How loyal are you to Thailand ?

autanic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my kids are half thai so that means something in regards to loyalty. want them to go to high school back in nz however so that will be me out of thailand for at least 8 years. will be hard to leave after living here so long. may have to leave earlier if things get bad with the economy or during the next lot of elections. i have sold both my houses and am in good shape to leave at fairly short notice which i think is important. would be a shame to loose my business after building it up over the last 10 years.

My loyalty is to my family but having been in Thailand since the  60s- I feel a certain kinship with the Thai people. I have been through several coups; the economic collapse of 96-97 and both foreigners and Thais survived. I have seen little actual violence as a result of an economic collapse. Thai people are resilient- they often go back to their rural villages when times are tough and pool their money. Sometimes, the temple offers refuge. It is much easier to  handle 'hard times' in Thailand for Thai people. It is much more difficult for foreigners as most do not either have the same support networks or know how to find them.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

my kids are half thai so that means something in regards to loyalty. want them to go to high school back in nz however so that will be me out of thailand for at least 8 years. will be hard to leave after living here so long. may have to leave earlier if things get bad with the economy or during the next lot of elections. i have sold both my houses and am in good shape to leave at fairly short notice which i think is important. would be a shame to loose my business after building it up over the last 10 years.

A good thing that you have a "positive" reason to leave.

Who can say what dream they will have next week when they lie down to sleep?

Who can say what "dream" they will have in 5 years time?

Edited by Enoon

16 minutes ago, Enoon said:

A good thing that you have a "positive" reason to leave.

Who can say what dream they will have next week when they lie down to sleep?

Who can say what "dream" they will have in 5 years time?

being flexible is the key. better than loyalty. i was getting very entrenched in thailand before it hit me that i may have to/want to leave at short notice.

7 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Its all about the inexpensive cost of living.

if there was another place, cleaner than Thailand, with

cleaner ocean water and the same cost of living and

warm weather I would leave tomorrow.

Easy peasy. You can move to Bridlington, North Yorkshire, the cost of living would be cheaper plus the ocean waters are much much cleaner. Would sur like me to book his ticket?

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Easy peasy. You can move to Bridlington, North Yorkshire, the cost of living would be cheaper plus the ocean waters are much much cleaner. Would sur like me to book his ticket?

I believe you missed the warm weather aspect...I,wouldn't live

in Birdington or North Yorkshire for FREE

On 9/26/2016 at 6:57 PM, bwpage3 said:

Loyal to Thailand is very vague.

Due you mean how loyal are you to remaining (live) in Thailand?

Loyality  ,  is   cost related , depends on how low  your living standards fall , ref gbp .

Expect 40 bht ,   before  Merry Christmas , then  thai lady  goodbye sure . 555

Edited by elliss

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

being flexible is the key. better than loyalty. i was getting very entrenched in thailand before it hit me that i may have to/want to leave at short notice.

would that be ,

Madam  May , imposing financial and medical restrictions on   brits ?

who have deserted blighty .

I am loyal to my many Thai friends who have been loyal to me and my family over the past 35 years. Not that everyone is perfect here and I do have some in-laws who I do not speak to.  But most Thais have been great friends over the decades and of course both wife and kids have Thai citizenship.  But my loyalty to my friends may force me to turn on the Thai polity as it descends into a bizarre military cult-like state a la North Korea and I, and many others, are close to starting a boycott Thai tourism campaign akin to the Boycott Burma campaign begun in the 1990s.

• 9 months later...

Pretty loyal, I have a Thai wife, kids on the way, properties, vehicles, can speak Thai (level 6) and write (level 5).

Considering that the Western world lost its culture and is about to become one huge islamic republic, we see Thailand as a safe haven to retire and be in a place that beleives in family values - and that suits me just well.

On 9/27/2016 at 3:22 PM, little mary sunshine said:

I believe you missed the warm weather aspect...I,wouldn't live

in Birdington or North Yorkshire for FREE

yorkshire  folk 

I love Thailand, I consider myself very loyal to it, and it's probably where I'll live out the last years of my life.  I am not, however, loyal to the fascist military regime ruling it or the "yellow shirted" elite who look down on and mistreat the poor majority.

Surely, in the context of Thailand, most are loyal to the nation/people and not the state/government. 

Although the state does pay me and give me free health care so I should be loyal to a degree. If I get permanent residence in the next few years then maybe I will be much more loyal. 

I like Thailand and Thai people. Actually I feel more free here than back in the USA. Loyalty? Never really thought about that before. In the three years I've lived here I've never really Had a problem with Thai people Outside of girlfriend problems but that's pretty universal to most places I guess. Here it just has Thai spicing on it. The only real problems I've had have been with other farangs.  So I minimize my contact and interaction with them now.

I find Thai People very easy going and easy to get along with.  I could pick up and leave anytime I want but for now Thailand is still the best for me.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:42 AM, yellowboat said:

No, it is a grossly unfair, broken society with haves and have nots.

But consider this. I know this topic is about Thailand but as a means of comparison take a look at the situation in the USA my former home. What's it like in your country? http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

Americans are living right on the edge — at least when it comes to financial planning.

Approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts and 21% don’t even have a savings account, according to a new survey of more than 5,000 adults conducted this month by Google Consumer Survey for personal finance website GOBankingRates.com. “It’s worrisome that such a large percentage of Americans have so little set aside in a savings account,” says Cameron Huddleston, a personal finance analyst for the site. “They likely don’t have cash reserves to cover an emergency and will have to rely on credit, friends and family, or even their retirement accounts to cover unexpected expenses.”

Edited by joeyg

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

But consider this. I know this topic is about Thailand but as a means of comparison take a look at the situation in the USA my former home. What's it like in your country? http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

Americans are living right on the edge — at least when it comes to financial planning.

Approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts and 21% don’t even have a savings account, according to a new survey of more than 5,000 adults conducted this month by Google Consumer Survey for personal finance website GOBankingRates.com. “It’s worrisome that such a large percentage of Americans have so little set aside in a savings account,” says Cameron Huddleston, a personal finance analyst for the site. “They likely don’t have cash reserves to cover an emergency and will have to rely on credit, friends and family, or even their retirement accounts to cover unexpected expenses.”

Though my little gold digger does put some pressure on my finances, my reserves are always well above US$1000.  Touch wood.  Work in Asia.  Eat like Asian.  Save like an Asian.  Hope to get rich one day or work until the day I die.  One way or the other is fine with me.