Three Questions

boxig

1. The Royal Institute book of classifiers says it's just สะพาน (hence, a classifier that repeats the head noun), though I can imagine แห่ง is probably also acceptable.

2. ตัดข้าม = "cut across," as in a person cutting across the street, or a boat cutting across a river, sideways across the "flow," although other meanings are undoubtedly possible. What is the context?

3. เหน็บชา

1. The Royal Institute book of classifiers says it's just ????? (hence, a classifier that repeats the head noun), though I can imagine ???? is probably also acceptable.

2. ??????? = "cut across," as in a person cutting across the street, or a boat cutting across a river, sideways across the "flow," although other meanings are undoubtedly possible. What is the context?

3. ???????

Well done, Rikker :o but ' Haeng ' on your post means ' a place '

Haeng Nai, Tee Nai, Tee Dai = where

Edited by baennaenae

Baennaenae, you are a welcome new addition to this forum, but a word of advice on etiquette. You need to build up "cred" before you can start posting on every single thread, and using threads for troubleshooting your computer ills, without running into some resentment from those who've been around a while. Me, I've been on this forum not even a year yet, but it still kinda rubs me the wrong way. I have no doubt you'll surpass my number of posts within a week, but I wanted to throw that out there, hopefully in a friendly way.

Also, I'm very open to your advice, but please make it as helpful as possible.

Saying,

"Well done, Rikker wink.gif but ' Haeng ' on your post means ' a place '"

isn't very helpful.

It's both obvious and doesn't help me understand what your qualm is with suggesting แห่ง as a classifier for bridges. แห่ง is often used as a classifier to refer to instances of a type of edifice, that is, the number of physical locations it is in. I was suggesting that แห่ง could also be used for bridges.

Which sounds more natural to you:

กรุงเทพฯ มีโรงเรียนร้อยๆ โรง

กรุงเทพฯ มีโรงเรียนร้อยๆ แห่ง

And also:

แม่น้ำเจ้าพระยามีสะพานหลายสะพาน

แม่น้ำเจ้าพระยามีสะพานหลายแห่ง

I think แห่ง sounds as good or better in both instances. The more information you can give, the more helpful it is.

This is all meant as friendly advice/encouragement นะ

อย่าุถือสาผมนะครับ :o

Baennaenae, you are a welcome new addition to this forum, but a word of advice on etiquette. You need to build up "cred" before you can start posting on every single thread, and using threads for troubleshooting your computer ills, without running into some resentment from those who've been around a while. Me, I've been on this forum not even a year yet, but it still kinda rubs me the wrong way. I have no doubt you'll surpass my number of posts within a week, but I wanted to throw that out there, hopefully in a friendly way.

Also, I'm very open to your advice, but please make it as helpful as possible.

Saying,

"Well done, Rikker wink.gif but ' Haeng ' on your post means ' a place '"

isn't very helpful.

It's both obvious and doesn't help me understand what your qualm is with suggesting ???? as a classifier for bridges. ???? is often used as a classifier to refer to instances of a type of edifice, that is, the number of physical locations it is in. I was suggesting that ???? could also be used for bridges.

Which sounds more natural to you:

???????? ??????????????? ???

???????? ??????????????? ????

And also:

???????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????

I think ???? sounds as good or better in both instances. The more information you can give, the more helpful it is.

This is all meant as friendly advice/encouragement ??

?????????????????? :o

ฉันไม่ถือสาคุณหรอก ค่ะ ... ฉันเข้าใจ

กรุงเทพมีโรงเรียนหลายโรงเรียน เป็นประโยคที่ถูกต้องที่สุด เพราะว่า

๑ ). โรง อาจหมายถึง โรงอะไรสักอย่าง

๒ ). คำว่า " โรงเรียน " เป็นคำที่แยกออกจากกันไม่ได้

คุณจะใช้ทั้งสองประโยคก็ได้ในกรณี แม่นำ้เจ้าพระยามีสะพานหลายสะพาน/แห่ง แต่ ประโยคแรก เป็นประโยคที่ถูกต้องที่สุด

:D

Edited by baennaenae

No worries, your advice is always welcome. :o

That's interesting that you say โีรงเรียน is the most correct classifier for โรงเรียน, since the "official" answer in the Royal Institute classifier book is โรง. I agree that โรงเรียน sounds better than โรง, though. That's the trouble with prescriptivism.

No worries, your advice is always welcome. :o

That's interesting that you say ????????? is the most correct classifier for ????????, since the "official" answer in the Royal Institute classifier book is ???. I agree that ???????? sounds better than ???, though. That's the trouble with prescriptivism.

Yep, very interesting !

1. The Royal Institute book of classifiers says it's just สะพาน (hence, a classifier that repeats the head noun), though I can imagine แห่ง is probably also acceptable.

This is correct but sometimes it depends on the usage too.

For example;

เกิดน้ำท่วมอย่างหนัก สะพานที่รถใช้ในการสัญจรได้รับความเสียหายหลายแห่ง

มีสะพานที่สามารถขับรถข้ามแม่น้ำเจ้าพระยาได้หลายสะพาน ซึ่งสะพานแต่ละแห่งได้ถูกสร้างขึ้นเพื่อช่วยคลี่คลายปัญหาการจราจร

the "official" answer in the Royal Institute classifier book is โรง.

This is correct too.

โรง can be a classifier for factory, school, pavillion, mill, theater, etc.

For examples;

โรงงาน 2 โรง, โรงเรียน 2 โรง (แห่ง, โรงเรียน), โรงละคร 2 โรง, อาคารแสดง 2 โรง(อาคาร) ฯลฯ

มีสถานศึกษาของรัฐอยู่ 5 แห่ง ซึ่งแต่ละแห่งแบ่งออกเป็น โรงเรียนประถม 2 โรง โรงเรียนมัธยม 2 โรง และวิทยาลัยการอาชีพอีก 1 แห่ง

โรงเรียนรัฐบาลเป็นที่นิยมของผู้ปกครองมากกว่าโรงเรียนเอกชน ซึ่งแต่ละโรงเรียนก็มีข้อดีและข้อด้อยต่างกันออกไป

2. ตัดข้าม = "cut across," as in a person cutting across the street, or a boat cutting across a river, sideways across the "flow," although other meanings are undoubtedly possible. What is the context?

3. เหน็บชา

It would be interesting to compare ปาดหน้า with ตัดข้าม. Are they different in use? I thought the former was when someone overtook and than cut across, could the latter be the same?

It would be interesting to compare ปาดหน้า with ตัดข้าม. Are they different in use? I thought the former was when someone overtook and than cut across, could the latter be the same?

I always used ตัดหน้า for cut in front. Not sure about the use of ปาดหน้า. I have never used it. It would be good to hear what others have to say.

ตัดข้าม is different to ตัดหน้า as ตัดข้าม means to cut accross from side to side as opposed to ตัดหน้า cut in front.

ITR :o