living in HCMC

jonbalion

5 hours ago, jumbo said:

The 1,100 usd is for the driver and the car that I was looking for

yer jokin'? 5 years ago a terciary educated accountant in a position of responsibility out in Ha Tinh province was on USD100  per month...free accomodation but they had to pay for their food...

5 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I could live and have lived in Ho Chi Minh City.

My problem would be with the banks.

The U.S. government does not like me sending my Social Security pension to HCMC.

It has even been suggested by Social Security officials that i would be "Unpatriotic" to send my money to Vietnam.

I can and do that here in Thailand easily.

Otherwise i might be in Vietnam.

For god's sake, the Vietnam war ended in 1975.

I know, I spent 7 years there from 1966 to 1973

Nearly 2/3 of the people now  living in HCMC were not even born then.

On a plane from HCMC to Bangkok last year I met a Vietnamese man who was studying Mechanical Engineering in the Universuty of Connecticut.

My choice of where to live would be Nha Trang or Vung Tau if I was able to do it.

me forever for Ha Tinh province near Ky Anh where I lived and worked for a year...it has a wild beauty that reminds me of California...and nobody knows about it, not even the backpackers...('the light and space of VN really put the zap on his head...')

and someone told me about the US SSA problem there...unpatriotic??? utter bosh...they probably reckon that senator John McCain was patriotic by bombing defenceless farmers into the stone age...

gonna be headin' back fer a visit soon...a local friend bought a convenience store business in Ky Anh and wants a business partner...

the beginning of investment flight to VN from Thailand...

6 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I could live and have lived in Ho Chi Minh City.

My problem would be with the banks.

The U.S. government does not like me sending my Social Security pension to HCMC.

It has even been suggested by Social Security officials that i would be "Unpatriotic" to send my money to Vietnam.

I can and do that here in Thailand easily.

Otherwise i might be in Vietnam.

For god's sake, the Vietnam war ended in 1975.

I know, I spent 7 years there from 1966 to 1973

Nearly 2/3 of the people now  living in HCMC were not even born then.

On a plane from HCMC to Bangkok last year I met a Vietnamese man who was studying Mechanical Engineering in the Universuty of Connecticut.

My choice of where to live would be Nha Trang or Vung Tau if I was able to do it.

I'm not American. But there must be thousands of Americans in VN, some of whom have their pensions sent there. A way around it is to have the pension sent to a US bank and have the bank wire it to the VN bank.  Simple.

Interestingly, I intend to move from Bangkok to Vung Tau next spring. I understand from some FB expat forums that expats avoid government owned banks, i.e., joint stock enterprises, which is code for partially government owned companies. They recommend private banks, which tend to be more business oriented and are not spilling over with regulations and practices that are the antithesis of business and customer service. I need to investigate this more. 

Side note: More and more friends, most of whom I've known for nearly 10 years, are leaving Thailand, some folks going back home and some moving to Cambodia and VN.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

18 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yer jokin'? 5 years ago a terciary educated accountant in a position of responsibility out in Ha Tinh province was on USD100  per month...free accomodation but they had to pay for their food...

Driver maybe gets 120 USD rest is for car, gas, taxes, food for him, toll etc

20 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Briefly looked into Vietnam but the only Visa option I could see for me (single, 50 yr old Brit) would be 3 month tourist visas & having to leave the country every 90 days.

Is that correct or did I miss another option?

looks like a one year multi entry visa is possible, if ye got the dosh...

http://govietnamvisa.com/page/vietnam-visa?gclid=CPWWuPe64dACFcuOaAodJX4Jdg