Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Wrong again, Han (it's not Hans is it?)

The Germans are VERY pro the European project for multiple reasons which would take a book to explain. Sure they would like some changes and many are against Merkel's moralistic stance on asylum seekers. But, if you think the Germans would like to break or leave the EU, you just don't know what you're talking about. Do you read the German press? I do ?

Oh, I know why the Germans are so pro-EU alright. It's one of the biggest reasons for wanting out, for me. But you are making light of the German population's issues with the direction in which the EU is headed.

Edited by Khun Han

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Personally, I can't see the point in making a post which is based around guessing (in the most negative possible way) what was discussed between PM May and Carlos Ghosn.

So how do you think that nice Mr Ghosn negotiated? You think they had a Trump moment: "Show me your's Teresa, honey, and I'll build a new plant for you"?  Don't be so damn silly.

Of course there will be horse trading. I'll bet Hollande has already got his cheque book out ?

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

So how do you think that nice Mr Ghosn negotiated? You think they had a Trump moment: "Show me your's Teresa, honey, and I'll build a new plant for you"?  Don't be so damn silly.

Of course there will be horse trading. I'll bet Hollande has already got his cheque book out ?

Of course a deal has been done. We don't know the details yet, but you're absolutely determined to paint it in the worst possible light. And, if it's more favourable than you expect, I predict you'll still go to town on it.

12 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Grouse, Grouse, calm down. Everybody will still be able to buy French champagne and German cars. And any currency discrepancies and tarriffs will be negated by them adjusting their profit margins to European ones. That's if they want to sell anything in the UK, of course.

Do you know what Gini coefficient means? It's a measure of inequality. In practice those that have, will get an even larger share of the pie. Those that haven't (numpties typically) will be on the bus to drink mild. You can expect the Con executive to go down this route.

Edited by Grouse
Damned autocompleeet

46 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Unilever had their wrists slapped over their attempted price gouge. This is the face of things to come. The UK has put up with this nonsense for so long because of it's membership of the EU. The gravy train's over now we're leaving, and EU suppliers are going to have to compete for our market share at real world prices. Good for us.

EU suppliers have no chance to compete with British exports of exclusive products such as bitter orange marmalade, Haggis and Worcestershire sauce.

:tongue:

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Do you know what Gini coefficient means? It's a measure of inequality. In practice those that have, will get an even larger share of the pie. Those that haven't (numpties typically) will be on the bus to drink mild. You can expect the Con executive to go down this route.

Yes, Tesco used Unilver's attempted price gouge as an excuse to relieve the 'numpties' of even more money, didn't it? Er.....hang on a minute.....

22 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What EU policies do you disapprove of?

Euro based salaries are looking even juicier now ?

The issue with regards EU rules and regs lies with the UK insistence of gold plating

' he UK regulations are unnecessarily complicated – it takes almost 1000 words, for example, to transpose 10 words in the Directive on the qualifying period. '

How ridiculous is it that a 1000 words for 10

http://www.internationaltrade.co.uk/news.php?NID=2286

19 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What EU policies do you disapprove of?

Euro based salaries are looking even juicier now ?

Quite simple.

Agricultural, fisheries and free movement policies.  Plus, reduce EMPs salaries to that paid by the lowest in the EU, and give them the worst pension provision provided in EU countries.  THAT should focus their mind on something other than increasing their empire, and improving their own salaries etc.

But of course it wouldn't, it would only focus their mind on improving salaries and pension provisions for politicians in other EU countries :(.

18 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Oh, I know why the Germans are so pro-EU alright. It's one of the biggest reasons for wanting out, for me. But you are making light of the German population's issues with the direction in which the EU is headed.

Hod, do I have to spell everything out? One of the main reasons is post war angst. Much better to be together than let nationalism raise its ugly head. In general, the Germans have done well out of the EU and the Euro. Of course there are grumbles: Muslim immigrants for one but what's that got to do with the EU? Then there are negative feeling about lazy latins and Greeks. But don't forget, the Germans are rather better educated than the Brits so are unlikely to do some rash.

Its not only EU companies that have been overcharging UK consumers.

I can remember a holiday in the US (a long time ago), and being shocked that US prices were around 50% of UK prices.

Funny enough I was looking at the price of the IPhone 7 in the UK (colleague asked me if I could pick her one up on my trip) & found it was more or less the same price as in Singapore despite the £ dropping by 20% against the SGD (& the allegedly duty free prices at the airport).

Probably less in US$s than it is in UK£s nowadays

17 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Of course a deal has been done. We don't know the details yet, but you're absolutely determined to paint it in the worst possible light. And, if it's more favourable than you expect, I predict you'll still go to town on it.

I was merely responding to you yodelling from the hill tops that foreign direct investment was saved. I hope for the best but fear for the worst. 

My my glass is empty; time for the pub ?

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Hod, do I have to spell everything out? One of the main reasons is post war angst. Much better to be together than let nationalism raise its ugly head. In general, the Germans have done well out of the EU and the Euro. Of course there are grumbles: Muslim immigrants for one but what's that got to do with the EU? Then there are negative feeling about lazy latins and Greeks. But don't forget, the Germans are rather better educated than the Brits so are unlikely to do some rash.

You don't think nationalism has already reared its ugly head in EU countries??

Nothing at all to do with what the Brexiteers were promised.

But since you tried to tenuously link it to the Brexit vote; we knew this already. It was a bald-faced lie by Boris and his 'numpties'.

Wasn't Boris the one doing the Brexiting promising?!?

Haven't been this confused since I was on Ilkley Moor bar t'at.... But there's nowt as queer as folk...

13 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Yes, Tesco used Unilver's attempted price gouge as an excuse to relieve the 'numpties' of even more money, didn't it? Er.....hang on a minute.....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/14/carney-bank-of-england-will-tolerate-higher-inflation-for-the-sa/amp/?client=safari

Yes, in this case but in general see what Carney has to say.

Incidentally, what's happening with Marmite futures? Anybody?

4 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Funny enough I was looking at the price of the IPhone 7 in the UK (colleague asked me if I could pick her one up on my trip) & found it was more or less the same price as in Singapore despite the £ dropping by 20% against the SGD (& the allegedly duty free prices at the airport).

Probably less in US$s than it is in UK£s nowadays

Quite.  Rip off Britain is not just a slogan, its very true.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Foreign direct investment WILL dry up unless May buys the business using tax payers money.

OK Mr Ghosn, I understand your worries, how about we give you 500M of our nice British pounds and a tax holiday. But you have to forget your partner Renault and not build the new model in France which is logically your best business option!

Ill bet you that every potential foreign direct investor is going to screw May, if you'll pardon the expression. 

Who is is going to end up carrying the can? The numpties that just wanted a better life.....

BTW Han, this gives me no pleasure at all. In fact I'm pissed off.

Exactly. The only commitment made is to compensate the Japanese. Jaguar Land Rover have already joined the queue for some of the same.

41 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Quite simple.

Agricultural, fisheries and free movement policies.  Plus, reduce EMPs salaries to that paid by the lowest in the EU, and give them the worst pension provision provided in EU countries.  THAT should focus their mind on something other than increasing their empire, and improving their own salaries etc.

But of course it wouldn't, it would only focus their mind on improving salaries and pension provisions for politicians in other EU countries :(.

Other than that, you're quite hap.....oh, ok, bye bye EU.

8 minutes ago, JB300 said:

I appreciate they make better mid-class cars, but better educated? Do you have a link / stats to back this up?

To be fair, I gather the Germans have a better educational system.  They sort out those who are better off pursing an educational career and those who are better off pursuing other careers.

And it works.  Having worked in a school in a poor neighbourhood - the vast majority of them would have been far better off if they had been given a 'technical' schooling - ie. given the chance to work with cars etc.

They had no interest in 'education' as such, but would have appreciated something they enjoyed.

40 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Ah yes, togetherness. How lovely. Togetherness finally led by Germany. Which appears, from your fawning, to be something you'd be quite happy to see.

26 minutes ago, JB300 said:

I appreciate they make better mid-class cars, but better educated? Do you have a link / stats to back this up?

I think their education system is far superior with the technical schools feeding appropriately educated people to mittelstand companies particularly.  There is also far less dumbing down. Overall, Germany feels very civilised without the extremes seen in the U.K. I could write a book on this. I don't know how you would compare education quantitatively. I'll see what I can find.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading

There is more to education than just training though. What about civil society. The UK is falling behind I feel. 

Finland are doing great!

Edited by Grouse

33 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Wasn't Boris the one doing the Brexiting promising?!?

Haven't been this confused since I was on Ilkley Moor bar t'at.... But there's nowt as queer as folk...

No idea who was promising that the saved money would be put towards the NHS, but hopefully they will lose their seat in parliament.

Osborne had to resign when his lies were proven as such - but this is a rare example.

Politicans lie through their teeth at every election, which is why nobody trusts them.

40 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I was merely responding to you yodelling from the hill tops that foreign direct investment was saved. I hope for the best but fear for the worst. 

My my glass is empty; time for the pub ?

I'd say your glass is permanently (half) empty. Enjoy your drink by the way.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

No idea who was promising that the saved money would be put towards the NHS, but hopefully they will lose their seat in parliament.

Osborne had to resign when his lies were proven as such - but this is a rare example.

Politicans lie through their teeth at every election, which is why nobody trusts them.

To be fair, Osborne was cast into the wilderness by PM May, who apparently can't stand the sight of him. But his brexit shenanigans have since been exposed further, leaving him with a serious credibility gap.

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

To be fair, I gather the Germans have a better educational system.  They sort out those who are better off pursing an educational career and those who are better off pursuing other careers.

And it works.  Having worked in a school in a poor neighbourhood - the vast majority of them would have been far better off if they had been given a 'technical' schooling - ie. given the chance to work with cars etc.

They had no interest in 'education' as such, but would have appreciated something they enjoyed.

German Berufsschule Vs UK FE Colleges.

Better Education system than the UK?

Apologies, I may be on a different wavelength being one of the last few lucky years to get a (working class) "11 Plus" entry to Grammar school but the UK education system #for me# was second to none

May have been one of the only year that did the 9+ pre-screening (born in 1966) but I know it helped me (& my council estate friends) to make a much better life for ourselves & our familys.