Briton gets 4,000 baht fine for not staying where he was registered

webfact

4 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Why is it so hard for those living here to comply with the rules? The days of doing as you like here are rapidly coming to an end. 

Those days have NEVER been here. They should just go ahead and merge with North Korea. They seem to admire the byzantine and draconian laws so much. They regularly extract rules from their rectums as the occasion for revenue presents itself. Why do they NEED to know exactly where you are? Perhaps so they can hunt you down to extract MORE cash from you. Thieves with badges.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

So how do they expect someone for example travelling around Thailand for 30 days to write on the TM card where they are staying? Some tourist might stay in 6 or 7 different places during there trip here.  Another example, you go to your girlfriend/wife's home village for 3 for 4 weeks.  While away, you are not staying where you are registered either.  

Your wife/girlfriend should report you within 24hrs or cop the fine.

2 minutes ago, sabaii69 said:

Only a quality tourist can afford the Royal Cliff and you toss him?

In other news a 41 year old Kyrgyzstan national called Nikita Komissarov was arrested in the lobby of the Royal Cliff Beach hotel on Friday last. He was found to have overstayed by 714 days.

Arrested in the Lobby, does not mean he was staying there...

Probably the hotel had asked the police to remove a vagrant from the lobby... :shock1:

Just now, Shawn0000 said:

Yes, because tattoos are really unpopular in Thailand and you never see respectable people like monks with tattoos, right?

tatu161.jpg

haven't an inkling where you got that from?  :ph34r:     :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

So how do they expect someone for example travelling around Thailand for 30 days to write on the TM card where they are staying? Some tourist might stay in 6 or 7 different places during there trip here.  Another example, you go to your girlfriend/wife's home village for 3 for 4 weeks.  While away, you are not staying where you are registered either.  

Tourists registration are the responsibility of the hotel, that is why they need your details when you check in, and if they do not register you it is them who get fined, not the tourist, long stayers and staying in private houses is different, then the onus is on the foreigner.

6 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Tourists registration are the responsibility of the hotel, that is why they need your details when you check in, and if they do not register you it is them who get fined, not the tourist, long stayers and staying in private houses is different, then the onus is on the foreigner.

Not sure if that is the case either.  My wife can fill out the TM30, without me being there, I usually park the car as she is taking care of the paper work, show up, exchange smiles with the IO's and head out the door with my wife.

Further explanation on who is required to submit the TM30 can be found here.

The Aussie tourist's lament...I had to show a booking for a room stating the exact time of my arrival in Thailand, also the flight details for my stay in Cha-am or else the Consul in Australia would not issue a 60 day tourist visa for me .  I had to also prove that on the day of applying that I had $800 Aus in the bank to support me during the 60 days.  It had to be a current statement not a week old or a month old.  I could have given them a my last monthly statement downloaded from the internet.  I had much more then $800 in my account. Before the bank would fax an interim statement all sorts of release to the bank had to be provided,  I had to establish a OTP. before the bank issued the document.  The Consul would only accept hard copy and would not print out a hard copy from an email as it is against regulations even though he admitted there was a photocopier 10 feet away from him and he did have a printer that would do the job.   I live in the country location in Australia I could not fax the information to him as he does not have a fax they don't like using paper it costs money, all document provided must be presented as hard copy with a current bank stamp on it...the application from start to finish took 18 days and much back and forth.  I also had to give him a copy of an e-ticket showing the exact flight I arrived on  and the exact flight I will be departing on.

I have on a number of previous occasions applied and been granted this type of visa and all was OK.  Come the Hau Hin terrorist attack and everything changed.  It doesn't matter that 400 people or more each week get killed on the roads in Thailand?

Strangely when the 60 day tourist visa arrived it clearly stated it was as usual and that I could arrive in Thailand any time during the next 90 days and  it was good for enacting  anytime during that next 90 days.  I could have just delayed my trip 89 days  or changed my flight and all would have been OK.  Once the visa was issued I could choose any arrival date over the next 90 days.  I love that word oxymoron.  A whole lot of strict inflexible rules but all different?  Take your choice.

I really think this is bonkers!...do they really want tourists in Thailand.  If Cha-am and Hue Hin is any indication there could be a million or more up market hotel rooms  vacant in Thailand.  Strangely on my trip from from Aus via KL then to BKK at KL I was only transient a few hours.   Malaysian Immigration issued me with a 90 day tourist visa without even requesting it and the officer invited me to break my journey and stay for awhile...yes a 90 day on arrival tourist visa without any application nonsense forms...come on Thailand put your thinking caps on.

I look out my hotel room in Cha-am at great big hotels all the way to Hau Hin all about just about empty, thousands and thousands of  empty rooms.  This situation is replicated all over Thailand,  I wonder does Thailand really want tourists?  I'd love to see them do better and they can, if they want to.

5 hours ago, Hooliganzone said:

Many single people come here just on a flight and find a place to stay after they have arrived, so how can you write the name of the place your going to stay on the TM card if you don't know where.:unsure::unsure:

I see it all the time on the plane coming into Bangkok, backpackers asking what to put on the card... 

5 hours ago, Hooliganzone said:

Many single people come here just on a flight and find a place to stay after they have arrived, so how can you write the name of the place your going to stay on the TM card if you don't know where.:unsure::unsure:

Years back when I didn't have a permanent address I used to just write Pattaya as place residing thats it and nobody ever questioned it, I don't know nowadays.

This guy surely wasn't a tourist as you don't have to register an address if your a tourist, the hotels you stay at are supposed to call immigration to let them know you are there. They rarely do.

5 hours ago, Ronuk said:

It's not about Thais. It's about foreigners being incapable of complying with the rules. 

Wait and see what is about to develop over the next 12 months for those that fail to comply. Some would say it's about time too.

Why do you care Ronuk? Just because they are the Rules doesn't mean that it's fair. Next it will be nighttime curfews and ankle bracelets and you still be defending these draconian laws. 

4 hours ago, silent said:

Let he who is without sin throw the biggest stone.This is like making front page news for a fine less than the lowest speeding ticket where most of us are from. Please be real.

Please let us know where you are from, so I can stay clear of that place.

40 000 B for some km over the speed limit 5555

9 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Why do you care Ronuk? Just because they are the Rules doesn't mean that it's fair. Next it will be nighttime curfews and ankle bracelets and you still be defending these draconian laws. 

I care because people that fail to comply continue to make it harder for us that do. Rather than poultry fines, deport and ban them.

6 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Good Job Immigration fro the 4k THB. Just do everything what is possible to shy away tourists. I think, the best solution could be to to assign to every foreigner an guide, like in North Korea.

Burmese can come here and stay anywhere, we cant move around Myanmar without reporting or have a chaperone when you move between cities.

The law is ok but it is overkill , if you go to BK for a few days you have to report back to your home town when you return.

I have been away for 4 months overseas my address from immigration is still in my passport, its even on my NZ visa information and recorded by the Thai embassy in NZ, so should I go back into town and tell them I'm back because they know already when I passed through immigration at BK.

If I changed my house I would go and report it but I've been in the same house 3 years, next time I go on tiki tour I will be on the lookout.

:shock1:

7 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Good Job Immigration fro the 4k THB. Just do everything what is possible to shy away tourists. I think, the best solution could be to to assign to every foreigner an guide, like in North Korea.

7 hours ago, alocacoc said:

He is not a tourist.

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

No it is not.It is the responsibility of the house master/owner.

1 hour ago, KBsinter said:

Not so, we have all been to immigration and not have the" Right" this and that, in my early days here

I had no idea at all ! still don"t to a point.I moved to Bangkok 2yrs ago from Pattaya and decided too 

register my new home,about a month late, was very lucky the I.O was a senior officer,but my Wife 

helped in this matter,explaining the Falang was not sure he wanted to stay there,!! long story but his entry in 

my P/P was excellent, appriecate your post had some sarcasm  !!lol 

As a rule I think its like night and day for those with a wife and those without. I don't know where I'd be if not for her explanations that there is no intent for anything that wouldn't fly somewhere else. I appreciate you have a rare commodity to see the sarcasm.  

5 hours ago, Breizh said:

As far as I understand it is for the owner of the hotel you stay in or the owner of the house you are renting to fill the TM30 form and bring it to the immigration. So this guy may have been fined for someone's else "mistake".

It is quite possible!.

I have checked into several hotels in Thailand after booking online in my name,..at the check in desk the staff were not interested in registering me, they always asked for my Thai wife's ID,...I really think that they just can't be bothered doing the foreign registration !

4 hours ago, TerrylSky said:

This reminds me of communist China. Not only do I have to register where I stay, I have to register guests who come and stay with me; a big inconvenience for me and them; and for what? Visas, guest registration, home registration, travel registration, <deleted>, soon they'll want me to register when I go to a go go bar, what's the point in all of this except to create more jobs and red tape and hassle. Indeed, it's another step to moving to my new second home... quite far from Thailand thankfully., and I will take every baht I have - and then some, leaving behind a few unemployed people too.

This has been the case for ages,so you should have left by now.

3 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Maybe thais should set an example first. Clean the backyards first so to speak so these types of rules dont feel so personal, intrusive and just more scams to make cash. Then it would make more sense to me personally. Would be a better place. Has to be some sort of equality.

Where's the scam?

Very refreshing to see we are concentrating on the impotent stuff.

Good guy in Bad guys out,    Nonsense

This stuff below,    just don't matter at all.

About 64 a day. i think,   children as well,     Amazing Thailand.  :bah:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/944768-one-killed-as-honda-civic-smashes-through-3-shop-houses/

Archived