Hong Kong - suggestions on stuff to do?

RickG16

If the weather is good, take the Peak Tram, go to visit Lantau Island and take the Gong Ping cable car. In the evening go to the harbor on the Tsim She Tsui Side. Visit the Avenue of Stars and then watch the light show. Usually around 8pm.

For markets you could visit the Temple Street and surrounding areas close to Jordan MTR station. 

You could as well visit Stanley Market and Repulse Bay with their Chinese Temples. The Maritime Museum is always nice to visit.

1 minute ago, TobiasML said:

If the weather is good, take the Peak Tram, go to visit Lantau Island and take the Gong Ping cable car. In the evening go to the harbor on the Tsim She Tsui Side. Visit the Avenue of Stars and then watch the light show. Usually around 8pm.

For markets you could visit the Temple Street and surrounding areas close to Jordan MTR station. 

You could as well visit Stanley Market and Repulse Bay with their Chinese Temples. The Maritime Museum is always nice to visit.

A couple of years ago I would have suggested the same itinerary - but now I'd say avoid the Peak Tram unless you want the full 'Chinese Mass Tourism' experience.  Star Ferry trip is still a must though.

Mong Kok street market is also fun at night - good food in that area too.

14 minutes ago, Farangdanny said:

How could you forget Happy valley Races. A very exciting evening, even if you don't have a bet. It's a real eye opener.

Google for info on which evenings there is racing.

Or Sha Tin for ease of access. Train stops at the course.  Awesome. 5 dollars to get in or something crazy. Won 6500HK there last last Nov on their Oaks day. [ Winning became two bespoke suits and six hand crafted shirts] . Best investment ever. 

They are serious about their punting though. 

Edited by optad

If you're going to be there for just a few days, you can buy the Airport Express MTR Tourist Card that allows you a round-trip on the Airport Express train and unlimited travel on the MTR (subway), buses and light rail. Unlike Bangkok, the MTR can take you to most places in Hong Kong and buses can get you just about everywhere else. 

For nightlife I like Soho above Central, and you can take the Mid-level escalators right to Soho. Lan Kwai Fong is worth a look, but caters to mostly a young clientele. Otherwise, when I'm in Hong Kong, I like to eat, eat and eat some more. Stanley on the "other side" of Hong Kong Island is nice for lunch with many restaurants and bars along the promenade at the beach. Decent market there, but is worth the trip to see a very beautiful part of Hong Kong many tourists never see. Have fun. 

You have to go to "The Peak" if the weather is anywhere near clear. The views are amazing. I'd suggest taking a taxi up and then taking the tram back down. It saves you a bunch of time. Don't pay to go up inside the fancy Peak building. Just go in the shopping mall next to it and up the the observation deck. The ferry is great for photos. We did the Avenue of the Stars, visited the museum that's down there too. Then grabbed the ferry across, jumped in a taxi to the peak then took the tram back down and walked down the escalators and checked out some of the business district. 

The night market at Temple St is cool. Lot's of great outdoor seafood restaurants near the market. It's close to Jordan Station. I stayed at the Shamrock, which is 10 feet from the entrance to Jordan Station and not too expensive. Basic rooms but how much time will you spend? The light show is good but we did that separately, returning to the  waterfront later at night. 

I loved Hong Kong. Great city.

I always suggest Sai Kung, a fishing village full of top-rate seafood restaurants along the seafront. After a decent lunch of lobster, crabs, grouper etc, trot on up to the nearby Maclehose Trail for a few klicks of great hiking.  Energetic? Then up you go to Ma On Shan peak, only on foot though.  Lots of paragliders up there on good thermal days. 

Then stop at the many pubs catering to the large expat crowd of Brits, Aussies and Yanks.  Still need a treat: grab the golf ferry to the public golf island, Kau Sai Chau.  The 20 min ferry ride is fun on the rear deck, esp in choppy, stormy weather. Can eat/drink on that island but no real hiking, golf course out-of-bounds for spectators.

Yes, must also advise the weekends or public holidays are very difficult becoz of the crowds, but mostly HK folks, few mainlanders.  And do bring all your credit cards, you will need them.

Years ago I took the ferry to Cheung Chau island. It's not very far.  Interesting arriving at a deep water harbour, walking about 100 m across the island and coming to a sandy beach. No cars that I remember but a nice walk around the island.

As I will be visiting HK myself in a few months,  is Cheung Chau still the quiet Chinese 'fishing' village it was 20 years ago?

Cheers for all the replies. I'm here.. Not slept for 2 days but kooking forward to good night's kip then some exploring tomorrow. Already missing the Thai prices though! 350 Hkd per night at a guesthouse near central was best i could do. If i move further out on the MRT map does it get cheaper?....