Beat The Nationwide Daily Atm Limit

Several readers have written that the Nationwide cards are no good for withdrawing larger amounts as there is a daily ATM limit of Baht 20,000 in Thailand. Solution :

Tip 1. Go to a major Thai bank exchange counter and get them to do the transaction manually by swiping the card. Nationwide have informed me that they have no limit on such a withdrawal BUT THE THAI BANK MIGHT, the limit being up to the bank where the withdrawal takes place. Note also that the exchange rate on bank withdrawals may not be as favourable as the ATM rate.

Tip 2 You can apply for multiple Flex accounts accounts. If you had five for example you could withdraw/change Baht 100.000 a day..with no costs, loadings or commissions.

Several readers have written that the Nationwide cards are no good for withdrawing larger amounts as there is a daily ATM limit of Baht 20,000 in Thailand. Solution :

Tip 1. Go to a major Thai bank exchange counter and get them to do the transaction manually by swiping the card. Nationwide have informed me that they have no limit on such a withdrawal BUT THE THAI BANK MIGHT, the limit being up to the bank where the withdrawal takes place. Note also that the exchange rate on bank withdrawals may not be as favourable as the ATM rate.

Tip 2 You can apply for multiple Flex accounts accounts. If you had five for example you could withdraw/change Baht 100.000 a day..with no costs, loadings or commissions.

I know a few people who have opted for manual transactions by swiping their card in a Thai exchange booth and had their card 'skimmed' and bank account emptied within 72 hours.

That would break your heart 'topfield'!

Seriously, I am considering having a whip-round from TV members and donating all the unwanted satang coins to you.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Do you ever tip anyone, or did you ever tip anyone, ever?

I know a few people who have opted for manual transactions by swiping their card in a Thai exchange booth and had their card 'skimmed' and bank account emptied within 72 hours.

That would break your heart 'topfield'!

Seriously, I am considering having a whip-round from TV members and donating all the unwanted satang coins to you.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Do you ever tip anyone, or did you ever tip anyone, ever?

I am pleased you took the trouble to read my posting. It is a cmpliment. By the way did you know that Nationwide will refund money where fraud has been used to access ones account ? So do no worry .

Whilst sympathising with the general consensus that Topfield is overly occupied, perhaps obsessive, possibly even a salesman for Nationwide, when it comes to money exchange, I would observe that he is doing no harm by posting his observations and I, for one, am always interested in other peoples experiences in Thailand, as this is the only way of learning.

I thought that Thai Visa was a medium for such exchange of information and find it a pity that some people cannot find more to do with their time other than flame people providing information...

Edited by bkkandrew

I don't know if it helps to add to Topfield's suggestions by mentioning that Kasikorn bank allows customers to change daily limits on ATM cards. I have recently contacted the call center and was able to change the daily withdrawal limit on my ATM card to 100K. You can also do so for Visa Electron Debit cards.

I don't know if it helps to add to Topfield's suggestions by mentioning that Kasikorn bank allows customers to change daily limits on ATM cards. I have recently contacted the call center and was able to change the daily withdrawal limit on my ATM card to 100K. You can also do so for Visa Electron Debit cards.

The SCB bank will also allow you to up your daily withdrawal limit... just pay a visit to your issuing branch and sign a form.

I thought that Thai Visa was a medium for such exchange of information and find it a pity that some people cannot find more to do with their time other than flame people providing information...

Nobody's flaming him. We're taking the piss.

There's a difference. :o

Oh, really? I'm so confused by some of these Britishisms. Do you piss on the flames? Or when pissed, do you fall into the flames?

And I'm glad that the original post led me to know that Kasinkorn will increase my limit on my daily withdrawals (or is that a withdrawl with a drawl? I'm from Texas :D ). The trouble with Kasinkorn's ATM's of course, is that the machine only dispenses a maximum of 20 banknotes, and Thailand still doesn't have a 5,000 baht banknote.

what?! You may be joking around there Mr Bendix, but I am not.

No sir, I really do have some money to invest. My mum always told to save for a rainy day. She used to say, make your money work for you.

So far, I have appointed 3 20 baht notes to the jobs of COO, VP HR and VPM of my multinational conglomorate, which you may know of - Amalgamated Amalgamations Limited, and none of the lazy notes have even submitted 90 DOs (90 day objectives) or an AOP (annual operating plan) or even a a budget for their SABUs (stand alone business units) using ABC (activity based costing).

I suspect the Thai notes are poorly educated, incapable of accepting criticism, have no intiative and are simply lazy. That's why I am going to hire foreign money to do my work. And if I can get better rates, then that puts me in the KS (king seat). I may hire an additional 4th note to meet work permit requirements, and they can be the VPL (visible panty line).

I may consider hiring coins, but a lot of people say that coins only like farang. And coins like all that upcountry ethnic food.

I am a little confused as to why anyone would need to take 100,000 baht a day unless it would be to pay your hospital bill as I did this year. That was 286,000 baht a double angioplasty on my heart.. for heart.

100,000 baht a day is 36,500,000 baht a year. US$1,000,000 roughly.

Who would need that much?

I am a little confused as to why anyone would need to take 100,000 baht a day unless it would be to pay your hospital bill as I did this year. That was 286,000 baht a double angioplasty on my heart.. for heart.

I would, if I was settling a bill from one of the factories I use for export... :o

Hi Topfield

Do you know what is the best way to get more flex accounts with Nationwide ? I have 5 all ready and they're not giving me anymore. Is there any thing you can recommend ?

Cheers

I have Bangkok Bank account and have a limit of 150.000 Bath daily.

So what is the problem?

O yes I have to put my card in the ATM 6 times, that is true.

The problem ( I would suggest) is that even if you have a bath 150000 times in your hat and coat - as per your avatar - you will still not achieve thai-style cleanliness.. :D

I also question why you need to use the bath facilities at Bangkok Bank, most people usually use their own facilities. I suppose you have the advantage of multi-tasking, bathe and conduct your banking business simultaneously. :D

I guess your ATM card must be dirty too, with 6 separate dips, but what you use this for is your own business... :o

My advice, IMHO, would be:

Lose the trenchcoat and trilby during abolutions; :D

Purchase a suitable utensil for scrubbing pans; :D

When visiting another country, obtain and understand the appropriate currency! :D:D:D

I would, if I was settling a bill from one of the factories I use for export... :o

OK I can accept that you would need a large sum of money but it would be simpler and cheaper to use a TT and you can then go into the bank and withdraw a larger amount at one time and save on all the ATM charges every day day and you get a better rate as well.

Again if you were settling a bill that large from a factory that you use you probably have a Thai bank account in which case what I said before would apply. :D

OK I can accept that you would need a large sum of money but it would be simpler and cheaper to use a TT and you can then go into the bank and withdraw a larger amount at one time and save on all the ATM charges every day day and you get a better rate as well.

Again if you were settling a bill that large from a factory that you use you probably have a Thai bank account in which case what I said before would apply. :D

What are you talking about?? :D

I have Thai accounts. Kasikorn and Ayudhya ATM withdrawels are free. TT costs GBP30, takes 3-4 days from the UK and you lose on the rate compared with cash exchange at Pratunam..

You still need to settle the bill!!!!!

So I walk to ATM, withdraw and hand the money over after inspecting the goods. Difficult eh? But still need to be aware of maximum daily limits for withdrawel.

I have Bangkok Bank account and have a limit of 150.000 Bath daily.

So what is the problem?

O yes I have to put my card in the ATM 6 times, that is true.

The problem ( I would suggest) is that even if you have a bath 150000 times in your hat and coat - as per your avatar - you will still not achieve thai-style cleanliness..

Please explain whot that means

I also question why you need to use the bath facilities at Bangkok Bank, most people usually use their own facilities. (You suggest they have own bank?

I suppose you have the advantage of multi-tasking, bathe and conduct your banking business simultaneously. :DThank you

I guess your ATM card must be dirty too, with 6 separate dips, but what you use this for is your own business...

Whot I do is I go to ATM and swipe 6 times 25 1000 Bath notes (that is the limit each time 25 notes).

Then I go inside bank deposit that again and after that I go ATM and do same again. Then I have 12 reciepts and those I can use either to wipe my a55 or use as wallpaper :D

My advice, IMHO, would be:

Lose the trenchcoat and trilby during abolutions; :oWhat it means abolutions, you know me not from Engrish country so please not use so difficult words :D

Purchase a suitable utensil for scrubbing pans; :D(I use my cat for that)

When visiting another country, obtain and understand the appropriate currency!

I know there is US Bath, UK Bath, China Bath and so on.....

Have a nice evening :D

Edited by AlexLah