thai id card for foreigners

I have read various helpful posts on this subject, but my local Amphur will not issue me with an id card, even though they issued me with the yellow book 3 months ago.

I think the only chance I have , of getting this pink card, is if I can show them an official notice, in Thai, stating that I am entitled to one. Can anyone out there send me a copy of such a notice, of info on how I can get it.

• Like 1

hi ubonjoe

I showed this document to a friend who understands English, and it appears that it is dated 2551 i.e. 2008, and seems to refer to id cards for Thais.  What I am looking for is a letter that the minister of internal affairs sent out to all tessaban and amphoes dated february this year (2559  i.e. 2016).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NACHALUAY said:

hi ubonjoe

I showed this document to a friend who understands English, and it appears that it is dated 2551 i.e. 2008, and seems to refer to id cards for Thais.  What I am looking for is a letter that the minister of internal affairs sent out to all tessaban and amphoes dated february this year (2559  i.e. 2016).

It is not only for Thais. It has info is about yellow house books and ID cards. It refers to the civil registration act  of 2551. Others have used it to prove it is possible to get the ID card.

I am not aware of any of any letter sent out by the minister of interior this year.

• Like 1

I have ploughed through the BORA regs in the past and there is a separate thread about pink IDs.  The and the short is that under amendments to the Civil Registration Act in 2008:

1) District offices are obliged to register all foreigners considered long term residents in their districts and issue them with yellow books (TR13).  There is no definition of long term but I believe that anyone not on a tourist or transit visa qualifies.

2) District offices are obliged to issue pink ID cards to foreigners residing in their districts who have been granted permanent residence and are in blue books (TR14). 

So for farangs there is no way to be in a yellow book and have a pink ID card.  I think  would apply only minorities who don't have Thai nationality or permanent residence.  The pink ID is actually designed for them and has wording on the back prohibiting travel outside their district. Oddly enough permanent residents that can persuade their DO to issue them with the pink card get the same card with the same wording on the back.  But many DOs refuse to issue the card to PRs, despite the legal requirement to do so, for reasons better known to themselves. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Arkady said:

So for farangs there is no way to be in a yellow book and have a pink ID card.  I think  would apply only minorities who don't have Thai nationality or permanent residence.  The pink ID is actually designed for them and has wording on the back prohibiting travel outside their district. Oddly enough permanent residents that can persuade their DO to issue them with the pink card get the same card with the same wording on the back.  But many DOs refuse to issue the card to PRs, despite the legal requirement to do so, for reasons better known to themselves. 

I thought that was mainly the point of most people applying for the pink ID card - as you said, those without Thai nationality or PR.

I'd never really looked at the wording on the back before, the part about travelling outside of the area where the card was issed/covers.

IIRC I think there was some wording similar to this on the ID card issued to hilltribes, etc - the one with the pink diagonal line across it -  prohibiting travel/work outside of the area?

Edited by bluesofa

What I did today.
Yellow book, passport and copies.

Answering a couple of questions, fingerprinting, taking photo.

11 minutes ago, sumrit said:

In order to obtain a pink ID card a foreigner must first be in possession of a yellow Tabien Baan. 

Sure and this is the bigger hurdle usually (translations etc.).

Yellow book includes name in Thai script and assigning citizen id (starting with "6" in my case as a "temporary foreigner").

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This is the card that I got today.

(serial 0000002, seems I am only the second "farang" who got one in our remote upcountry district)

I live on retirement extension (although married to Thai wife).

I have a yellow book since 2013.

A mate in a neighboring district with the same situation has got his ID card about a month ago (I have seen it).

pink_card_pixelated.jpg

Is the ID number on your pink card the same 13-digit ID number (เลขประจําตัวประชาชน) you have in the yellow house registration book? Or is the number on the card only 12 digits long?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

Is the ID number on your pink card the same 13-digit ID number (เลขประจําตัวประชาชน) you have in the yellow house registration book? Or is the number on the card only 12 digits long?

Exactly the same 13 digits (the citizen ID).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, muzmurray said:

LOL, number 3 on the rear of the card stipulates that the holder is not allowed to leave the area in which the card was issued !!

Even less reason to get one.

Obviously remains of its use for foreign workers (Myanmar etc.) who often do not have another form of ID when in Thailand.

Fortunately I am not forced to use it :biggrin:

Still have a passport.

No reason not to get one.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, SpoliaOpima said:

I can also confirm that I obtained the pink foreigner ID card and also hold a yellow house reg book. I'm not a permanent resident but rather on non-B visa and work permit. I received mine in Chiang Mai. In place of an expiry date, mine says valid for life.

You've told us you are at least sixty, for it to say "valid for life".

It has exactly the same criteria for this as the Thai ID card. (The English translation on the Thai ID says "lifelong")

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

You've told us you are at least sixty, for it to say "valid for life".

It has exactly the same criteria for this as the Thai ID card. (The English translation on the Thai ID says "lifelong")

That explains it, as I'm indeed 60+. Didn't realize that made a difference; glad it does.

The Thai reads ตลอดชีวิด under the heading วันบัตรหมดอายุ, which I interpret, together, simply as valid for life. Says a bit more than just 'lifelong' but YMMV.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, I forgot that the pink ID is only in Thai, whereas the Thai ID is Thai & English, a bit weird really!

I was quoting my father in-law's card, and yes the Thai says the same "ตลอดชีวิด" and underneath says "lifelong".

edit: I was just looking up the meaning of "YMMV". I take it you used it in the sense of "your meaning may vary", as opposed to "you make me vomit". Ha ha, don't worry I think I understood you meant the first option, but the abbrevation does have two completely different meanings!

Now I understand you were referring to an actual English phrase appearing on the Thai ID card. I thought you were correcting my interpretation of the Thai (which is fair game of course!).

Definitely not 'vomit'! Actually 'your mileage may vary', more or less the same as 'your meaning may vary'.

Appreciated the info on age and expiration. Reminds me of when I applied for a 10-year tourist visa for India a few weeks ago. The staffer who took my application at CKGS, the visa processing agency, asked me 'are you sure you'll still be going to India 10 years from now?'

Edited by SpoliaOpima
  • Haha 1

For the OP or those having difficulties with their Amphurs.

The information is confirmed in the updated Civil Registration Act 2008 (2)

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons. The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

Section 4. Paragraph two of Section 6 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced be the following:

“The provision in paragraph one is allowed to use for making a copy or making a copy and being certified true copy of identification card and other civil registration document in accordance with this Act for persons without Thai nationality.”

“The Ministerial Regulation in paragraph one may set rates of fees which is not excessive in the end of this Act.”

Rates of Fees _________________

(1) Identification card for persons without  Thai nationality under Section 5 -

-For the first time or renewing each copy 100 baht

- For losing or being ruined each copy 100 baht

- For changing in the details each copy 100 baht

(2) A copy or a copy with certification of a true copy  of registration or identification card under Section 6 each copy 100 baht

(3) A copy or a copy with certification of a true copy  of civil registration under Section 14 (1) each copy 100 baht

(4) Birth report under Section 18 paragraph three; Death report under Section 21 paragraph four or Notice of change of address under Section 30  paragraph two and paragraph four each copy 100 baht

(5) A copy of a household registration  under Section 39 paragraph two each copy 100 baht

Thai Civil Registration Act (2551) 2008..pdf

Edited by Faz

Has been discussed elsewhere in the forum.

Fortunately I have more ID than this :biggrin:

Very likely these points were made for foreign workers.

I don't care. Such card does not affect the written rules for foreigners about moving/reporting.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, SpoliaOpima said:

Appreciated the info on age and expiration. Reminds me of when I applied for a 10-year tourist visa for India a few weeks ago. The staffer who took my application at CKGS, the visa processing agency, asked me 'are you sure you'll still be going to India 10 years from now?'

Ha ha! Was that an attempt at humour by the staff, or a serious question?

Perhaps it was based on their own life expectation. I see acccrding to wiki, India has a life expectancy of 68. If it was a Thai asking, their life expectancy is 75. I'm a Brit so I could live to be 81, but I see Americans can only expect to get to 79.

• Haha 1

Here's a post from the earlier thread on the card.  I also remember a different translation of the rear of the card a bit later but I just can't find it now. 

Mac

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/898085-id-card-for-farangs/?page=7

24 May 2016

A friend did this translation:

OFFICE OF CENTRAL REGISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATION MININISTRY OF INTERIOR
INSTRUCTION FOR HOLDER IDENTIFICATION
1.This card is not ID.card
2.To carry all times for review
3.Do not allow the name on the card to leave the issue area unless those who have certificate of alien registration or who have allow writing letter.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sure makes it sound more those issued to foreign workers from Burma, Laos, Cambodia, etc.
Mac

On 10/3/2016 at 11:04 AM, bluesofa said:

I don't know if you have a Thai speaker to help you, if so you could try phoning:
Bora (Bureau Of Registration Administration) on 1567, also 02-791-7000
I got my wife to check with them about requirements for the card. When she queried some details, they gave her a phone number of a public(?) lawyer in Bangkok who gave her very precise information over the phone for free, even contradicting some erroneous details from Bora (unfortunately I didn’t keep that number).

If you’re still struggling there’s always the Office Of The Ombudsman on 1676, also 02-141-9100
I see a couple of TV members posted here that they used them when refused application for the Pink ID card. On one occasion it took 24 hours and the amphur contacted the applicant directly in order to apply again for the card  -  successfully.

So you need a Thai speaking person to call The Bureau of Registraton  Administration (English)

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So you need a Thai speaking person to call The Bureau of Registraton  Administration (English)

I wrote ithe name in English as it's an English language forum.

Just from experience, even if they do speak English at BORA, I've always found it easier to get a Thai to speak to them as quite often (not always though) it does tend to lose some important details when discussed in English.

• Like 2