Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form

webfact

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forms will gather dust or end up in the waste paper basket, if it was so important why don't they bring a laptop and fill out the forms online? This is, 'keep the boys busy'. Treat it with humour, a 3rd world country with the wrong idea about efficiency.

On 9/28/2016 at 11:41 AM, jcisco said:

Rather interesting the level of resources they are putting into policing issues that aren't well their policing issue.  Are they being pressured to do this or is it their way of scoring points with foreign governments to try get some action on the people they are looking to get back.

Vexing indeed.

Nice example of looking for every negative possible. 

On 9/28/2016 at 11:53 AM, waldroj said:

In a recent development, the junta has ordered that all foreigners are to be rounded up, and the letter "F" placed on their foreheads to facilitate easy identification by authorities. 

download.jpg

It's a curse to be WHITE- the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race"

surprised they don't have 2 sets; one for hubby and the other for wifey to fill out;

done independently, in separate rooms... so they cannot look over each other;s shoulders

that'll kill off a couple of birds with the same stone;

as in they'd always be suspicious a farang and his thai wife are not really together; 

don't know anything personal about each other

- especially the other's real and full name... including the village name given to one by grandma

apart from the numerical answers... if they want it for clamping down on recalcitrant criminal foreigners:

-  each Data Field can be filled out with either 'Not Russia" or 'Not Russian'

Nyet Nyet Nyet 

Last time I went for a visa extension in Phuket I took in a filled in personal info form along with all the other required documents.  The officer took a look and handed it back.  "Don't need."  I only filled in the name and address portion anyway.  Maybe it is because I have a haircut, a shower, a clean collared shirt and real shoes?

7 minutes ago, williet98248 said:

Last time I went for a visa extension in Phuket I took in a filled in personal info form along with all the other required documents.  The officer took a look and handed it back.  "Don't need."  I only filled in the name and address portion anyway.  Maybe it is because I have a haircut, a shower, a clean collared shirt and real shoes?

No, those forms were a short lived idea .

On 10/13/2018 at 1:45 AM, williet98248 said:

You are most likely correct I do wonder what some people think when they dress to go to immigration, better to fit in with their comfort profile of good foreigner, it's just less hassle. I have a multi entry retirement visa and never had a problem at Chaingmai. However, I have also never been asked for a bribe either by immigration or the Police which some claim to be a daily occurance.

This visit by the police has been happening  for years in Buriram Province. It started a good few years back when a Brit woman was found dead, without no ID at that time. It was then decided that the police had to have, on record. the names and addresses and a photocopy of the passport of every long term staying farang in their area. Must have been doing it at least 10 years now. The form is new. 

I think this story was behind the reason why the police need to ID all farang staying in their Amphur.  https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/remember-katherine-who-was-not-2283043

16 hours ago, Rally123 said:

This visit by the police has been happening  for years in Buriram Province. It started a good few years back when a Brit woman was found dead, without no ID at that time. It was then decided that the police had to have, on record. the names and addresses and a photocopy of the passport of every long term staying farang in their area. Must have been doing it at least 10 years now. The form is new. 

I think this story was behind the reason why the police need to ID all farang staying in their Amphur.  https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/remember-katherine-who-was-not-2283043

Came to me 3 years ago, the full monty, laptop and all, since then nothing.

On 10/14/2018 at 11:52 PM, Patriot1066 said:

You are most likely correct I do wonder what some people think when they dress to go to immigration, better to fit in with their comfort profile of good foreigner, it's just less hassle.

That is a myth. They do whatever they do whenever they want. I have walked into an immigration office and been denied an extension for no reason whatsoever. and following the letter of the law. I only visited in a suit and tie and would smile and be polite, still denied for no reason. Yet I look at the hippy couple in their tshirt and shorts chatting away happily with the other officer no problems. It doesn't matter, they do whatever they want, whenever they want. 

2 minutes ago, uffe123 said:

welcome to Hitler land. This is nothing wait for things to come, but just keep smiling in  the land of smiles

I'm sorry but that is a huge exaggeration by which you belittle the true terror that undesirables went through during the nazi period (should be a warning to all nationalists everywhere). Every country wants to keep a check on the foreigners living within their boarders, in the West with their sophisticated and efficient bureaucracy this can be done silently, numbers on a computer screen, insurance, bank accounts,tax payments, ID cards etc. Thailand has the bureaucracy without the efficiency and no consistent policy, a stop and start civil service (look at all the would be hubs). They resort to the use of human material (police) and paper records which are stashed away never to be found again, there is nothing sinister about this, to be cruel and oppressive you first have to be efficient. During the British Raj, the UK ruled,oppressed, and exploited India with little more than a 1,000 British civil servants, the main office of the Gestapo under the nazis had less than 2,000 administrators for the Reich, the Roman empire used very few Romans to administer their huge empire, the method was so finely tuned that the conquered lands administered themselves. Thailand can't even control their own road users. Whatever, I don't even think we are undesirables.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:49 AM, Renzo said:

Just waiting to be advised where I need to report to collect my yellow star and to have my allocated number tattooed onto my inner arm. Land of Smiles? Really? 

Not quite as bad as you make it out. You might want to look around next time you are our and about because you are definitely not in Kansas anymore (Wizard of Oz reference).

If the laws of your home country are better then perhaps you should consider a move back there. Thailand is not the USA or Europe, some things I like and some things I do not like as much.

As I have said many times in the past any comparison of Thai laws, Thai leaders. or Trump, or any current world leader, to Hitler and Nazi Germany shows an ignorance of what happened there and how evil the Nazi regime was. It also shows disrespect for the memory of six million (or more) people that died in camps designed to systematically kill as many people as quickly as possible.

Having to verify where you live is a condition of staying here legally long term, it is no way comparable to what occurred under the Nazi's.  if you don't like it there are many other countries that could be better options or move back home if the conditions of staying here become too terrible.

On 9/28/2016 at 5:54 AM, Chicog said:

Being visited to disclose their skin colour?

Does that mean they have to take their Burkhas off?

I didn't take mine off, my wife said best leave it in but they respected my religios need to cover my bits (all my bits)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 6:56 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

Excellent Idea. Nice to know they dont tolerate illegals as the West do. Many of us are her because of immigrant males roaming free.

Realy ? I must have missed something. During my working period at BMW I had cause to visit the main design office, full of CAD-CAM machines and flashing lights, it was also full of Indians, Pakistanis, British, Turkish, German, French and Asian engineers all working peacefully together. You ought to dump some of your concepts, if you want to see rogue males just go to any big UK city and stand outside a pub at closing time on a Friday night.

Archived