MOT test.

wgdanson

Went today to the Phitsanulok Vehicle place to get new number plate as I have moved from Pattaya. GF queued for 30 mins in one office, then told to join a queue of cars being 'checked'. When my turn came after 20 minutes, the guy asked me to lift the bonnet (hood for you Yanks), he felt something in there, took an imprint of one rear tyre (tire), and that was it, vehicle is roadworthy. Another 45 minutes wait for the data to be put in a computer, and we can go back in 3 or 4 days time so they can fit the new plates.

No wonder there are so many un-roadworthy vehicles in LOS if this is all they do. Anybody, how often does a vehicle need 'MOTing' here please?

" So many un-roadworthy vehicles in LOS "  How do you come that conclusion !!.

Your car probably wasn't 7 year old ??  Well after the year times stated in web site below they have to be check every year or you won't get your road disc.

Don't see anything wrong with that, it's the way they do things here. 

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-thailand-car-maintenanceMotorbikes 

Edited by Kwasaki

I doubt that this was a motor vehicle test.

Those tests are not done at the DLT (transport office) but at licensed private workshops and cost a certain fee.

What has been done is likely a simple identification (comparing blue book with frame and motor number or the like).

But the thing with the tires(?) is a bit puzzling :biggrin:

Usually the imprint is taken from the frame number.

In my car it is embossed under the driver footrest.

Certain about the tires?

Did you see him fiddling with tires or just kneeling at the driver side?

I did not witness a "MOT" for a car so far but just for a motorcycle at one of the private workshops.

All I could notice was:

• simple brake test
  • lights/indicators
  • measuring exhaust (two parameters)
  • noise test
  • taking picture from behind and uploading to a computer SW.

"Bangkok"/"internet" (?) were the keywords. Maybe countercheck against some central database. Not sure.

A day later I could pick up the tax/insurance sticker and updated blue book.

So I did not even see the inspection certificate that is printed for the DLT.

I do not dispute the argument about road worthiness of vehicles in Thailand :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

I sincerely aplogise for not really watcing what the guy was doing. He was checking the VIN plate under the bonnet, and there is a number behind the right rear wheel with another number embossed.

Thanks to all for information.

So did I not have to change plates if living in another province?

And Kawasaki, there really are a lot of un-roadworthy vehicles on the roads in LOS.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I doubt that this was a motor vehicle test.

I did not witness a "MOT" for a car so far but just for a motorcycle at one of the private workshops.

All I could notice was:

• simple brake test
  • lights/indicators
  • measuring exhaust (two parameters)
  • noise test
  • taking picture from behind and uploading to a computer SW.

"Bangkok"/"internet" (?) were the keywords. Not sure.

A day later I could pick up the tax/insurance sticker and updated blue book.

So I did not even see the inspection certificate that is printed for the DLT.

As l said OP's car probably wasn't 7 years old, otherwise they would told him to go and get it inspected and come back to the DLT office check.

The car inspection is as far as l know the same as motorbikes & scoots and we got the TorRorOr certificate there and then, they did not bother much.

Our first 7 year car test I had the car serviced and all polished up,  took for inspection and there was 2 quite older cars in front, a guy just drove our car to one side and a picture was taken, took tape impression of chassis number reversed it around and parked, he went in the office with book, came out and say pay at the window.

My Versys they did less, he wouldn't touch it, he ask me to turn it around so he could take a picture,  took a tape impression of chassis number, took book in office l went to window, paid and was given cert.  

So l guess l've just added to another lot of un-roadworthy vehicles on the roads in LOS.  :shock1: :biggrin: