Best Cinema In Bangkok

Jookster

At Paragon there are tickets at normal prices also (120 & 160Baht) the 600Baht tickets are for the 1st class (or whatever they call it there) screens. They also have the Nokia screens for 1500Baht, I have always been curious but never gone, has anyone been? What is the difference?

I went to Paragon last Sunday, only to discover tickets at 600 baht each! Crazy I though, but it is really the best? Who has been?

Also a rather specific question related to where I live but what's better Emporium or Major Sukhumvit (Ekkami)?

Thanks

worth every penny, you soon realize as you settle onto your sofa with blankets and pillows, a girl on your arm and a bloody mary in your hand. now if only the movies were worth seeing ...

I went to see James Bond last night at the Emporium and was very disappointed with it....

NOT the movie, that was fine, I was disappointed with there NOT being a 1st class seat in the cinema!

The only seats in the cinema are B80 or B250 and the B250 seats are simply at the back and are about 6 inches wider than the regular seats!! - no blankets, no cushions, no table, no attendants, nothing.

Another thing I was a bit pissed off with is that I could have bought an B80 seat and then moved back to the B250 seats once I actually arrived in the theatre - there was nobody checking the seats, not a single person came round throughout the entire movie :o

I kept on asking the cashier if there was a better seat in the cinema just to make sure I wasn't missing something but he was adamant!

I would not recommend Emporium for 1st class/gold/platinum/or whatever you want to call it - either they have reduced the seat prices and the comfort level with it or I was being lied to by the cashier(highly unlikely)

I was really looking forward to watching the movie in the height of comfort but was left feeling ripped off, has anybody ever had a good seat at the Emporium??

My partner and I want to go and see Dejavu soon but I am not going to pay over-the-odds prices for a slightly bigger seat!

Any recommendations on the proper service - all the extras, service during the movie etc etc?

Nikkijah

They also have the Nokia screens for 1500Baht, I have always been curious but never gone, has anyone been? What is the difference?

Everyone is talking on their mobile phones....

Oh wait, that is in every cinema and not just the nokia screens. Nevermind

Not last night poorfalang, that was a positive...

I really wanted to spoil me and the missus last night, big comfy chairs, chair 'service' etc

We have never been to the cinema together - it's never really appealed to me but she was keen so we went expecting to be treated like VIPs, you know what I mean! But we weren't :o

Does anybody know where we can go for our next cinema experience, somewhere we will get all the trimmings for sure!?

Has anybody recently been to a cinema and come out afterwards feeling a little bit pampered - I'm going to get ripped for saying the but some of you must know what I mean??

Nikkijah

Here is a sampling from my experiences with a 1-5 star rating based on my personal preferences. The thing they all have in common is assigned seats, ample legroom, and reasonably priced condiments. Theatres are one of the really great things about Bangkok and there are many others.

MBK ** a zoo! Thai's love this one and it's always packed with high school / college types. Facilities are just "ok". If you like the excitement of a crowd, this is the place.

Metropolis ** is above Big C across from world trade. This one for some reason is popular with young kids with their mom. Screens a bit smallish and not overly plush, but decent.

Siam Paragon ** was a disappointment. Despite being in the newest and finest spot in Bangkok, the theatre has a blah, empty feeling and the screens here are undersized compared to other areas.

Emporium **** is a good and well appointed theatre, also quite popular but not so much of a zoo like MBK and a more refined experience.

World Trade **** is quiet. If you like watching movies in big theatres with just a handful of people, this is the place (though don’t expect it to be free from the occasional mobile phone chat). Between all the construction and newer trendy areas not many people go here anymore. It's plush, comfortable, and well appointed though starting to show a bit of wear. You may look at this one and say “they sure don’t make ‘em like this anymore”.

Siam Discovery Gold Class ***** is the very best! Massaging, full recline leather seats, great bar, hors d'oeuvre menu, pillow, and blanket. Will be tough to get out of here for under 1000 baht a head though. Good for those really long movies or super special occasions.

Excellent The Coder! Just what I was looking for, it seems like you've got an idea about what I was after, I'll be off to Siam Discovery Gold Class next time!

Thanks!

Nikkijah

Here is a sampling from my experiences with a 1-5 star rating based on my personal preferences. The thing they all have in common is assigned seats, ample legroom, and reasonably priced condiments. Theatres are one of the really great things about Bangkok and there are many others.

MBK ** a zoo! Thai's love this one and it's always packed with high school / college types. Facilities are just "ok". If you like the excitement of a crowd, this is the place.

Metropolis ** is above Big C across from world trade. This one for some reason is popular with young kids with their mom. Screens a bit smallish and not overly plush, but decent.

Siam Paragon ** was a disappointment. Despite being in the newest and finest spot in Bangkok, the theatre has a blah, empty feeling and the screens here are undersized compared to other areas.

Emporium **** is a good and well appointed theatre, also quite popular but not so much of a zoo like MBK and a more refined experience.

World Trade **** is quiet. If you like watching movies in big theatres with just a handful of people, this is the place (though don’t expect it to be free from the occasional mobile phone chat). Between all the construction and newer trendy areas not many people go here anymore. It's plush, comfortable, and well appointed though starting to show a bit of wear. You may look at this one and say “they sure don’t make ‘em like this anymore”.

Siam Discovery Gold Class ***** is the very best! Massaging, full recline leather seats, great bar, hors d'oeuvre menu, pillow, and blanket. Will be tough to get out of here for under 1000 baht a head though. Good for those really long movies or super special occasions.

Another thing The Coder, are all movies in the Siam Discovery cinema played in English?

Your everyday English movies are not dubbed and have Thai subtitles. Thai movies usually have English subtitles but not always. I certainly would expect anything shown in the gold class cinema would have English of one or the other. They specify it on the titles. (EN/TH) means english with thai subtitles. (TH/EN) means thai with english subtitles. You can check out showtimes at www.egv.com. You can also call them and reserve seats over the phone which is not a bad idea as the theatre doesn't fit too many people since the chairs take up a gigantic amount of space.

Note there are other "gold class" cinemas out there, but Siam Discovery is the only one I've been to and it's so good I never been tempted to try any of the others. You even have a little table for your condiments and can open a bottle of wine they have a selection of!

Another thing The Coder, are all movies in the Siam Discovery cinema played in English?

Your everyday English movies are not dubbed and have Thai subtitles. Thai movies usually have English subtitles but not always. I certainly would expect anything shown in the gold class cinema would have English of one or the other. They specify it on the titles. (EN/TH) means english with thai subtitles. (TH/EN) means thai with english subtitles. You can check out showtimes at www.egv.com. You can also call them and reserve seats over the phone which is not a bad idea as the theatre doesn't fit too many people since the chairs take up a gigantic amount of space.

Note there are other "gold class" cinemas out there, but Siam Discovery is the only one I've been to and it's so good I never been tempted to try any of the others. You even have a little table for your condiments and can open a bottle of wine they have a selection of!

as i said, worth every penny. no crowds, no fuss, and i have never heard a mobile phone go of while wattching a film.

Cheers! Sounds excellent, will definitely be choosing a wine when we're there :D

I've just checked the egv.com website and can't see DEJAVU anywhere?? Any ideas when its released?

I've googled for its Asia release date but with no results :o

Nikkijah

I went to see James Bond last night at the Emporium and was very disappointed with it....

NOT the movie, that was fine, I was disappointed with there NOT being a 1st class seat in the cinema!

The only seats in the cinema are B80 or B250 and the B250 seats are simply at the back and are about 6 inches wider than the regular seats!! - no blankets, no cushions, no table, no attendants, nothing.

Another thing I was a bit pissed off with is that I could have bought an B80 seat and then moved back to the B250 seats once I actually arrived in the theatre - there was nobody checking the seats, not a single person came round throughout the entire movie :o

I kept on asking the cashier if there was a better seat in the cinema just to make sure I wasn't missing something but he was adamant!

I would not recommend Emporium for 1st class/gold/platinum/or whatever you want to call it - either they have reduced the seat prices and the comfort level with it or I was being lied to by the cashier(highly unlikely)

I was really looking forward to watching the movie in the height of comfort but was left feeling ripped off, has anybody ever had a good seat at the Emporium??

My partner and I want to go and see Dejavu soon but I am not going to pay over-the-odds prices for a slightly bigger seat!

Any recommendations on the proper service - all the extras, service during the movie etc etc?

Nikkijah

Bl**dy H*ll, that's all pretty rough, how could you possibly stand it!

Nikkijah

Bl**dy H*ll, that's all pretty rough, how could you possibly stand it!

:D

You know what I mean...

I'd sit onna folding chair under a fan if I could find a decent art house type venue...what youse guys is describin' is not cinema, just simple plebian popcorn entertainment...

sheesh...people chatting on their mobiles in an auditorium should be either lynched or shot upon audible recognition...

VIP at MBK is actually quite ok....

Tell us about it then!

Does it compare with The Coders 5* rating of his/her Siam Discovery experience?

Nikkijah

Big seats, blankets, ample space, enough place to put drinks and snacks. Not the bigest screen but you have a good view from all angles, good sound, affordable, 2 tickets for a total of 500 THB.

Edited by Fun2Fun

I'd sit onna folding chair under a fan if I could find a decent art house type venue...what youse guys is describin' is not cinema, just simple plebian popcorn entertainment...

sheesh...people chatting on their mobiles in an auditorium should be either lynched or shot upon audible recognition...

Not one single mobile phone rang last night :o

Obviously not up to your standards though :D

Edited by Nikkijah

my favourite cinema is the one at big c, rajdamri.

it has the biggest seats and the air-con is just about right.

the air-con at mbk is way too low....

paragon is nothing special but central rama 3 is a decent choice too. it's got plenty of screens and you can normally get a good seat at the back with extra leg room for 140 baht.

The Nokia Ultra Screens in Paragon gets my vote. 600 baht, but it's worth every satang. I've always been there since they've opened it, good service, very good sound and video quality, the chairs are as comfortable as it gets. As for the 1500 baht tickets...well, I've never heard of it, robhudd, maybe you was asked to pay for the entire group? :o

Ive been to all the major cinemas and Gold Class at all of them as well.

Gold class at EGV Grand (Siam Discovery) is very nice. My favorite gold class is at Paragon. They had full bar service for us and even gave us free coctails and snacks. The seats were extrememly comfortable as to be expected, and I thought they were nicer then EGV.

Personally, back home in Chicago I pay 500 baht for normal crappy seats anways, so treating myself to gold class here is a no brainer. I love Thai cinemas.

When I was in Bangkok we went 3-4 times a week. If you are going often then buy your tickets in bulk. We always got special deals. 10 free games of bowling, free snacks, extra tickets, etc.

Ive been to all the major cinemas and Gold Class at all of them as well.

Gold class at EGV Grand (Siam Discovery) is very nice. My favorite gold class is at Paragon. They had full bar service for us and even gave us free coctails and snacks. The seats were extrememly comfortable as to be expected, and I thought they were nicer then EGV.

Personally, back home in Chicago I pay 500 baht for normal crappy seats anways, so treating myself to gold class here is a no brainer. I love Thai cinemas.

When I was in Bangkok we went 3-4 times a week. If you are going often then buy your tickets in bulk. We always got special deals. 10 free games of bowling, free snacks, extra tickets, etc.

This is exactly what I'm after, pay the same price, maybe even cheaper than back in the UK but get a far superior experience for my money!

I'll be checking out Siam Discovery next time I think

I'd sit onna folding chair under a fan if I could find a decent art house type venue...

I like RCA House for art flicks. Don't mind being in the theater with only 2-3 other people, but getting a taxi after 10 or 11 pm is a bit of a pain.

Siam Gold was nice, but it was so cold my friend took my blanket and promptly fell asleep while I froze.

The only bum thing about those VIP seats in the back of the theater is that you get to watch and hear all the people in front of you running off to the restroom, going for popcorn, talking on mobiles, talking to each other, etc...

But I do love going to the movies in LOS.