Thai women feel exploited by Norwegian employer

webfact

Thai women feel exploited by Norwegian employer

by Maria Jønsson

tw.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two Thai women, Maneesita Jaidee and Wilaiwan Donkeawprai, claim that they have been working ten hours a day and have not been paid since they arrived at the world’s most northern Thai restaurant, Taste of Thai, in Longyearbyen in Norway.

Taste of Thai is a restaurant that had its beginning in Lompensenteret in 2012 and is the world’s most northern Thai restaurant. Maneesita Jaidee found the job on a Facebook page for Thai chefs who are seeking jobs around the world.

“One day they posted that they were in need of a Thai chef in Norway. The salary was 10,000 NOK a month. For us Thai people, that is a lot of money, so I applied for the job and got it,” says Maneesita Jaidee to the Norwegian newspaper Svalbardposten.

Full story: http://scandasia.com/thai-women-feel-exploited-by-norwegian-employee/

-- ScandAsia 2016-09-28

16 minutes ago, Gainsbourg said:

10 hours a day in a restaurant is the norm for a chef in the west. The 2 chefs i have known even did at least 12-13H a day. From noon to midnight basically when the restaurant opens at 6pm. 

My guess is those actual "norms" get paid, I do not see this as a complaint against the hours worked but against the hours pay they both haven't been paid / owed??

Edited by kaiyaibob
addition

13 minutes ago, Gainsbourg said:

10 hours a day in a restaurant is the norm for a chef in the west. The 2 chefs i have known even did at least 12-13H a day. From noon to midnight basically when the restaurant opens at 6pm. 

Yeah, but I assume they got paid! Read the article fully before commenting. 

They have every right to complain and I would too if I wasn't getting paid even for 1 hour.

7 minutes ago, Phom said:

They have every right to complain and I would too if I wasn't getting paid even for 1 hour.

The article i read actually mentions they will be paid... but not enough. Me thinks they expected just to work 8H a day... probably never read or understood the contract. Som nam na perhaps... 

Edited by Gainsbourg

30 minutes ago, halloween said:

Best of luck collecting your pay from Thailand. "Delays with govt paperwork" is no reason why the readdies aren't being handed over - sounds like a scam to me.

A twist - just wondering whether they gots the jobs through the fb of a Bkk based job agency.

1200-1300 USD isn't a great wage to cover living in Norway.  Even harder to live when its not paid.

Aside from that the 10 hour/day for hospitality isn't uncommon.  Admittedly I only did weekends plus my days off but the wages got me through uni.  Hard work it was but in many ways some of the most *enjoyable* work that I've done.  Perhaps just because it was so physical and kept me busy as opposed to when I went into pencil pushing corporate.  

2 hours ago, Gainsbourg said:

The article i read actually mentions they will be paid... but not enough. Me thinks they expected just to work 8H a day... probably never read or understood the contract. Som nam na perhaps... 

According to him, they will be paid eventually, but that they have not been due to some unfinished paperwork with the Norwegian government. ...

Well I dunno about Norway but the pay should come at least at the end of each month..they do not seem to say for how long they have been there....

3 hours ago, Phom said:

I did read the full article and it say they have NOT been paid and that "they will be paid eventually"  but more gov't paperwork has to be filled out...

I am sure that working 10 hours 6 days a week would be really appreciated by all the workers from neighboring countries who work on fishing boats, peeling shrimps, work in construction etc.

Looks like the Thais don't like to be treated like them.

Edited by hanuman2543

I understood they were sent home (back to Thailand) as they were not experienced chefs as the advertisment called for and they had applied for, saying they were. Norway and its people are normally up front and are not out to screw the help. They do expect the help to do as they are told and know how to do the job.  The paper work still to do may be payment of tax for pay to be recieved as tax payment can be handled differently in Norway than other countries.

49 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

I did read the full article and it say they have NOT been paid and that "they will be paid eventually"  but more gov't paperwork has to be filled out...

That's assuming the owners side of the story is correct, nothing to say he/her is not embellishing a little, this article may not be reporting the entire story either. Takes to two to tango is all. The owner failed himself in due diligence and who knows could have been a turd to work for.

My original issue was also directed to Gainsbourg citing the hours as the only issue by lookibg at his comment, without taking note the other factors.

I will also note the story does does not mention "HOW" long they have been employed and not paid for. Regardless of some Norwegian tax issue, which could be the owners fault with submission.  I would be upset if I wasn't paid for a month or more depending on how long they have worked there.

Edited by Phom
Extra information

One suspects there is probably a whole world of this tale not told, namely the 'agents' and 'middlemen' all taking their 'cut', I'd say they'd be lucky to see a few baht but at least they've seen a bit of the world and had an experience which hopefully they learn from. Compared to some of the horror stories we hear about the unfortunate getting lured to 'work' overseas, I'd say these two have got off lightly if they are home and safe, if a little broke...

25 minutes ago, Phom said:

That's assuming the owners side of the story is correct, nothing to say he/her is not embellishing a little, this article may not be reporting the entire story either. Takes to two to tango is all. The owner failed himself in due diligence and who knows could have been a turd to work for.

My original issue was also directed to Gainsbourg citing the hours as the only issue by lookibg at his comment, without taking note the other factors.

I will also note the story does does not mention "HOW" long they have been employed and not paid for. Regardless of some Norwegian tax issue, which could be the owners fault with submission.  I would be upset if I wasn't paid for a month or more depending on how long they have worked there.

Not taking the p*ss mate but,      Quote,   "Yeah but I assume they got paid! Read the article fully before commenting."

They have not been paid,  and the owner has admitted as much...

10 hour day's are far from uncommon for kitchen staff/ chef, closer to 12/14 hours' including shopping for produce if the owner trusts the chef and customer numbers of the day...

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

That place is literally the end of the earth: 24 hour sun and dark. I cannot imagine a Thai person liking it other than as a tourist, no matter what the salary.

Thai people represent the 3rd largest group of people at THAT PLACE as you call it,

the largest group, Norwegians, the 2nd largest Russians.

Why?

Visa/Work permit not required.

(and the place is not Norway, but Norwegian legislation goes at that place)

A scenario: they present themselves as chef as per their contract. They turn out not to be chefs (trust us we're thai classic). Owner doesn't pay as contract is not respected and is finding out how he can pay them the least and get rid of them. Stupid farang not always stupid when playing home match...

First of all, seems like the owner is thai:
http://www.proff.no/selskap/taste-of-thai-as/longyearbyen/restauranter/Z0ILJ3PH/

A thai was fooled by two workers who wasnt the chefs they said they were, probably got upset and wants her money back from the travel, the cut to probable agents?

If the employer isnt sure about the tax issue, it is normal to hold back 50% of the sallary to be sure to have enough to pay the tax. 

So, if this is the case. The owner feel screwed and wants her money bak from the non-chefs travel, paid apartment?, and also wants to be sure about enough tax money then there are probably little money left for the duo?

10 hours ago, aussieinthailand said:

Not taking the p*ss mate but,      Quote,   "Yeah but I assume they got paid! Read the article fully before commenting."

They have not been paid,  and the owner has admitted as much...

10 hour day's are far from uncommon for kitchen staff/ chef, closer to 12/14 hours' including shopping for produce if the owner trusts the chef and customer numbers of the day...

Get where your coming from, but once again originally he was only citing the hours in commenting on their issue, when it was not being paid as well, along with claims the working conditions were not fully explained. I was mentioning this fact as another poster after me had as well!! As it appears he is not taking it into account when FIRST posting. Anyway all here say we not there to know the true facts.

9 hours ago, Gainsbourg said:

A scenario: they present themselves as chef as per their contract. They turn out not to be chefs (trust us we're thai classic). Owner doesn't pay as contract is not respected and is finding out how he can pay them the least and get rid of them. Stupid farang not always stupid when playing home match...

9 hours ago, Gainsbourg said:

A scenario:  an agent advertises for Thai cooks and present's the lady's as chef's then takes nice cut for themselves and bugga the workers...

Attending culinary school makes you a chef not,   many so-called chef's out there can't even fry an egg properly, as many home cook's can go close to earning a Michelin star.

What the Thai lady calls "exploitation" is what an average westerner calls "work".  

"I did not know that we had to work ten hours a day, six days in a row, without breaks"... If she did not know that, she isn't a chef.

I used to be a chef myself and despite my great passion I eventually had to change job because of family issues. I've never worked less than 10 hours even in low season, in high season 12 -13 and occasionally even 15 hours of work are what a chef should expect to work (often with no day off). All the days that are marked in red on the calendar are the hardest working days.

The salary was indeed great but you don't get payed for nothing. You must have an immense passion, motivation, self discipline and possibly no family bonds if you want to be a professional chef. Otherwise stay away...