Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

6 minutes ago, nontabury said:

There has been a decline in the value of the £, that I think we can all agree on,how long will it last none of us know,some say 4/5 months others say 2/3 yrs 

what we should be asking is who is benefiting from this decline, and why and for what reason.

Most FTSE100 companies repatriating foreign profits and converting to pounds.

Exporting companies not reducing prices but trousering increased profits and not sharing or investing.

Tory party glee! No windfall tax I bet!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, nontabury said:

There has been a decline in the value of the £, that I think we can all agree on,how long will it last none of us know,some say 4/5 months others say 2/3 yrs 

what we should be asking is who is benefiting from this decline, and why and for what reason.

I can easily tell you who is benefiting. Me! I've got dollars! Why? Foresight. For what reason? Protect myself. Got that?

Edited by SheungWan

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

As I said on the other thread, brexit humour is a one way street policed by Grouse and his fellow bullies.

Arguments may rage as to who has the best sense of humour, but the biggest laugh is reserved for those of us hedged out of sterling. We think it is a hoot!

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Arguments may rage as to who has the best sense of humour, but the biggest laugh is reserved for those of us hedged out of sterling. We think it is a hoot!

Particularly those of us living in Thailand and holding THB.

32 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Yes, we all saw the gravy positively sloshing around with his laughter at your 'hilarious' repeating of his spelling mistake.

Are you still going on about that? It was a quip! Not even a joke, a smart Alec comment. Gravy set it up and I provided the denouement.  Which part of Gravy and joke do you not understand?

23 minutes ago, MJP said:

Of course the old buffoon I see happy with the fallIng pound; look at how it affects the FTSE100! Rising interest rates on the cusp of a recession? I doubt it! FallIng house prices? The Chinese are piling in.

Question is, how will it benefit Brexit numpties?

23 minutes ago, MJP said:

Because the UK will not leave the EU, and will join the Euro when there is parity with the Euro ie 1for 1. The more I think about it, the more I feel this was never about leaving the EU, because as I said in a previous post. Cameron never really negotiated with the EU prior to the vote, there was no exit plan in the event the vote was to leave. Article 50 hasn't been enacted. If you're going, GO. no need to wait till March, not when there is two years to negotiate! 

The British public are being played. The way the US, UK and EU are ganging up on Putin war is more likely to happen before brexit. IMO   

17 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

Because the UK will not leave the EU, and will join the Euro when there is parity with the Euro ie 1for 1. The more I think about it, the more I feel this was never about leaving the EU, because as I said in a previous post. Cameron never really negotiated with the EU prior to the vote, there was no exit plan in the event the vote was to leave. Article 50 hasn't been enacted. If you're going, GO. no need to wait till March, not when there is two years to negotiate! 

The British public are being played. The way the US, UK and EU are ganging up on Putin war is more likely to happen before brexit. IMO   

^^This.

I actually make you right. To remove all uncertainty and, well, it's uncertainty that's causing the problems, the UK could have gone straight to WTO rules and issued visa rules and tariffs very quickly, then got on with securing trade deals with other countries. EU citizens working and living in the UK could have been granted leave to remain with easy work visas for other EU folks based on offers of employment. 

All this nonsense about access to the single market is just that, nonsense. The US sells more into the EU than the UK, but it isn't part of "Europe", the Chinese even more so. The UK trade deficit with the EU is colossal.

The war thing is a much bigger worry. Nothing is being handled right anywhere over anything right now.

The £ was screwed as soon as they hit the QE button way back when. UK's been living on borrowed time and borrowed money for way too long. It was going to happen regardless. I see 36-38THB to the quid coming.

41 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Are you still going on about that? It was a quip! Not even a joke, a smart Alec comment. Gravy set it up and I provided the denouement.  Which part of Gravy and joke do you not understand?

Too right it was a smart alec comment, and a below the belt one, to boot. And you still owe Laughing Gravy an apology, as he'd said nothing to warrant it

:sad:.

24 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Too right it was a smart alec comment, and a below the belt one, to boot. And you still owe Laughing Gravy an apology, as he'd said nothing to warrant it

I'm sorry Gravy!

It was not my aim to upset you just get a cheap laugh 

Mea culpa ?

27 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

OK, done with good grace

However, me and the lads are still

going to get you for being such a misery ?

29 minutes ago, Grouse said:

OK, done with good grace

However, me and the lads are still

going to get you for being such a misery ?

I'm the one sat at the end of the bar with the hangdog expression and no mates :sad:.

(I like this new respectful b & w layout, but the smileys are a bit grim, aren't they?)

17 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I think the EU has rather bigger ambitions than those you attribute to it.

Yes, let's cut the crap: The USA got involved in the second world war because of the Japanese attack on it's home territory.Britain fought against Japan in the far east alongside the USA. Germany lost the European war it was fighting because it tried to invade Russia.

Whether or not Britain is still a member of the EU is irrelevant to the point I made about renewed commitment of investors. Here is what the CEO of Siemens, (Europe's largest industrial conglomerate ) Joe Kaeser, recently said:

“We’re here to stay,”

“The UK matters with or without being a member of the EU. The Brexit vote will not diminish our commitment to your country. Siemens will not leave the next generation behind, ”

“We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU: we said the EU would miss a massive opportunity. Without the UK, the EU may never be able to stand up against superpowers like China and the US,”

Interesting, that last quote, isn't it? Joe Kaeser appears to disagree with your assessment of the relative strengths of Britain and the EU.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/siemens-boss-joe-kaeser-vows-to-invest-in-uk-in-brexit-u-turn-a7132236.html

And the world's biggest sovereign wealth fund (with over 70 billion Sterling in assets in the UK) has changed it's tune:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/norwegian-sovereign-wealth-fund-reevaluates-worth-of-uk-property-assets-2016-10

On price rises due to exchange rate: Foreign suppliers are in for a rude awakening (just as Unilever have, today.) Most goods and commodities in the UK are waaaay overpriced. That's where the 'rip-off Britain' cliche comes from. Foreign suppliers are quickly going find out the Britain aint gonna be milked any more, and will simply buckle down if those suppliers don't cut their cloth accordingly. Their halcyon days in the UK are over.

Joe Kaeser is a man without morals. After Russia annexed Crimea he even went so far as to meet with Putin to re-affirm Siemens  commitment to Russian profits despite international comdemnation of Russia's military intervention.

I don't place much credence on his opinion of the EU's future if he's the type of person that didn't condemn the unlawful Russian invasion of another country and still supports Russia's continued aggression. Don't forget Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down from within rebel held territory which wouldn't have happened if Russia hadn't annexed the Crimea.

But we can speculate about this till the cows come home. Nobody will really know what Brexit will bring with it come a certain date in 2019 and we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

2 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Joe Kaeser is a man without morals. After Russia annexed Crimea he even went so far as to meet with Putin to re-affirm Siemens  commitment to Russian profits despite international comdemnation of Russia's military intervention.

since when does business and morals go together? :coffee1:

^^This.

I actually make you right. To remove all uncertainty and, well, it's uncertainty that's causing the problems, the UK could have gone straight to WTO rules and issued visa rules and tariffs very quickly, then got on with securing trade deals with other countries. EU citizens working and living in the UK could have been granted leave to remain with easy work visas for other EU folks based on offers of employment. 

All this nonsense about access to the single market is just that, nonsense. The US sells more into the EU than the UK, but it isn't part of "Europe", the Chinese even more so. The UK trade deficit with the EU is colossal.

The war thing is a much bigger worry. Nothing is being handled right anywhere over anything right now.

The £ was screwed as soon as they hit the QE button way back when. UK's been living on borrowed time and borrowed money for way too long. It was going to happen regardless. I see 36-38THB to the quid coming.

The UK cannot negotiate / do anything formally around Trade Agreements until it leaves the EU (I.e. A maximum 2 years after triggering Article 50).

In fact, if we start negotiating with any countries that the EU is already negotiating with (US & Canada to name 2) we'll be liable to big fines & if we start negotiating (bear in mind we have no negotiators as the EU has negotiated on our behalf since we joined) with countries that the EU are not currently negotiating with we still could be liable.

20 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The UK is not going to disintegrate. It will have to reform a little due to brexit. But the UK itself is very sound (and has been for several hundred years) and will still be around when the EU disintegrates (probably toward the end of next year).

more Hansion History (Histrionics?) - 

"" - ask the Scots about that....and the IrishThe UK is not going to disintegrate.

"(and has been for several hundred years)" - again check your hisotry.

will still be around when the EU disintegrates (probably toward the end of next year - even if they wanted to, they couldn't - get real.

Pain for the poor people, courtesy Brexit:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/life-will-get-difficult-for-the-poor-due-to-inflation-says-mark-carney-a7361196.html

I know I know, he's not just the BOE Governor he's a remainer remoaner and it's all a plot and nobody loves Brexiteers and the world will come to an end on Tuesday and I'm off to the pub! :)

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

I promise you I have a single TV account. However, I am omnipresent, omnipotent and type faster than the speed of light ?

But you do not. Regardless the mods can always tell us the truth. They know the IP addreses as people are trying to be transparaent. I think Han is a genteleman. Whether you agree with him or not.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But you do not. Regardless the mods can always tell us the truth. They know the IP addreses as people are trying to be transparaent. I think Han is a genteleman. Whether you agree with him or not.

Han is the perfect gentleman, I agree with you there.

Now, you are still accusing me of having multiple accounts?

Sorry, wrong again. I will formally request that mods confirm this. You can then apologise to me. OK?

4 hours ago, Naam said:

since when does business and morals go together? :coffee1:

Well, let's say that it's not in spirit with the sanctions that the EU imposed on Russia for its annexation of Crimea.

That said it won't be the first time Germany has placed its own self-interests before those of its Western neighbours in spite of rallying support for the sanctions the EU imposed.

"Nissan's boss has reflected positively on talks with Theresa May, weeks after he raised fears for the firm's manufacturing future in the UK post-Brexit.

Carlos Ghosn, who rolled into Downing St in a Sunderland-built Qashqai, threatened at the Paris Motor Show that the Japanese company could withhold investment at the plant without guarantees of compensation for Brexit-related costs."

http://news.sky.com/story/may-meets-nissan-boss-for-downing-st-talks-after-brexit-demand-10616698

"Following the talks with the prime minister, Mr Ghosn said he was "confident the Government will continue to ensure the UK remains a competitive place to do business."

41 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Well, let's say that it's not in spirit with the sanctions that the EU imposed on Russia for its annexation of Crimea.

That said it won't be the first time Germany has placed its own self-interests before those of its Western neighbours in spite of rallying support for the sanctions the EU imposed.

I take on board what you say about Kaeser. But, if anything, it re-affirms the soundness of the UK economy: Kaeser is ruthless, and isn't out to do the UK any favours. He's reaffirmed Siemens' commitment to the UK because it makes sound business sense, and for no other reason. More and more companies and institutions have done/are doing the same, the latest being Nissan.

On 4 October 2016 at 1:21 PM, KarenBravo said:

Seems to me, Sterling going down more has firstly pushed the stock-market to new highs and also exporters and their employees are happy as more orders flood in.

Good thing, bad thing; it's all relative and depends where you are standing at the time.

The increase in exports do not make up for the decrease in consumption that we will see as prices of imported goods increase. You are correct to point out that exporters potentially gain, but those gains are outweighed by losses in other parts of the GDP equation.

Facing ‘Brexit,’ Lawmakers Ask How to ‘Make Britain Great Again’

“I think we have to ask ourselves what sort of Britain we want to live in and what we can do,” Jake Berry, a lawmaker, said Tuesday in Parliament, “to make Britain great again.” ... “If Brexit is going to mean successful Brexit, it should also mean the return of our royal yacht!”

The Conservative benches loudly murmured their approval, and about 100 Tory lawmakers supported the motion — roughly the same number who fiercely backed Brexit before the referendum, giving former Prime Minister David Cameron fits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/world/europe/uk-britain-tories-hard-brexit.html

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The increase in exports do not make up for the decrease in consumption that we will see as prices of imported goods increase. You are correct to point out that exporters potentially gain, but those gains are outweighed by losses in other parts of the GDP equation.

It's worth looking at the link below to see just what and how much we import because all of those things potentially could see price increases.

http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/top-UK-imports.html