Establishing Proof of Ownership.

Generalchaos

I posted before here about debt, specifically a debt accumulated by a Thai married to a lower being. (Farang)

It seems that if the wife gets into debt it appears that in many circumstances the patsy farang husband (despite not really being welcome here by the government) is conveniently accountable due to marriage for the wife's debt.

Now, it seems to me that damage limitation is probably a good idea, so how would one go about making sure that anything that is not registered (like a blue book on a car or a green book on a bike) is not actually directly tied to the husband?

As for instance, if I had 100,000 Bahts worth of tools, brought in from the UK  - 2nd hand, no receipts....how could I make sure that these were in the eyes of the law, property of my 15 year old Thai son? Can I gift them to him? write him a receipt etc?

Just some way of preventing them being classed as joint assets of a marriage. I mean we all know that everything the foreigner owns becomes 50% acquired by the Thai wife after marriage, yet we are not allowed to own shit!

Very easy solution: get a pre-nup and ensure it is registered at the district office on the day you marry. List everything you own before marriage on this document, as that is one of the main functions of a pre-nup.

When you do this, you have the absolute proof you are looking for. 

13 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Very easy solution: get a pre-nup and ensure it is registered at the district office on the day you marry. List everything you own before marriage on this document, as that is one of the main functions of a pre-nup.

When you do this, you have the absolute proof you are looking for. 

Agree with you! Sadly a pre nup is out of the question as there is now 18 years of marriage without any of that kind of thing behind me. I am just trying to cover my arse for some future developments which are gradually appearing on the future horizon.

Wife was married before...ha ha....to a loser Thai, never took care of anything, left the kid when he was a baby. (still never grown up)

I took on a new life and got married, the original offspring was already "Matured" so as far as I am concerned nothing to do with me. The boy is about 30 so not a kid anymore, as far as I am concerned he can go and F&&K

Not my problem, not my debt. I just want to make sure that the bits and bobs I have over here that are not documented with some official booklet of ownership can be passed to MY biological son and not used to pay off a debt run up by some jerk off.

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't really understand what your problem is,  it seems focus on what £2000 of tools. ??

Yep, you really didn't get it. It is about protecting assets that are not registered like cars and bikes... things you have brought here over the years that you do not want to fall into some sort of marriage clause.

For me it is sentimental things like tools that my dad bought me when I turned 14, socket sets etc. Things I had all my life that I would like to leave to my son (as they last a lifetime or more)

I do not want anyone to be able to claim these as a 50/50 marriage thing. They were hand carried in airplane baggage over 15 years bit by bit!

3 minutes ago, Generalchaos said:

Yep, you really didn't get it. It is about protecting assets that are not registered like cars and bikes... things you have brought here over the years that you do not want to fall into some sort of marriage clause.

For me it is sentimental things like tools that my dad bought me when I turned 14, socket sets etc. Things I had all my life that I would like to leave to my son (as they last a lifetime or more)

I do not want anyone to be able to claim these as a 50/50 marriage thing. They were hand carried in airplane baggage over 15 years bit by bit!

As l said l still don't get it if you want your son to have your tools in a court decision to take assets because of debt that is not a problem if they are not anywhere listed as a asset.

lf your wife has borrowed and got into debt as long as you didn't sign anything to help obtain the loan whatever,,,,  then how can you be held responsible.

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't really understand what your problem is,  it seems focus on what £2000 of tools. ??

Focus on tools; because he loves his tools, maybe sleeps with his tools.

Sorry, maybe he means his own "Tool" ?

But only worth 100,000 baht.

My "Tool" is worth much more; as I use at Nana and Cowboy 2 nights/week.

Or maybe he is a Tool.

Proud Mary, Tooling, Tooling, Tooling on a river .

10 hours ago, Generalchaos said:

I took on a new life and got married, the original offspring was already "Matured" so as far as I am concerned nothing to do with me. The boy is about 30 so not a kid anymore, as far as I am concerned he can go and F&&K

Apologies I missed this.

Sorry about things going bad it's a rotten time and 18 years is a long time.

In the eyes & mind of a Thai mother only she can talk bad about her son, nobody else.
A Will would not necessary protect your tools should something happen to you but on separation they would not be an issue.

Your wife can only get half of what you buy during your marriage. If you owned a condo

before you got married she does not get half of that. The same for the tools. Now if you were

to sell the condo and buy another one while you were married she would get half of that one.

"Thai married to a lower being. (Farang)"

"Wife was married before...ha ha....to a loser Thai" 

"the patsy farang husband (despite not really being welcome here by the government)"

"not used to pay off a debt run up by some jerk" 

it is sentimental things like tools that my dad bought me when I turned 14, socket sets etc. Things I had all my life"

So many negatives farangs are pasty a lower being.

Thai are jerks and loser. 

And you think more about your tools than your wife.

My opinion you may as well leave her now ain't going to last much longer.

If you wasn't such a lower being and a pasty to start with you would be in this situation now.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Apologies I missed this.

Sorry about things going bad it's a rotten time and 18 years is a long time.

In the eyes & mind of a Thai mother only she can talk bad about her son, nobody else.
A Will would not necessary protect your tools should something happen to you but on separation they would not be an issue.

Oh how true!

just exited a steamer of a row with wife of 8 years ( been together almost 20) because her wonderful 32 yr old son ( not mine) decided to use family car that I bought for cash as colatterol against debt on his house. On enquiring deeper it emerges mother registered brand new car in sons name unbeknown to me so there is SFA I can do about it other than kiss THB 1 milo byebye. 

As as to the continuation of the marriage that is in the balance dictated primarily by my sighting my laptop flying across the room.

son is a thieving rat but mum cannot / will not see that, well that is until she faces her next round of electricity, internet etc bills with no idiot farang to pay.

yes I deserve what I get but jeez is there no moral standard here?

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I am someone else who would value old tools given to me by my late father. So you can now set aside your doubt.

Some people have no idea of the sentimental value of personal items. The things I keep have been passed down from more than one generation, not only tools, books, pictures etc. my son is the last in my family and I would like to make sure that he can have them to keep or do what he wants rather than have them sold off to pay off some debt that was accrued by some dog that I have absolutely no connection with.

I place a value on items, especially if they have been around for a long time. I certainly do not want to see things I value being used to pay off a debt for some worthless piece of crap that never worked and only borrowed for most of his wasted life.