Niger men caught at Suvarnabhumi with 568 credit cards tell cops: We're just shopping for our relatives!

webfact

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Too many criminals coming from Nigeria to Thailand....I assume they have to apply for a visa and go through Immigration.  It's time to be more vigilant.

Who mentioned Nigeria?  These guys were from Niger.  However your comments still apply, even more-so from Niger than even Nigeria.  Maybe the first "tourists" ever (or at least this year from impoverished Niger and coming via China probably rang all the correct bells.

Below from Wikipedia:

Niger (Listeni/ˈnər/ or /nˈʒɛər/;[8][9] French: [niʒɛʁ]), officially the Republic of Niger, is a landlocked country in Western Africa, named after the Niger River. Niger is bordered by Libya to the northeast, Chad to the east, Nigeria and Benin to the south, Burkina Faso and Mali to the west, and Algeria to the northwest. Niger covers a land area of almost 1,270,000 km2, making it the largest country in West Africa, with over 80 percent of its land area covered by the Sahara Desert. The country's predominantly Islamic population of 17,138,707[10] is mostly clustered in the far south and west of the country. The capital city is Niamey, located in the far-southwest corner of Niger.

Niger is a developing country, and is consistently one of the lowest-ranked in the United Nations' Human Development Index (HDI); it was ranked last at 188th for 2014.[6] Much of the non-desert portions of the country are threatened by periodic drought anddesertification. The economy is concentrated around subsistence and some export agriculture clustered in the more fertile south, and the export of raw materials, especially uranium ore. Niger faces serious challenges to development due to its landlocked position, desert terrain, high fertility rates and resulting overpopulation without birth control,[11] poor education and poverty of its people, lack of infrastructure, poor health care, and environmental degradation.

Correction FYI, the ATM CARDS aren't fake rather they have different names, This is what happens when African Governments impose strict Dollar Exchange rate withdrawal limits abroad. The Cards just has to be returned to the Banks and the individual deported that's all.

12 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Too many criminals coming from Nigeria to Thailand....I assume they have to apply for a visa and go through Immigration.  It's time to be more vigilant.

Hate to be the one to correct you, they are from Niger, not Nigeria, I also thought it was Nigeria for short, but Niger is apparently a country as well. 

3 hours ago, Docno said:

My question is: given that people from Nigeria have already taken the word "Nigerian" to refer to themselves, what do you call someone from Niger (in English)?

The accepted word is “Nigerien”—as opposed to “Nigerian,” for someone from Nigeria. It's quite confusing, though in speech you would say the former like it was French (something like nee-ZHER-iã) to distinguish them.

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

The accepted word is “Nigerien”—as opposed to “Nigerian,” for someone from Nigeria. It's quite confusing, though in speech you would say the former like it was French (something like nee-ZHER-iã) to distinguish them.

Lean something every day -- thanks.

Did the Thai immigration guys consider the consequences of arresting these 3 guys with 568 credit cards, that's a lot of shopping money that could have been injected into the Thai economy for their relatives. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Did the Thai immigration guys consider the consequences of arresting these 3 guys with 568 credit cards, that's a lot of shopping money that could have been injected into the Thai economy for their relatives. 

Did the Niger have a shopping list to accompany all these cards? 

It would be nearly impossible to remember all those details? 

A shopping list might support his claim...at the moment I am having trouble believing this was all innocent.

13 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

A shopping list might support his claim...at the moment I am having trouble believing this was all innocent.

I would have assumed that they would have all wanted the same thing, Like the latest Rolex watch...lol

Pretty easy to remember.

18 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

By 'shopping' I guess they were referring to ATM withdrawals not physically buying goods.