzling the cops. i will be surprised if the minority can really govern the majority. but time will tell. i have sold up everything and am in a good position to leave at short notice because i am fairly sure things will go down hill from here.

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Disagree. I think the days of cheap popular masses being roused to protect Shin assets and get that family back in control of the trough to enrich themselves are gone. Shin political vehicles and very undemocratic UDD are being seen for what they are. 

However, there are a few non Shin controlled organizations springing up. What their character is like we have yet to see.

As for the UN - very expensive total waste of space. Anything that goes off there is poppycock.

No one knows though, do they, because the "cheap popular masses" (the very phrase oozes contempt doesn't it) are being denied the opportunity to indulge in any political activity aren't they?  You may recall this is being done by a military junta which allowed the blocking of a constitutional election, in order to create the opportunity to overthrow an elected government (which had been chosen by those "cheap popular masses"), and suspended the constitution, including just about all political freedoms, 

Take away the threat of imprisonment without proper trial for any political activity, and we might just have a better idea of what the "cheap popular masses" think.

They won't risk that, I wonder why?

Edited by JAG

2 hours ago, Xircal said:

According to the Corruption Perceptions Index Thailand came in at 76th place with a ranking of 38 out of a possible 100 in 2015 which is the same as 2014. So where's the improvement?

Somebody should send this report to he who must be obeyed...

Thanks to the internet and multimedia, it's amazing how he thinks he can pull the wool over peoples eyes..

Thailand’s image in the international community has improved. 

says the little man with his unexplainable wealth who rose to the top of Thailand's most corrupt organization only to make the jump to "officially" control the entire country after his military coup and has subsequently run the country's economy into the ditch, removed any pretence of respect for human rights and simultaneously executed a political purge while dramatically changing the balance of the country's alliances to those countries which have more appreciation for Generals being in control of everything... 

Sure, he's believable...  :whistling:

1 hour ago, merlin2002 said:

Thanks to the internet and multimedia, it's amazing how he thinks he can pull the wool over peoples eyes..

Indeed! We're no longer living in the age of typewriters and printed newspapers, but the PM doesn't seem to grasp that fact.

There's an even worse finding by the FIDH where they reported on the human rights conference in Geneva which took place on May 11 this year which a Thai delegation attended. It makes for interesting reading but I think it's too controversial and sensitive to post a link to it here. But if you Google the following search string, it should appear at the top of the list: fidh.org Thailand government deceives international community

1 hour ago, merlin2002 said:

Indeed! We're no longer living in the age of typewriters and printed newspapers, but the PM doesn't seem to grasp that fact.

There's an even worse finding by the FIDH where they reported on the human rights conference in Geneva which took place on May 11 this year which a Thai delegation attended. It makes for interesting reading but I think it's too controversial and sensitive to post a link to it here. But if you Google the following search string, it should appear at the top of the list: fidh.org Thailand government deceives international community

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

"Cheap popular masses"?!?"  You are sounding like Sonthi Limtongkul.  Are these masses to be juxtaposed with the tightwad and venal Sino-Thai Hi-Sos and their partners in crime?  People forget that Thaksin won the hearts and minds of the larger population by throwing them some bones while raping the country.  The now slowly being dismantled Shin political vehicles are being replaced by new and equally rapacious political vehicles controlled by the newly empowered Chan-Ocha clan.  If all the current trends continue Thailand shall become the next North Korea.

12 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Do you prefer the "democracy" of the last few years prior to the last coup, which caused absolute chaos and open corruption, to the way of return to eventual democracy and a peaceful situation in Thailand (except for the south where even a full western like democracy won't stop the terror), set out in the proposed charter? I know which alternative I prefer.

I stopped believing fairy stories aged about 3 .