Thailand Post. Goods taken from package.

JeroenVrooms

Last month I paid 1420 baht for a three page letter to be delivered by the Thai Post EMS service to the Pensions department in the UK.

We were told that it would still take one week to arrive at its destination.  We subsequently asked Thai Post to trace that the letter was indeed delivered and they were able to tell us that it was delivered without a signature being obtained as the Pensions Office had a policy of not signing for deliveries.  Not wishing to spend a couple of hours on the phone to the Pensions Office to check that they had indeed received the letter, we managed to obtain a special (enquiry) email address for them, which does not appear on their stationery,  and were eventually able to resend the letter that way.  Probably not Thai Post's fault, but nevertheless the 1420 baht spent was a complete waste of money, as we never discovered whether the original letter was in fact received.  

I suppose when possible and if it is worth it, it might be better to use Fed Ex, DHL etc. I have never had anything important not arrive in anything but a timely manner and all intact in 17 years of being here. Tho, I always feel like I have dodged a bullet every time I get my packages. That said, 6-7 years ago I sent some documents overseas via Thai Post, the receiver had nothing other than a PO Box, so Fed Ex would not accept the package and as I semi-expected, Thai Post bungled the registered mail express delivery. According to the tracking report the package sat in waiting at Don Meuang for two weeks and then they simply stopped updating the status, though at the other end, they finally received the documents 3 weeks later. Basically it seems they decided to stiff me on the express delivery. A few weeks ago I received a notice from a brokerage firm. Just a trivial notice, but the envelope had clearly been opened and with no attempt to conceal that fact, it arrived with one end ripped open. Nice of them to send it on to me anyway after seeing there was nothing they wanted, I suppose. No harm done, but a confirmation of what many have told me about having problems with mail, and as with all things in Thailand, it seems it is really against the whole culture and mentality to hold anyone accountable for anything and in the end, that is rather too bad and sad for Thailand, they just make things more difficult mostly for themselves with this can't be asked can't be bothered modus operandi even in the most important situations such health and safety or in matters to do with huge amounts of people's time and money, or even people's lives, as we all know and see almost daily it doesn't mean scat and usually it seems no one ever has to face the music because it would cause a loss of face, unless some bigger fish has an agenda and needs a reason to go after someone.

Thai post have an uncanny ability to detect money well disguised (2 X 1000 Baht notes) sent within a card sent from Australia with the Bangkok address written in English of course. Did it twice and both times the cards did not arrive - when I sent cards without money the cards arrived. I know Indian generic anti-hepatitis C drug manufacturers will not ship to Thailand - yet they will ship to Cambodia! i agree with the suggestion to register anything that you need to arrive - its not that expensive. Domestically, packages sent from one thai-person  to another and addresses written in thai with low value contents seem to reliably arrive. 

90% of my mail from the UK from my friends has been opened......sometime i just get the enverlope delivered to my house and no letter...and 90% of my mail arrives with blue tape holding the enverlope together......i have complained many times to my local post office...now they take a photo of all my mail that arrives to them from the thai sorting office.....in England i sent by post gifts to my step son for birthdays etc....one once did his gifts arrive.......even my thai wife would write in thai please dont open the package....but still happened........its a nightmare......a friend sent me a letter 4 weeks ago and guess what....no sign of it........i even told the thai post office that nobody would send money to me via post .....they seem to think its a joke........

9 hours ago, Raybangkok said:

I had the reverse I have been sending mail to the U.K. For 25 years without a problem usually letters and photos in August I sent a school brochure and a cd of some Malaysian photos and my family it arrived after 2 weeks twice the normal time the envelope was taped but this was cut the cd had been broken in half put back in with the brochure resealed the delivered I have written to Thai post but so far no response 

Could well be the fault at the UK end, with reference to the CD. Unless it was sent by parcel post, the letters can go through the sorting system and get caught in the wheels of the 'sorter' when being separated into the different post codes and areas. Perhaps they have noticed the damage, re-taped it and sent it on anyway?

Always remember being told about this (don't send CDs in normal mail) by a person who worked in a Royal Mail sorting bay. Granted, this was a few years ago.

Also surprised by the number of people ready to trash a host country's mail system so readily without thinking there is more than one organization involved with international mail delivery.......................;)

9 hours ago, JeroenVrooms said:

Why?? Cause this is Thailand.  My gf accepted the box, not me... I came to her work and was like 'thats one shitty looking box'. It raised some suspicion, but knew it was wrong when I opened it.

What are you by the way? A murder case detective?  Why.... Why!! WHY!!!!

Don't worry about him, he just looks for arguments and doubts anyone's story for that reason. Still wondering what his previous username was, but I guess won't take long anymore now.

1 hour ago, nongsangcity said:

90% of my mail from the UK from my friends has been opened......sometime i just get the enverlope delivered to my house and no letter...and 90% of my mail arrives with blue tape holding the enverlope together......i have complained many times to my local post office...now they take a photo of all my mail that arrives to them from the thai sorting office.....in England i sent by post gifts to my step son for birthdays etc....one once did his gifts arrive.......even my thai wife would write in thai please dont open the package....but still happened........its a nightmare......a friend sent me a letter 4 weeks ago and guess what....no sign of it........i even told the thai post office that nobody would send money to me via post .....they seem to think its a joke........

I have read several similar posts from other posters in other threads, and guess what, it always concerns post from UK.

Last time I checked there were 195 countries in the world, and 99% of the posts claiming the same as you, is about items posted from the UK

You still think the issue is with Thailand post?

Tell you something else, I know quite a few Brit holiday makers in Pattaya, and the stories they tell me about how they know someone who intercepts credit cards and other valuable items in the UK postal system are amazing.

Edited by Anthony5

9 hours ago, sandemara said:

Australian companies have refused to send goods, either via boat or mail, for several years due to the high theft/missing rate when goods enter the local delivery system. It's difficult to even find companies prepared to send household effects via container.  Trying to purchase items through eBay, Amazon etc is theoretical once sellers realise you live in Thailand. There are some Thai-owned small businesses in Australia prepared to risk your goods through the pilfer gauntlet. Using a Thai friend's name as the addressee rather than a farang name sounds like a possible solution with less risk.  Still, the authorities persist in telling the local Thai public often about Thailand's wonderful reputation overseas and its global standing.

mate, I get stuff from home regularly, had visa cards disappear  before I started using registered post and un labelled envelopes(no bank details etc) but everything else isnt a problem, no one has refused to send me anything. Aussie post used to be one of the best postal services in the world but they are now one of the worst with all their cuts and profit making crap, they refuse to scan registered mail when it arrives in the country and take many weeks to deliver it(5 weeks or more) or they send it back due to some idiot sticking an inspection passed label over the address or dogs having ripped the envelope that badly they cant read it. When you complain they do bugger all about it, it is even worse than thai post these days. Had a friend phone the local post office with the tracking number and they told her that it wasnt even in Australia(never left Thailand), it arrived the next day, they are useless.

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 8:23 PM, robblok said:

Received countless of parcels through Thai post under my own name.. never a problem. I trust them. Does not mean there is no risk. Maybe you got a bad postman in your area.  I give mine a bottle of JW black label every year for his good services.

Your postie Is only one cog In the wheel.....plenty of others handle your parcel/s on the way through the system.

If there was a parcel lost, or something removed, would your postie still receive his bottle of JW Black?

If you don't give It to him he'll see that as blaming him.  

If he did nick a parcel, and still receives his gift, he'll see that as a licence to continue doing so.

Bad precedent/practice In my view, but up to you.

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Your postie Is only one cog In the wheel.....plenty of others handle your parcel/s on the way through the system.

If there was a parcel lost, or something removed, would your postie still receive his bottle of JW Black?

If you don't give It to him he'll see that as blaming him.  

If he did nick a parcel, and still receives his gift, he'll see that as a licence to continue doing so.

Bad precedent/practice In my view, but up to you.

Yes its up to me.. i just receive many parcels.. the guy calls me to notify one is going to come and stuff like that. So i get extra service. You are right it could get nicked somewhere else.. and one parcel lost I wont blame the guy.. if i see many lost.. sure no more JW. Because the more lost that is send to one persone the closer to home the leak is.

We gave postman's and newspaper guys something at home too.. and I been a postman as during my studies so I sympathize with him. 

But its more that he gets the JW because he calls ahead and if i am not there he even redelivers for me. I receive a lot of stuff I love Ebay. 

Just now, robblok said:

Yes its up to me.. i just receive many parcels.. the guy calls me to notify one is going to come and stuff like that. So i get extra service. You are right it could get nicked somewhere else.. and one parcel lost I wont blame the guy.. if i see many lost.. sure no more JW. Because the more lost that is send to one persone the closer to home the leak is.

We gave postman's and newspaper guys something at home too.. and I been a postman as during my studies so I sympathize with him. 

But its more that he gets the JW because he calls ahead and if i am not there he even redelivers for me. I receive a lot of stuff I love Ebay. 

Sounds like you're on top of it, or to quote the new cliche, "across it"!!  He sounds like a goo dman to have on the bike.

36 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Sounds like you're on top of it, or to quote the new cliche, "across it"!!  He sounds like a goo dman to have on the bike.

Yes he is a good guy, always friendly. I am happy I have not lost a thing over all those years. But as you said he is just one clog in a larger machine. I find it strange to see how much other people lose. Like i said if the loss occurs more in one area than an other then the source of the leak should be found closer to home. But of course its hard to really find out where it went wrong. 

I did lose one thing recently.. i ordered some 50mm collars for weight lifting. They come in a pair.. and I had one arrive. Now that must have been an accident somewhere because if your going to steal something your not going to steal half of a set an item valued at 150bt or so :D

13 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

I have read several similar posts from other posters in other threads, and guess what, it always concerns post from UK.

Last time I checked there were 195 countries in the world, and 99% of the posts claiming the same as you, is about items posted from the UK

You still think the issue is with Thailand post?

Tell you something else, I know quite a few Brit holiday makers in Pattaya, and the stories they tell me about how they know someone who intercepts credit cards and other valuable items in the UK postal system are amazing.

thank you Anthony5....there are crooks and cheats every where......and i know myself friends who have not received credit cards in the UK and it was the local post man who stole the cards...he was sacked and sent to Jail......only this week the Thai post office were warning thais not to order on line as many parcels are going missing....they also said if you order on line only pay C O D...dont pay up front...very little INTEGRITY in Thailand...

2 hours ago, DSJPC said:

I have had many instances of Thai Post not receiving mail, cash not received (that's dumb, I know) and other issues...not to be trusted for sure!

Oh brilliant!

wife started money laundering (AKA washing my wallet in my shorts)  and as such had to replace credit and debit cards for my uk bank.

hope they arrive!

am already ten days into nail biting wait.........

Thailand Post will investigate. Had to fill in a form and take picture with postman. They will try to reimburse my loss, but still need a wait upon its investigation if that's 100% sure. Atleast they are trying to really find a solution. 

My gf said you can forget about them doing anything and I thought the same, but it seems they are really trying to find a solution. Somehow I'm a bit baffled. I thought Thailand had a reputation of not dealing with complaints and just plain ignore them. 

This means I will use their service again.  Thailand post is still the better choice from the seller and buyers perspective. 

I'll post further updates about this issue. 

• 2 weeks later...