Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

12 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Pain for the poor people, courtesy Brexit:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/life-will-get-difficult-for-the-poor-due-to-inflation-says-mark-carney-a7361196.html

I know I know, he's not just the BOE Governor he's a remainer remoaner and it's all a plot and nobody loves Brexiteers and the world will come to an end on Tuesday and I'm off to the pub! :)

Absurd headline. It only has to rain to make life difficult for Britain's most vulnerable people.

Mind you, it's p!ssing down here in Udon and I am finding it very hard to find anyone who is being allowed out to play.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Absurd headline. It only has to rain to make life difficult for Britain's most vulnerable people.

Mind you, it's p!ssing down here in Udon and I am finding it very hard to find anyone who is being allowed out to play.

I'm not sure it is, what's being said is that inflation will bite and that will hit the country's poorest people most because cost of living adjustments lag behind inflation.

19 hours ago, Khun Han said:

No, it didn't fly over my head, but thanks for the almost mandatory bit of childish remainer condescension.

I was hoping you could come up with some actual evidence to back up your claim. Instead, you carried on with the usual unsustantiated speculation.

Businesses and investors keep coming out and re-affirming their support for UK inc, after earlier falling for the scaremongering from Europhile economists and their supporters. All you lot have to back up your arguments are the same bunch of Europhile economists (with their hastily re-arranged doomsdays), and THE EXCHANGE RATE!!! (which no lesser bodies than the BOE and IMF view as good for the UK).

By the way, that Church of England analogy that you made in your other reply. Would it apply to a narrow remain victory, with the similar regionally imbalanced voting patterns?

" unsustantiated speculation ", stock answer.

The predicted fall in the pound was scaremongering and never going to happen.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the Brexit camp choose to believe, its the markets that are in control and their view of the situation is what counts. Whether people like it or not, the global economies are controlled by investment.

Depressing news from this particular investor.

" Investor Jim Rogers says there are "serious problems facing the UK" and that the pound's value will "certainly go under one dollar" if Scotland leaves the UK. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37659503

Of course the Japanese would never consider reducing investment in the UK.

" Nissan, which is due to decide early next year on where to build its next Qashqai sport utility vehicle, is part-owned by French manufacturer Renault, raising concerns that production could be moved to France to avoid any tariffs which could be introduced on exports to the EU if the UK leaves the single market in a so-called "hard Brexit". 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-37656480

It would appear from the article that Teresa May is prepared to "buy" that investment, one way or another. The financial compensation would be a nightmare, so does it look like the 'soft brexit' is on the cards.

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But you do not. Regardless the mods can always tell us the truth. They know the IP addreses as people are trying to be transparaent. I think Han is a genteleman. Whether you agree with him or not.

I am somewhat reluctant to drag this nonsense out any longer, but my inner child is mawkishly intrigued. Who do you suggest is Grouse's doppelganger? We can then compare their posts and look for similarities in style and context.

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

But you do not. Regardless the mods can always tell us the truth. They know the IP addreses as people are trying to be transparaent. I think Han is a genteleman. Whether you agree with him or not.

Make him stop please make him stop, it hurts too much!

13 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am somewhat reluctant to drag this nonsense out any longer, but my inner child is mawkishly intrigued. Who do you suggest is Grouse's doppelganger? We can then compare their posts and look for similarities in style and context.

Failing that, we could also revert to having some sort of puerile 'last word' contest.

49 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm not sure it is, what's being said is that inflation will bite and that will hit the country's poorest people most because cost of living adjustments lag behind inflation.

Has any government in any country established a system where cost of living adjustments were proactive? He's simply stating the obvious and the politico's will make what they can out of it.

The apolitical Governor of the BoE is being a tad disingenuous when he claims, “We care a lot about distribution but we are not a political entity,”  By the very nature of intimating their (and whatever seated government that pays his salary) desires, whatever he espouses regardless of being firmly based in fiscal expedient and sound reason, will be used as a political lever by whatever entity sees benefit in doing so. Nature of the beast I guess.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Failing that, we could also revert to having some sort of puerile 'last word' contest.

No, that sounds rather dull. I just think that when one makes accusations against others, they should be prepared to back them up with reason.

19 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Nothing at all to do with what the Brexiteers were promised.

But since you tried to tenuously link it to the Brexit vote; we knew this already. It was a bald-faced lie by Boris and his 'numpties'. Unfortunately, AT THE TIME there was no counter argument of any significant resonance so the atypical Brexit  'independence numpty' (as opposed to the right-wing, Brexit 'anti-immigration numpties' that were under Nigel's watch) were never made truly aware of the fallacy of it all and swallowed it hook, line and big red bus. You can claim that the higher educated Remnant had worked it out for themselves as total BS without needing to take off the shoes and socks to count, but AT THE TIME, there was no credible, public counterclaim. Was that complacency? Or was the whole thing mired in Conservative self-gain and playing to the peanut gallery while Labour's 'leadership' languished in its own mediocre mess? Or was it deliberate?

Anyway, there's nowt such thing as free cheese.

Edited by NanLaew

42 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Let me help you.

image.jpeg

Of course we will, and we'll tell all those other countries that we import from, the ones who don't use the Pound as their currency and want to hit us with price increases that they can sod off as well, otherwise we'll buy elsewhere and crash their economies also - hmm, is that deluded or what!

But since you tried to tenuously link it to the Brexit vote; we knew this already. It was a bald-faced lie by Boris and his 'numpties'. Unfortunately, AT THE TIME there was no counter argument of any significant resonance so the atypical Brexit  'independence numpty' (as opposed to the right-wing, Brexit 'anti-immigration numpties' that were under Nigel's watch) were never made truly aware of the fallacy of it all and swallowed it hook, line and big red bus. You can claim that the higher educated Remnant had worked it out for themselves as total BS without needing to take off the shoes and socks to count, but AT THE TIME, there was no credible, public counterclaim. Was that complacency? Or was the whole thing mired in Conservative self-gain and playing to the peanut gallery while Labour's 'leadership' languished in its own mediocre mess? Or was it deliberate?

The more you think about it the more you realise that the it was not complacency. It was pure conservative self gain and a grab for power by the right wing faction of the party.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Brexit will not keep out the camel herders and cannibals , it will only keep out fellow Europeans that may be qualified to do something and are looking for a job.That's why the pound is dropping ,serves them right.

Edited by The Old Bull
spelling mistake

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

b

I agree with your sentiments.

What we are witnessing is a trend were people of influence are allowed to make statements without accountability. When statements are proved to be either incorrect or misleading there is no responsibility or requirement from their owners to correct. 

The above is not meant as a critique for  any one particular side ,but a general state of todays politics

Edited by rockingrobin

55 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Yes, that's very serious. I went back to the UK a year ago to get an op. (No insurance here you see).

Went to the NHS hospital close to where my daughter lives (she's a physician BTW). Stayed one night and discharged myself because of appalling hygiene. Went to the private hospital and paid rather than pick up the plague.

Poor fools who think returning sovereignty to the Con government will improve their lives!

Useful tip for expats. Get your NHS international card (do it online). You can then go to any EU hospital. Denmark or Germany are very good. In Copenhagen they had B&O sound and beautiful ash furniture in the A&E waiting room; much like the SAS business lounge and nothing less like the NHS.

17 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I agree with your sentiments.

What we are witnessing is a trend were people of influence are allowed to make statements without accountability. When statements are proved to be either incorrect or misleading there is no responsibility or requirement from their owners to correct. 

The above is not meant as a critique for  any one particular side ,but a general state of todays politics

But we, the public, have a part to play in this too. We have career politicians who tell lie after lie, year after year, and we still elect them.

It is not so long ago when the Tory/LD coalition took office and the newspapers were full of just how brutal the cuts that Cameron and Osbourne were proposing, and how this would make the Tories subsequently unelectable for years to come. Yet 5 years later we hand the Tories a majority because Milliband looks funny when he eats? Clearly the papers significantly overestimated the British public's willingness to be abused.

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

It's worth looking at the link below to see just what and how much we import because all of those things potentially could see price increases.

That's an interesting set of figures, do I read it correctly that the UK imported US$165bn more than it exported last year? 
Are we really going to reverse that figure when we leave the UK, or are we kidding ourselves?

3 hours ago, Johnyo said:

When I was a Civil Servant I was continually being told by Treasury Officials that "Efficiency Savings" were required, this happened year after year, believe me when I came out those meetings I was mentally and physically drained.
My view that you couldn't make realistic efficiency savings year after year, after a while they became pure and simple cuts, that view fell on deaf ears to Ministers and Treasury Rottweiler's alike, and I course was expected to deliver more and more from limited funds. To rub salt into the wounds my reduced budget was top sliced to fund ring fenced vanity projects to appease the electorate.
Trust me Ministers also lie to their Civil Servants. 

Let me help you.

image.jpeg.22f046811938c3276e14bdccdafe40bf.jpeg

Germany seem to be making it clear that politics and integrity of the single market take priority over trade with the uk with unambiguous statements from key industry lobbies in the linked article.

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21708720-unfortunately-brexiteers-bmw-cannot-tell-angela-merkel-what-do-german-business-lobbyists?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/germanbusinesslobbyistswillnotstoptariffsagainstbritain

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37648525?client=safari

Well balanced piece on the pickle in which Mrs May finds herself; it's not Branston.

A tough position to be sure but the negotiating position from the EU side is far tougher with both the number of national and regional parliaments that would need to be consulted along with the potential for changes to national leaderships during any negotiating period. Chances are that the EU would need to spend at least two years discussing amongst themselves what they were prepared to allow then offering it to the UK on a take it or leave it basis - could be why May and others seem keen on the 'hard brexit' approach as it is politically easier to carry off than the possible embarrassment of being seen to be supplicant to the whatever the EU gives us.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

" unsustantiated speculation ", stock answer.

The predicted fall in the pound was scaremongering and never going to happen.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the Brexit camp choose to believe, its the markets that are in control and their view of the situation is what counts. Whether people like it or not, the global economies are controlled by investment.

Depressing news from this particular investor.

" Investor Jim Rogers says there are "serious problems facing the UK" and that the pound's value will "certainly go under one dollar" if Scotland leaves the UK. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37659503

Of course the Japanese would never consider reducing investment in the UK.

" Nissan, which is due to decide early next year on where to build its next Qashqai sport utility vehicle, is part-owned by French manufacturer Renault, raising concerns that production could be moved to France to avoid any tariffs which could be introduced on exports to the EU if the UK leaves the single market in a so-called "hard Brexit". 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-37656480

It would appear from the article that Teresa May is prepared to "buy" that investment, one way or another. The financial compensation would be a nightmare, so does it look like the 'soft brexit' is on the cards.

Remainers on here were hailing the Japanese statement about brexit as a warning that brexit would lose the UK most of it's foreign investment. That has proven to be wrong, with investor-after-investor committing it's future. I said at the time that PM May and her government would look after the interests of Nissan et al, and I was derided. Well, PM May and her government are doing exactly what I predicted (surprise surprise). And remainers are still trying to put a negative spin on it. And playing the second guessing game in doing so, too! There's just no pleasing remainers: it's as though they want the news to be bad all the time.

3 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Of course we will, and we'll tell all those other countries that we import from, the ones who don't use the Pound as their currency and want to hit us with price increases that they can sod off as well, otherwise we'll buy elsewhere and crash their economies also - hmm, is that deluded or what!

No, it's not deluded. It's a perfectly reasonable course of action for the country to take with suppliers, most of whom already grossly overcharge us and are pretty-much imposed on us by the EU.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

No, it's not deluded. It's a perfectly reasonable course of action for the country to take with suppliers, most of whom already grossly overcharge us and are pretty-much imposed on us by the EU.

I was referring, as you well know, to the rest of the world and not the EU.