FamilyMarts to exceed 2,000 within 5 years

webfact

FamilyMarts to exceed 2,000 within 5 years
KWANCHAI RUNGFAPAISARN
THE NATION 

BANGKOK: -- CENTRAL FAMILYMART plans to double the number of its FamilyMart convenience stores in Thailand from 1,116 now to more than 2,000 within five years.

Company president Chiranun Poopat said it would continuously expand the number of FamilyMarts in the Kingdom to cater to a growing market and increase its access to target consumers in specific locations.

The new stores will be established by the company's own capital investment as well as franchising.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/FamilyMarts-to-exceed-2000-within-5-years-30296870.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-05

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

CENTRAL FAMILYMART plans to double the number of its FamilyMart convenience stores in Thailand from 1,116 now to more than 2,000 within five years.

Yes, but why are they all within walking distance of my condo?

What is the pay at Family Mart or 7-11 and for how many hours  ? ,  do they have to work 6 days a week ?

Do they get Hazard pay working at night ?

buy 900  more  Family marts has to hire a few 1000 people so the government is going its job of full employment

I rarely go to a Family Mart. 
It is a last resort for me.
They don't have prices listed under the choices most of the time and the staff, is not as attentive as the 7/11 staff. 
(if they are on their phones when you are waiting, they will continue with their phones rather than turn them off and wait on you)

You only have to pull those tricks on me once or twice and I'm convinced of the lack of training that goes into their staff. 

My choices in order of preference: 
Mom and Pop stores (I like the real people and not always mechanical ones)

7/11   (good trained staff, clean stores, can pay my bills there)

Super Cheap:   (dirty as hell, but cheap as chips, long lines at checkout turn me off)
Family Mart: (like I said, bottom of the list)  (I want to see prices, and like to believe my checking out quickly is more important than your phone time!)

I can only hope they'll at least provide some parking at all these new stores. 

7/11 had 8,334 stores in Thailand in 2013, not sure how many they have now.  

Approx 50% of them were in Bangkok.

Thailand has the 2nd largest number of 7-Eleven stores after Japan

If you can produce a product in Thailand that you can get into 7/11 (and/or Family Mart) then you can print money!

2 hours ago, Saladin said:

Why aren't there any Family Marts in Chiang Mai?

Because you haven't opened a franchise?

But if it's that far behind Bangkok I'm glad I've never been.   

Let me know when it has been developed a bit more and I might want to visit.

They have their fight cut out for them. In Thailand they are like the Pepsi of convenience stores. I go to 711 out of instinct if they are side by side, much as I grab a coke over Pepsi not so much out of taste but out of habit. 

I went into a Family mart yesterday for the first time in ages simply because it was closer. There was a 711 just a bit down from it that I was headed for but then it occurred to me I only needed cigs and beer. Now that I think of it I do not buy anything at either place that is unique to one or the other. I never purchase anything they actually make themselves. 

I really wish that either of these companies would try to put a more up market selection in their stores. Unfortunately the purchasing power of the Thais means they couldn't ever be anything close to what they are like in Japan. Maybe they could try it in some of the more affluent areas of Bangkok though. I shudder when I see all the students from the school that seemingly eat at these places every single day. 

11 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

I rarely go to a Family Mart. 
It is a last resort for me.
They don't have prices listed under the choices most of the time and the staff, is not as attentive as the 7/11 staff. 
(if they are on their phones when you are waiting, they will continue with their phones rather than turn them off and wait on you)

You only have to pull those tricks on me once or twice and I'm convinced of the lack of training that goes into their staff. 

My choices in order of preference: 
Mom and Pop stores (I like the real people and not always mechanical ones)

7/11   (good trained staff, clean stores, can pay my bills there)

Super Cheap:   (dirty as hell, but cheap as chips, long lines at checkout turn me off)
Family Mart: (like I said, bottom of the list)  (I want to see prices, and like to believe my checking out quickly is more important than your phone time!)

I can only hope they'll at least provide some parking at all these new stores. 

Interesting point.

Family Mart is a franchise operation, the master brand owner is a giant Japanese company.

Family Mart franchise stores are everywhere in Vietnam but the quality of the interior, flooring, furniture, facilities, equipment etc., shelf set-up (with prices), cleanliness, stock variety is very different and much more professional compared to FM Thailand, and the level of friendliness and actual customer service is much higher in Vietnam compared to Thailand. And you can find more English in their VN stores than in Thailand. Many of their outlets in Vietnam have quite some variety of quick meals and often have several tables and chairs nicely set up inside the store and all kept very clean all the time. 

Edited by scorecard

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Interesting point.

Family Mart is a franchise operation, the master brand owner is a giant Japanese company.

Family Mart franchise stores are everywhere in Vietnam but the quality of the interior, flooring, furniture, facilities, equipment etc., shelf set-up (with prices), cleanliness, stock variety is very different and much more professional compared to FM Thailand, and the level of friendliness and actual customer service is much higher in Vietnam compared to Thailand. And you can find more English in their VN stores than in Thailand. Many of their outlets in Vietnam have quite some variety of quick meals and often have several tables and chairs nicely set up inside the store and all kept very clean all the time. 

The contrast is even more so if you visit one in Japan. Familymart in Thailand has little resemblance to the originals in it's home country. 

52 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

The contrast is even more so if you visit one in Japan. Familymart in Thailand has little resemblance to the originals in it's home country. 

Any franchised operation will lose its traits upon deployment in Thailand. The labour market is incapable of supplying trained labour or human resources that are receptive to training.

I've yet to experience any franchised operations in Thailand that offers quality of service and proficiency near its intended levels. Even flipping burgers and taking orders at the POS poses a challenge.

Edited by HoboKay

7 minutes ago, HoboKay said:

Any franchised operation will lose its traits upon deployment in Thailand. The labour market is incapable of supplying trained labour or human resources that are receptive to training.

I've yet to experience any franchised operations in Thailand that offers quality of service and proficiency near its intended levels. Even flipping burgers and taking orders at the POS poses a challenge.

I don't disagree but Familymart and 711 are much further away from the originals than something like Mcdonald's or Burger King which are actually about as close as you can get to the originals. 

Family mart has been here a long time now and really hasn't expanded much at all or made any effort to expand. Actually, I would have thought they were going out of business. I want some group to take on 7/11. It's convenient but I am bored with 7/11. just want change. I think Family mart is a stale name. They should get a better name that is catchy and a new start. i don't get excited about the name family mart. Select mart at the gas stations is even better than it.  And the new Family mart needs some really good steamed dumplings.

8 minutes ago, Alive said:

Family mart has been here a long time now and really hasn't expanded much at all or made any effort to expand. Actually, I would have thought they were going out of business. I want some group to take on 7/11. It's convenient but I am bored with 7/11. just want change. I think Family mart is a stale name. They should get a better name that is catchy and a new start. i don't get excited about the name family mart. Select mart at the gas stations is even better than it.  And the new Family mart needs some really good steamed dumplings.

Well yes, Family Mart is a tired name (in Thailand) because it's a tired operation including surly unfriendly staff, plus many of their shops need a throrough cleaning. Their large shop near my uni (since closed) was filthy dirty from top to bottom.

On the other hand in VN the name brings a reminder of a quite pleasant and very clean shop, nice product selection, and pleasant shop staff who make you feel wanted.   

I also agree, Japan is even better. When I worked in Osaka there was a large FM about half a minute walk from my apartment. On maybe the third visit the pleasant well groomed young man said 'mr. aparto', which I quickly assumed to mean 'do you live in an apartment'. I replied 'yes', The young man took me to the door and pointed in several directions and I realized he was meaning 'where'. I took him several steps and pointed at my apartment, in fact the next building.

Then I returned to FM to do my shopping. The next visit the boy came quickly with a dictionary and handed it to me. I looked for bread, and he quickly talked with the other staff, they checked something on their cash register then said 'white or brown?' I replied brown.  Next visit several bags of brown bread on the shelf.

The dictionary routine continued often until I returned to Thailand. Great service. 

13 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

They both simply need more diverse offerings. It is unlikely there will be anything more offered than cup noodles that all have that same nasty spice that the Thais love though. 

Not sure where you are or how many different convenience stores you have visited recently.

Less than 2 minutes walk from my condo in Bangkok there is a MaxValue, a 7/11 and a Lawsons. 

They all offer different products.  

Lawsons and MaxValue have cooked meals some of which are quite good.  

MaxValue has some fresh vegetables and fruit.   

I use all 3 as they all offer different stuff, they definitely sell more than just cup noodles.

I guess I am guilty of comparing to the same shops like Lawson's in Japan. They don't come even close. Maxvalue I have never heard of. I realize that perhaps my expectations are a bit too high. I have shown this video before but tell me you can do something like this at Lawson's in Thailand...

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well yes, Family Mart is a tired name (in Thailand) because it's a tired operation including surly unfriendly staff, plus many of their shops need a throrough cleaning. Their large shop near my uni (since closed) was filthy dirty from top to bottom.

On the other hand in VN the name brings a reminder of a quite pleasant and very clean shop, nice product selection, and pleasant shop staff who make you feel wanted.   

I also agree, Japan is even better. When I worked in Osaka there was a large FM about half a minute walk from my apartment. On maybe the third visit the pleasant well groomed young man said 'mr. aparto', which I quickly assumed to mean 'do you live in an apartment'. I replied 'yes', The young man took me to the door and pointed in several directions and I realized he was meaning 'where'. I took him several steps and pointed at my apartment, in fact the next building.

Then I returned to FM to do my shopping. The next visit the boy came quickly with a dictionary and handed it to me. I looked for bread, and he quickly talked with the other staff, they checked something on their cash register then said 'white or brown?' I replied brown.  Next visit several bags of brown bread on the shelf.

The dictionary routine continued often until I returned to Thailand. Great service. 

I'll echo similar sentiments with Japan's convenience stores and their labour quality.

My most pleasant encounter with their diligence is whilst working with a large CNC manufacturer, the constant note taking, quiet observation and concise queries of the Japanese staff (from machinists to senior management) is nothing short of outstanding. Kaizen.

19 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I guess I am guilty of comparing to the same shops like Lawson's in Japan. They don't come even close. Maxvalue I have never heard of. I realize that perhaps my expectations are a bit too high. I have shown this video before but tell me you can do something like this at Lawson's in Thailand...

Thanks for the great vid. I like the focus and theme of how it's presented, realistic, nice detail and some fun, rather than just over the top politeness.

Just now, scorecard said:

Thanks for the great vid. I like the focus and theme of how it's presented, realistic, nice detail and some fun, rather than just over the top politeness.

All of their convenience store videos are amusing. They do them for all the big chains in Japan along with some reviews in Hawaii. 

Just now, anotheruser said:

All of their convenience store videos are amusing. They do them for all the big chains in Japan along with some reviews in Hawaii. 

I'd like to use the video in some marketing classes at my uni, can I have our permission to use it, please?

29 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'd like to use the video in some marketing classes at my uni, can I have our permission to use it, please?

They are called tabieats on youtube and they reply to any comments left in their youtube pages. I am sure if you just asked in a comment they would be more than happy to let you do that. just go to the comment section of the video and ask them. I am sure they would be delighted.

If you don't have a youtube account I can ask them for you, if you want. I asked them already.

Edited by anotheruser