Walking my dog past a 'pack' of other aggressive dogs

We are about to move into a nice new house that has rice fields directly across the road. There are some nice quiet roads / tracks to walk my dog but first I have to get past a farmers house that has 5 dogs residing. A few days ago I walked past the house by myself (without my fury friend) and they all came out barking and carrying on. 

What is my best strategy to deal with these dogs as I don't want my boy to be attacked? Should I carry a high pressure water pistol with bleach in it? I think I should put him on a lead and keep him close to me and hope for the best. If I do this everyday surely it will be ok after a few weeks. 

Or should I also carry some food and make them learn that we are not a danger to them. If I perhaps walk past and throw some chicken wings or whatever on the ground they might change their tune. 

One thing I know about this country is that dogs are a major and annoying problem...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not walk my dog past them on a leash and just hope for the best because your dog will be at a profound disadvantage when this pack of dogs attacks.

Continue doing as you are doing now walking past them alone until you have developed a good strategy. 

Personally, I think that strategy needs to include pepper spray. It should only take once for those dogs to become afraid of you. Once you can walk by without issue then you can chance it with your dog.

Make sure your dog's shots are all current.

6 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

I gave up walking my dog because of this.

A shame as she loves a good walk.

I am not going to take her out to be attacked every day.

Too many morons buy puppies and then just abandon them to run wild.

I walk my dog every day.  

walking-stick.jpg

Your dog definitely needs to be on a leash, if for no other reason than traffic safety. Recommended deterrents are a stick (a bamboo switch works well), a raised arm (feigning throwing a rock), or possibly a loud whistle. Not recommended are chemicals, and throwing rocks. The chemicals get all over your hands and irritate your eyes. Sprays risk injuring children either from direct or indirect contact when they play with the family pet. Rocks, which rarely hit the target, can injure people or property.

Around my house everyone has a dog, so I had to navigate a half kilometer gauntlet. Very stressful, as the dogs liked ambushing and coming from every direction. Utimately ended up packing the dog into the car, and driving to a secluded spot.

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Your dog definitely needs to be on a leash, if for no other reason than traffic safety. Recommended deterrents are a stick (a bamboo switch works well), a raised arm (feigning throwing a rock), or possibly a loud whistle. Not recommended are chemicals, and throwing rocks. The chemicals get all over your hands and irritate your eyes. Sprays risk injuring children either from direct or indirect contact when they play with the family pet. Rocks, which rarely hit the target, can injure people or property.

Around my house everyone has a dog, so I had to navigate a half kilometer gauntlet. Very stressful, as the dogs liked ambushing and coming from every direction. Utimately ended up packing the dog into the car, and driving to a secluded spot.

You provide al of this advice and then you finish by saying your advice did not work for you and your dog so now you drive him for his walk  ?

Did I misunderstand something here ? 

15 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

You provide al of this advice and then you finish by saying your advice did not work for you and your dog so now you drive him for his walk  ?

Did I misunderstand something here ? 

Techniques to prevent your dog from being bitten are one thing. Techniques to completely stop dogs from barking and harassing you and your pet on a walk probably don't exist. Sometimes avoidance is the best solution. 

Clutch mentioned shots and thats the TRUTH. The farmers dogs have likely never see the inside of a vets office and parvo, distemper, etc and very much alive and well here in thailand and these dogs being outdoor territory animals have likely been exposed and may be carriers. Get all shots/boosters/de-wormers up to date and if they are not, make sure you keep ur dog at the house until immunity can be established. 

On to the topic, I gave up trying to walk my dog cause of the same reason. Dogs know when they are outside of their "Territory" and if you take yours out and he is on a leash, behavior may change around these dogs. 5 against 1 on a leash... Yeah. Now add yourself in there trying to keep your dog from getting killed, and you could easily get bitten as well. 

I definitely would not give the dogs food in any way, shape, or form. They may become less "afraid" of you, but before you know it they will be in your territory looking for food or feel encouraged to approach. 

I don't really have a solution here. Its hard to safely bring a domesticated house/family dog around wild farm dogs because the house dog likely has no socialization skills for this situation. 

Personally, I would put the dog in the car and take him to a safe spot to walk. I don't think its worth it to try and battle with this kind of thing. 

54 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Pepper spray/bleach/big stick dog lovers then 555555.

Why not just go shoot them job done oh and whilst your at it grow some balls.

If I was at home, and I had a pack of nuisance wild dogs around that could be disease carriers, I would definitely shoot them. I could call animal control, but they would do the same thing by euthanasia.

Regardless of how the pack of dogs react to you on your own, all bets are off when you have a dog with you.  They may be scared to death of you and your stick, or look forward to seeing you and your treats, but they may still attack your pooch in their territory.

I'd suggest bringing at least 2 people the first few times so one of you can deal with your own pooch and the other one can deal with the pack of local dogs.  More than 2 would be better until you figure out how they're going to react.

Buy your fury friend you say a companion,  for some reason never seen stay dogs go near a large Labrador in our village,  l guess Rottweiler would be better company.

I really don't understand why people stop going and doing things because of these roaming ugly animals the thickest of Thais have, it's an insult to call em dogs IMO.

OP, what sort of dog do you have?

And probably more important, what is your reaction to the dog pack? Confident, Angry, Scared, Worried? As other posters have said, you need to have your dog on a lead and the reason i asked about your reaction is because what you are feeling will be transferred to your dog/dogs and that will be a big part of the story that happens next.

Best way i have found addressing packs while walking my dogs is to wait for the initial charge (if it indeed ever happens) and just stop or walk towards them. Never back away and make sure you get between the pack and your own dog (very very few dogs are completely feral here and will think twice when faced by a human). This stops anything developing nine times out of ten. On the one out of ten times it doesn't work, plan B comes in.

Walking stick.jpg

After 8 years of walking dogs daily here (when i am at home) i have developed my 'walking stick'. It is made from SS316 tubing, weld sealed at one end and filled with a mixture of sand and oil to give it additional weight. The golf ball handle screws in to seal the tubing. The device taped halfway down is an Ultrafire, very high lum torch. It is something that isn't talked about much with reference to dog deterrents, but i have found it to be great especially if the torch has a strobe mode. This freaks most of them out, even in daylight! 

During my dog walking treks, i have walked through packs of 20 or more dogs with no problems, that said though, no real aggressive ones about. Plus the fact that i was walking two siberians which, while not showing aggression would never back down to any other dog. Unfortunately we have recently lost one of the sibes, so i have upped the game a bit and now have one 32kg sibe and an 11 week old 'Czech' German Shepherd pup (who is already at 14kg!).

Will be interesting to see what happens in about six months when the GSD grows up a bit..............................;)

17 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

you could buy a DAZER which emits an ultrasonic sound that makes them back off.

it really works and it has saved me numerous times when I ride my bicycle past aggressive dogs.

Humans can't hear it but the dogs certainly can:smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer-II-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B000IBRI2Y

Have you tried this in Thailand?

21 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

When you condition the dogs correctly then it is not a daily occurrence. Basically you establish the dominant role and the dogs accept it.

Right now the dogs you describe are the dominant alphas and you are not and that is why you will have daily problems.

There is a little toy poodle who barks every time I walk pasts his house.  Do you think he thinks he is the alpha?  Do I go up to the lady's gate and yell at the little dog to establish my dominance?

When you condition the dogs correctly then it is not a daily occurrence. Basically you establish the dominant role and the dogs accept it.

Right now the dogs you describe are the dominant alphas and you are not and that is why you will have daily problems.

A swift boot in the knackers wouldn't go a miss !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pack of six @ a remote property where we park in order to walk our dog are pretty vocal but have calmed down since getting used to us/dog/car and realising that any intimidation will be in their direction & not the other way round. To achieve this all I needed to do was stand my ground, followed by walking 2 or 3 paces towards them with a hiking stick in my hand whenever they tried it on. Our dog is timid by nature and completely unphased by their racket. She remains harnessed until clear to be released.

This pack stick to their boundary which is 100m or so from where we park & only make a noise of late when younger ones are trying to impress or elevate their standing in the pack. If our pre-teenage sons come too it's even easier as our 'packs' appear evenly matched, causing them to stay further away.

The worst thing anyone can do is Run!

HTH

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

There is a little toy poodle who barks every time I walk pasts his house.  Do you think he thinks he is the alpha?  Do I go up to the lady's gate and yell at the little dog to establish my dominance?

Little dog syndrome.

Occasionally seen in the human species as well.

I am a soi dog and I must inject a note of protest on behalf of my fellow soi dogs.
- All we do is defend our territory. Those 2 legged monsters, invading our territory,  smell of soap and after shave. Their "dandy" dogs smell of flea powder. Both is an insult to our highly developed sense of smell.
Those 2 legged monsters have Football for entertainment and fun. The only thing we have for fun is ankle biting.
Successful ankle biting is also our only way climb the "career-ladder" within the pack.
We are considering legal action against those intruders and their "hangers-on".
Wau and Grrrrrrr

Sounds like your pooch doesn't command RESPECT.  You need to get him some bad ass clothing and accessories.  Make him look like a canine you don't mess with.  I recommend gangsta rapper or punk.  As an added benefit, it might help him with the bitches.

http://www.zazzle.com/rap+pet+clothing

http://www.rapbasement.com/snoop-dogg/snoop-dogg-launched-dog-clothing.html

Edited by ChidlomDweller

A bitch is easier to walk. I walk her past 10+ dogs to the fields with the biggest group of 4. Hairy when we first started on the lead but everyone got to know each other in time. As the walker you are the Alpha and stand your ground, if you back away you have lost. Your own dogs temperament also comes into play. Anticipate where the dogs come from so no surprises and never let them follow closely behind. I don't carry a stick as this usually winds the dogs up into a frenzy.

If too dangerous use a car to get out into the countryside.

On 10/1/2016 at 10:19 AM, Deepinthailand said:

Pepper spray/bleach/big stick dog lovers then 555555.

Why not just go shoot them job done oh and whilst your at it grow some balls.

You know nothing lover boy.........local Thais who run for exercise  here carry a  big stick with them and use it if necessary.

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

Yes, feed them, then they'll wag their tails when they see you coming.

Not sure if you are serious but this works much better when it is a single dog.

When you try it with a pack of dogs then they usually get into fights with each other chasing down the pieces of food and then your dog is more lokely to get nipped because the dogs become riled. 

Farm dogs are more territorial and not used to getting kicked by strangers like Soi Dogs so they are less likely to back down basd on my experience with Thai dogs.