Fastest Visa to obtain, Thailand to USA. HELP

I'm trying to determine which Visa takes the least amount of time to process for Thai GF to go to USA.

Facts:  

Thai Female: Age 50, owns home in Bangkok, owns her car, self employed, BS Degree, all family members live in Thailand, single, never married.

USA Male: Age 58, Retired USA Federal Government, has 1 Yr Retiree Visa, MS Degree, arrived in Thailand in July 2018.  Substantial assets in USA.

We want to get married in Thailand or USA, does not matter.  But we need to go to USA ASAP to see my doctor.

Which Visa is the quickest to obtain?  

Which has the highest probability of getting approved?

Is it better to process alone (I processed my 1 Yr Retiree Visa through mail in USA, no problems, but took some time), or use a company in Thailand?

If better to use company, recommendations please (we are currently living in Chiang Mai).  Note: her son is living in her house in Bangkok.

Would appreciate any recommendations ...............  Thanks a Mil .............. cellpr

Here's info on the Tourist Visa side:  https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

This would be the "fastest" to get but it's not 100% guaranteed that she'd get one.  Probably would not hurt to try, tho.

FYI, if she even hints to the interviewing consular officer that she'd planning marriage in the U.S., she'll be rejected as the inference would be that she'd be planning to stay in the U.S. rather than return to Thailand.

As to an Immigrant or Fiancee' visa, since you are not living here in Thailand, you would have to apply in the U.S. and you'd have to plan for perhaps a six month, or more, processing period.

So, looks to me no real fast solution to your situation.

Mac

Mac, really appreciate your response. I'm looking at the process identified in your reference. By any chance, do you know the timeframe to get the visitor's visa? And I was reading that USA is issuing 10 year visitor visas vs the old 1 yr, any information on that?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

57 minutes ago, cellpr said:

Mac, really appreciate your response. I'm looking at the process identified in your reference. By any chance, do you know the timeframe to get the visitor's visa? And I was reading that USA is issuing 10 year visitor visas vs the old 1 yr, any information on that?

Thanks again.

From the time of her interview about 3 days by mail. Since you are not married I don't she her getting a 10 year visa. This is up to the interviewing official. She has to show why she is not staying in the US permanently when she applies for a tourist visa and this is where you will be a plus or minus.

You are setting yourself up for failure if she makes any mention of you at all. She should simply apply as a Thai who wants to go to the USA for tourism. As someone above said, any inclination that she is in a relationship will automatically make them think she is going to stay. 

In order to get the visa, she needs to show overwhelming evidence that she will return. Business records, assets, child, etc are all valid reasons, which when taken together might be enough for the visa. When she goes to the interview, make sure that she has a clear understanding of where she intends to go and what she intends to do there. I am going to hang out with my American BF is not the correct response to that question. 

Good luck to you. I personally would give you a 50/50 chance. I personally was denied for my legally married wife despite overwhelming evidence of my connection to Thailand. Same with many other friends I know personally. I also know some Thai women with no connection to American men in similar situations to your GF that got visa's not problem.

FWIW, I am not married but my gf got a 10 year visa. I think it helped that she is a university graduate with a 15 year nursing career. Neither one of us owns any property or has enormous assets. Her opinion is that the impression you make on the interviewer is very important. She also said that everyone else that was there at the same time got denied.

I am married to a Thai girl here. For both my wife and her stepson, they were both given 10 year visas without any difficulty. My own personal opinion is that she should be completely truthful as to her reasons for going. You should write a letter that she should take with her confirming those intentions as well as stating that you will be responsible for all her expenses while there. She should also bring proof if her assets in Thailand - car registration, home ownership, bank accounts etc. I think if you are completely upfront you should have no difficulty getting a visa. I've done this for several Thai individuals over the last ten years and have never had a problem. My final advice would be to ensure she has travel insurance. Good luck !

I forgot to mention that you need to apply online via the link you will find at the US embassy website. Follow All the instructions - pay the fee, get the correct photo etc. As to how long it will take to get the visa, this is dependent on the earliest available date for the interview(set up online) and you receive the visa via mail about 3 to 4 days after the interview.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How does she know that?

Or maybe she really is different.

If they keep her passport odds on ends she has been accepted as it take about about 3 days to mail back. If they gave her pass port back to her at the interview its a no brainer.

Thanks to all. Information provided has been invaluable. Unfortunately more questions arise, please bare with me.

Regarding the letter. Some advise to give/send a letter. Others indicate for her not to mention me at all. However, since I'm covering all expenses it would seem I have to be mentioned. My thought on this was to give her a letter appreciating all her help while I was in Thailand as well as her hospitality of letting me stay with her and her son (16), and offering reciprocity in USA, including where we could go and family members we could stay with (all east coast) while there. And tie that to the experience my son has as a sponsor and user of the "couch serfing" program he used while backpacking Europe last year. Is this a good strategy?

28 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

If they keep her passport odds on ends she has been accepted as it take about about 3 days to mail back. If they gave her pass port back to her at the interview its a no brainer.

You've obviously attended the mass, open interview room at the US Embassy then where declined applicants have their passports handed back to them in full view of all the other applicants then?

53 minutes ago, cellpr said:

Thanks to all. Information provided has been invaluable. Unfortunately more questions arise, please bare with me.

Regarding the letter. Some advise to give/send a letter. Others indicate for her not to mention me at all. However, since I'm covering all expenses it would seem I have to be mentioned. My thought on this was to give her a letter appreciating all her help while I was in Thailand as well as her hospitality of letting me stay with her and her son (16), and offering reciprocity in USA, including where we could go and family members we could stay with (all east coast) while there. And tie that to the experience my son has as a sponsor and user of the "couch serfing" program he used while backpacking Europe last year. Is this a good strategy?

" user of the "couch serfing" program "

I doubt claiming to be a "serf" would help. If you do write a letter, you might want to ask someone to proofread it first.

serf
sərf/
noun

1. an agricultural laborer bound under the feudal system to work on his lord's estate.
Edited by Suradit69

Suradit69, thank you for your comment, however, I did not say "I" was a user of the couch surfing program, I asked: if it made sense to equate my friend's hospitality with that of people, like my son, who use the "couch surfing program", as justification of my offer of hospitality towards her.

I will certainly get the best English Major professional I can find to proofread my letter. Thanks, my forte is Math, Physics, Engineering. This is a data gathering request. Have a splendid day my friend.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You've obviously attended the mass, open interview room at the US Embassy then where declined applicants have their passports handed back to them in full view of all the other applicants then?

I avoid that embassy like the plaque. We only use the consulate in Chiang Mai.:thumbsup:

16 hours ago, volsfan said:

You are setting yourself up for failure if she makes any mention of you at all. She should simply apply as a Thai who wants to go to the USA for tourism. As someone above said, any inclination that she is in a relationship will automatically make them think she is going to stay. 

In order to get the visa, she needs to show overwhelming evidence that she will return. Business records, assets, child, etc are all valid reasons, which when taken together might be enough for the visa. When she goes to the interview, make sure that she has a clear understanding of where she intends to go and what she intends to do there. I am going to hang out with my American BF is not the correct response to that question. 

Good luck to you. I personally would give you a 50/50 chance. I personally was denied for my legally married wife despite overwhelming evidence of my connection to Thailand. Same with many other friends I know personally. I also know some Thai women with no connection to American men in similar situations to your GF that got visa's not problem.

Not sure why your wife was denied, did they tell you?  Do you work in Thailand?  I have had the opposite results. When my friend first applied for his wife she was denied. About 2 years later they applied again and this time show his work permit. She got the visa for 10 years.  Same with a few other friends.  

The best way to prove she will return is proving you will return to Thailand.  Do you have a rental agreement in your name or own a condo in Thailand? If so I would include this and show your passport copy showing all the time you stay in Thailand. However I would only do this if you have been living in Thailand 3+ years.   I have several friends that are married to a Thai and was rejected a tourist visa but when they applied again showing their husband works in Thailand has work permit etc they got a visa. If you are living in Thailand full time this will help.  I would not say anything about marriage, if asked say maybe in a few years in Thailand. 

17 hours ago, volsfan said:

Agreed.   If she mentions you are going to see a Doctor, then the questions will be, what type of doctor, what type of ailment, will you be needing to be cared for, etc.. All this leads to suspicion she might try to stay to take care of you should medical complications arise, long term home care needed, etc.  However, going the tourist route may be risky because it may be difficult for her not to reveal something.  Where are you visiting?  Minot North Dakota in the middle of winter?  Unusual holiday destination for a Thai!  Why are you visiting there? Do you have any contacts or friends there?  If so how and where did you meet him/her/them.

Get married in Thailand. That takes getting married in the US out of the equation, and all the potential problems that may go along with it while applying for a visa. Apply for a B2 tourist/visitor visa. Be 100% honest from start to finish, this will insure her not getting "tripped up" during the interview, it also makes the interview process less stressful, her knowing she has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to hide or lie about.

I have done three of these. One for the GF and two for her/our children. All successful. All 10 year visas.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Shot

Problem with getting married in Thailand then applying for a U.S. tourist visa is that the interviewing ConOff may well presume that her intent is to apply in the U.S. for an Adjustment of Status to a Permanent Resident Alien.  There's a discussion of this on www.visajourney.com

This is not so much of a problem to overcome if the AmCit husband is resident in Thailand, working, perhaps, or retired on extensions based on Marriage or Retirement.

However, if the husband is resident in the U.S., major difficulties to overcome to establish that the wife will return to Thailand by the end of her permit to stay period.

Mac 

All, fantastic information. Thanks a mil for taking the time to advise me, it is greatly appreciated. Tomorrow I will be visiting a Visa Services Company, recommended by a friend, and will advise on what they recommend.

Please keep sending any recommendation, experience, or lessons learned. Thank You.

• 3 months later...

What started as a question on 9/29/16 ended with a fantastic result. Thanks for the good responses (only one troll). I'm happy to report that my spouse (from Bangkok) and I, are at this moment eating breakfast in Charleston South Carolina USA. Against what everyone thought as poor odds, my wife obtained a 10 Year Visa Multiple Entry and upon arrival obtained a 6 month stay. All Maximum per law. She applied and obtained a B1/B2 Tourist Visa. This was the result of FANTASTIC work by StarVisa Agency in Chiang Mai. These people took care of all details, down to how to dress, pictures for applications, completing application, taking us personally to wherever we had an appointment, running mock interviews, the works. I must remind people that this was a request to USA (very stringent requirements), first time applicant, married for one week, met through internet. But we are a true couple, did not embellish anything, were honest, and things turned out super. The entire process, from marriage to flight in less than 3 months, during the holidays. Not bad. StarVisa Services in Chiang Mai, three doors down from the US Consulate. The place looks like a mess when you walk in, but they definitely know what they are doing. The day we went for interview, there were 5 clients from StarVisa, All got a "Yes". Can't say enough about these people. The price? Amazingly cheap. Good Luck.