UK Cheque

I have just received a cheque from Her Majesties Inland Revenue, God bless em, and am not sure what to do with it.

I have a Bangkok Bank account but have heard they can take ages to clear uk cheques.

My alternative is to send it back to the UK and ask my brother to pay it into my UK account.

Any suggestions most welcome

If you have a UK account why would anyone else have to deposit it?  Can't you do online?  Or at least by mail?  I just cashed a US check today into my US account in about 3 minutes online.

Have not used Bangkok Bank for many years but yes it used to take 3-4 weeks normally for US checks (although they offer electronic clearance for some types now).  

I get the IR cheque each year - my bank will not accept it.  If I remember, I take it with me on my next UK trip, but often it's been too late as they expire after 6 months.  Sending it by courier not viable as it's a refund of interest on a UK account, so the value is less than courier fee.  Tried normal post - never arrived.

Just frame it and hang it on the wall.

15 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

I get the IR cheque each year - my bank will not accept it.  If I remember, I take it with me on my next UK trip, but often it's been too late as they expire after 6 months.  Sending it by courier not viable as it's a refund of interest on a UK account, so the value is less than courier fee.  Tried normal post - never arrived.

I got one this year from the UK IR and the local KBank (and only bank) took it into my account and it was cleared in about 3 weeks or so.

1 hour ago, Sandman77 said:

When I look at the Kasikorn site diffrent cheque are avalible one is called tt draft with a much higher rate and another one is called telex transfer that is even higher then a normal traveler cheque , can someone explain the diffrent types ? In Austria no bank anymore issued a travel cheque

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You are comparing buying and selling rates and also looking at travellers cheques which is not what this conversation is about.

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

I got one this year from the UK IR and the local KBank (and only bank) took it into my account and it was cleared in about 3 weeks or so.

Interesting .... I have two accounts ... one local bank said 'not possible', but another said they could take it - but the charge would be 1000 THB - which was the same as the value of the cheque.  Looks like I'm asking the wrong people and need to try again.  What did K-Bang charge for the cheque?

1 hour ago, Familyonthemove said:

Interesting .... I have two accounts ... one local bank said 'not possible', but another said they could take it - but the charge would be 1000 THB - which was the same as the value of the cheque.  Looks like I'm asking the wrong people and need to try again.  What did K-Bang charge for the cheque?

TBH I can't remember. The closest I can figure looking at my bankbook, the Forex rate of the day and the amount paid in I paid around 1,400 to clear a cheque for £335.67.

20 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

My cheque is worth quite a lot of money so think I will cash it.

Thanks for the input guys. Just noticed it has my Thai address printed on the cheque so guess I will have to pay it in here.

On 9/30/2016 at 5:40 PM, somo said:

My cheque is worth quite a lot of money so think I will cash it.

Thanks for the input guys. Just noticed it has my Thai address printed on the cheque so guess I will have to pay it in here.

All my checks have my Thai address on them but have never had any issue cashing them at my US banks.  Would that really be an issue with UK banking system?  As said for USA now I just sign and put on scanner to cash into my US account via internet.  

On 29/09/2016 at 9:12 PM, Familyonthemove said:

Why not send it by registered mail. It only costs  65 baht extra and 'almost' guaranteed to get there. You get a tracking no. as well (but this may not work in some countries).

On 10/2/2016 at 5:02 PM, lopburi3 said:

All my checks have my Thai address on them but have never had any issue cashing them at my US banks.  Would that really be an issue with UK banking system?  As said for USA now I just sign and put on scanner to cash into my US account via internet.  

I think the uK has a bit of catching up to do in this respect.

Archived