Twenty one Thai women freed from Middle East brothel

webfact

9 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Exploitation in an Arab country surely not !

Morals so far above infidels,

This must mean that the United nations is not aware of this business going on for years and that it is ok for middle eastern and other countries including LOS to human traffic and enslave females.

Cut the heads off the leaders of these countries.

As I see it most if not all of the girls new what they were getting into (prostitution)

but the issue I expect for most of them is that they were not paid, and the living

conditions that they were kept in. Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, nausea said:

As I understand it it's legal, but you have to have a temporary marriage lasting 1 or 2 hours. Remember Moslems can have more than one wife.

OH!  I forgot.  Great religion; the only one without "the Golden Rule."

16 hours ago, laislica said:

It's stories like this that quite rightly cause the Thai authorities worry about the safety of Thai ladies going abroad for work.

It's unfortunate that the authorities don't worry about the women while they are here.  Western history and literature is filled with wars and conflicts started/ended because the men did not want harm to come to their women.  Here in Thailand, it's just the opposite.  Women and children are sold and bartered here.  There is no honor among Thai men whose instinct should be to protect their vulnerable citizens.  

On 26/09/2016 at 7:02 PM, nausea said:

As I understand it it's legal, but you have to have a temporary marriage lasting 1 or 2 hours. Remember Moslems can have more than one wife.

The temporary marriage issue is not pertinent here although when I was on Iran it was used by families to intimidate their wayward daughters who would be given to a neighbour or uncle to be raped. The hymen would be re stitched and the girl would toe the line for the rest of her life. There are 3 kinds of temporary marriage in modern Islam.As for regular prostitution- it is very common in Bahrain - Dubai- Oman and is legal in Turkey. 

I never react, but when I read the reactions I need to. If you the right contact(s) in the Middle East, you can indeed make a lot of money in the massage sector. Normally 2 year contract, 1 month holiday. And you can just rent a room. Passport not taken. Thousends of Thai work in these parlours, making small fortunes and are treated well. Believe me, I know first hand ;-) 

But some scum do bad, like in any other businesses.

On 9/26/2016 at 10:48 AM, Krataiboy said:

100,000 baht a month working as a masseuse - and they didn't smell a rat?  Hard to believe, though I shudder at the treatment they claim was doled out to them in lieu of the money.

And very few of their clientele wearing a condom. God knows what diseases they picked up which might now be passed on back home.

There is a very murky underworld of people who mislead girls into going abroad to support their families. When told they have adebt to pay off they try to get another girl over to pay it off. If they ever try to get out they are told their families will be in danger. Frequently, husbands know whats going on. Lured into drinking and gambling they frequently lose their earnings. Happens in London and elsewhere

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, nausea said:

No Nausea, this generally not true (However see my caveat below). There is such an arrangement, known as nikah mut'ah, that is recognized by some sects of Islam, but not all them. In the main, Shias do recognize it but Sunnis do not. And as the great majority of Gulf Arabs are the latter, it cannot be applied.

There is also another a key element that must apply. The lady in the arrangement must be both a Muslim and chaste. That hardly describes the 'working girls' in the night clubs of Dubai does it! Also the length of the arrangement is somewhat longer than 1 or 2 hours.

I have heard of this arrangement being used (Abused would be a better word) in Egypt to get around the laws there and possibly to assuage the consciences of visiting Gulf Arabs who are the main customers (You never know when Allah is watching), but the Egyptians are pretty slick at twisting anything around to suit their purposes.

There was also talk of this idea being adopted in Iran (Which is Shai of course) as a means of 'legalizing' the rampant prostitution there, but nothing has come of it.

And just for the record, I am not an apologist for Islam. Anything but! I did spend a long time in the region and got to know its ways.

Edited by Moonlover

Sorry if this has been covered already but the mamasan of this operation has paid money to get these women to the country and expects repayment by "labor" until its repaid ?

Does that mean these freed sex slaves will have the debt follow them back to Thailand? After all, there is typically a "local" who recruited them who has a prsence in Thailand ?

If the women were truly forced to work as a prostitiute against their will then I am glad this ordeal is over but some may be looking for work again soon ?

True story.
My girlfriend knows of a 31 year old Thai woman from her village in Chiang Mai that only a few months ago opened what seemed a decent massage and spa shop in the area.

We discovered that the massage and spa she has here is just a front of respectability to impress her family. In there she works by the book, no specials or happy endings. She really doesn’t care if the business makes money or not. Then there is her other lifestyle, so totally different that her 2 worlds could never meet.

She stays in Thailand for 1 month, and then she flies off to Colombo in Sri Lanka and once there commutes between the Maldives, Colombo and Kandy Sri Lanka where she becomes a hardcore prostitute for another month. So has 2 identities, the respectable owner of a spa and doting mother of a 2 year old baby and then a hard-core sex worker Thai prostitute working in Sri Lanka.

How it works: Thai people are visa exempt is they travel as tourists by plane to Sri Lanka for no more than 30 days. The fare money direct form Chiang Mai to Sri Lanka is not expensive, only 8000 baht return and probably only a two and a half hour to 3 hour journey. There is an illegal agency operating on a social networking site that sets these girls up with jobs in massage and spa parlours that are all fronts for brothels in Sri Lanka or in illegal sex bars. The girls are in Sri Lanka on a 30 day visa exempt stay as tourists but are actually there working as prostitutes illegally. The Sri Lanka government turns a blind eye to it because it’s good for the tourist trade.

Then after 30 days the woman returns to Thailand and resumes her life here again for 1 month and then back to Sri Lanka again for another 30 days working illegally as a prostitute, meaning she alternates between Thailand and Sri Lanka 6 times a year. I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg, that many Thai women are working this system around the 30 day visa exempt countries all over Asia.

These Thai women can earn more money as sex workers in Sri Lanka where the law is much more tolerate, although prostitution is still illegal in Sri Lanka, then they can in Thailand, but it is known that the big money up for grabs for Thai sex workers is in the Middle East although it is much more difficult for Thai women to travel and get visas there. Many of these Thai women know full well what they are getting into, but the stakes are high and so they take the risks in the hope it will work out.