How To Make Your Old, Slow Computer Like-New Again one!!

momtaz

46 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Of course I've tested my backups. Despite your condescending tone, I'm not an idiot.

20 minutes a week seems like a reasonable backup regime? I guess you value your time differently to mine. 

Pointless continuing this. Bye.

On Thursday, October 06, 2016 at 6:47 PM, SoiBiker said:

Thing is, it's kind of easier to just type a command into terminal than it is to poke around in a complicated system of windows and menus. You just need to get over the fact that it's a bit weird at first. If you're not prepared to make a step like that, then using a different OS probably isn't for you.

You have entirely the wrong idea. There's nothing in the least "weird" about it. There's nothing impressive or intimidating about it. I started w/ Unix myself and was once quite an expert w/ bash & vi. And Emacs. Glad that's all behind me. :)

No, finding out what the command is and the target of the command, having to remember it so that you don't need to find it again, using all the right options, using the right syntax, then retyping several times to get out the typos is, quite simply, just more of a PIA than doing the same thing w/ a few easily remembered clicks--or just not having to do it all.

Edited by JSixpack