Flying to BKK on 04/10/16 with return ticket on 01/04/17

Hi,

i'm a Brit and bought a return ticket from London to BKK Arr. 04/10/16 dept. 01/04/17. I'm flying Gulf Air and was planning on getting a 30 day permission to stay stamp at the airport

What are my chances of running into problems with the airline? 

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

For the length of stay you have planned it would of been better to get a single entry tourist visa before starting your trip.

Perhaps buy a ticket to Vientiane Laos or Penang within 30 days of arrival where you can easily get a single entry tourist visa.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A bit to late now since he is leaving on Tuesday the 4th.

He could get a SETV from London in 2 days. Apply one morning and collect the next. Extending that for 30 days gives him 3 months which is a far better start than appearing at Bangkok with nothing and wanting to stay for 6 months.

He also then wouldn't be denied boarding in London.

Gotta admit, I've never done this as a visa thing, but I often get an airline ticket with a wonky return date, then spend anywhere from $0 to $100 to change the return date, depending on the airline.  Last few times, it's been $50.

I'm wondering what the downside would be to book a 28 day trip, then change the return date once I'm in Thailand?

Of course, that doesn't negate the need to extend the legal stay, but it would negate the need to burn an in-out ticket or do some other finagling to get on the first leg flight.

Edit: with the added benefit of some flexibility if I decide to leave early or stay longer.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, Ronuk said:

He could get a SETV from London in 2 days. Apply one morning and collect the next. Extending that for 30 days gives him 3 months which is a far better start than appearing at Bangkok with nothing and wanting to stay for 6 months.

He also then wouldn't be denied boarding in London.

Depending on where he lives, an honorary consulate would probably do an SETV for him in 20 mins. However, in the rush of last minute preparations for a six month trip, I do not think even that is realistic if he needs to travel to get to the consulate.

In the past I usually had a round trip ticket that had a time span of more than 30 days, the normal amount of time for a visa exemption on arrival.  I was never asked about it.  It is so easy to change an EVA return flight, usually free.  On each trip I was never sure of exactly how long I would stay since about 1/2 the time I stayed an additional 30 days via a border visa run.   I think the important thing was it showed I had a return ticket and therefor the means to leave the country.  The Thais know or should understand that you may not necessarily stay in Thailand the entire time of your ticket itinerary, and you may visit other countries and then return to Thailand to fly out of BKK.  You may have a few weeks in Cambodia planned for example.  You would still be flying in and then later out of BKK. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, russianrobert said:

..i've bought a return ticket BKK-SGN so the problem is now solved. A 'quickie' tourist visa can also be had at the embassy (consulate?) in Birmingham, within half an hour.

Thanks for all the input 

The Thai Consulate in Birmingham is closed ! 

2 hours ago, russianrobert said:

Is it closed permanently?

Based on prior experience, there is a chance a new honorary consul will be found at some point. When that happens, the address would quite likely change. It is anyone's guess how long before (if at all) a new consul is appointed.