Trackable SIM cards for foreigners to be decided on next month

webfact

13 hours ago, Docno said:

The other poster said he had to show his passport to register at DTAC. That would be about registering a sim card, not a phone, so I thought IMEI was not relevant. Especially as you can simply move the sim to another phone. Presumably DTAC would 't care about the IMEI of your phone at time of purchase of sim card.

I also wonder about everything you said. I have a German friend who has both a smart phone and an old Nokia that he uses for phoning. If he gets a sim with his smart phone and moves it to his cheap old non smart phone, I wonder just how much info gets transmitted....

Send your wife/gf in to register the phone.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triangulating a phone with a SIM now is an expensive, time-consuming, inaccurate method.

Using the W-Locate (XImLoc)/Morpho solution - this is what AIS uses for their Mobile Track & Trace application (which businesses use to track mobile employees/fleets) - is relatively inexpensive, can be accessed via web interface in real-time, does not rely on GPS (in the phone). One assumes this is the SIM/technology which would be used?

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/ais-launches-sim-only-tracking-solution

http://www.safran-group.com/media/20150303_morpho-and-w-locate-partner-bring-location-based-services-ais-thailand

http://aisclub.ais.co.th/WebboardDetail.aspx?mid=28&room=7&qid=89967

On 10/1/2016 at 10:04 AM, Chicog said:

Why don't they just have stamps ready at the airport for everyone's foreheads on arrival: "Farang - No good".

It makes as much sense as this idiotic idea.

that would counter act the known stamp  of walking ATM

On 10/3/2016 at 11:17 PM, surangw said:

that would counter act the known stamp  of walking ATM

Exscuse me ,  you are only as good , as your last ATM , withdrawal .

You are being monitored . Good farlang , bad farlang .

• 1 month later...

I got a few sms messages this past month that they want me to upgrade my sim card for free, I ignored them. Got a called the other day from DTAC with the guy asking me to upgrade my sim card and he would either mail it to me or I could go to DTAC myself.  When I asked why he said that the new sim card will give me better usage when I'm overseas. Could this be a trial sim card for tracking purposes? Anyone else get a call to change their sim card? I specifically got a new sim card 2 years ago for international use 4G and that new system they use overseas.