Journalists

SarahJP

I thought I'd banish my inhibitions and appeal for advice in a forum about working In Thailand. Should I be witty and droll, should I be serious and professional? What tone should I use to convince you take an interest and reply with a genuine desire to help?

I want to work on The Bankok Post. I have all the relevant information to send over to the Editor and then I shall hound him until he says yes to me at least making the tea. My intention is to apply the same way as everyone else.

But before I slip it into the post box I wondered if I could get a few friendly words from journalists who know that who you know works wonders.

It would be much appreciated if someone out there could get in touch.

Thanks very much.

Sarah

I had a couple of articles published there a few years back but that was before this current editor, my route in was to first get published in the UK.

You don't say if you have any experience, I asume that you do, so I would advise you to look at the BKK Post and see if there is something missing or something you could add.

I know that a lot of the foreign press staff write in a series of publications, the BKK Metro was advertising for staff writers a couple of moths back and I know they are always on the look out for different perspectives.

You probably know but the whole publishing business is very much who you know, so perhaps getting into a publication other than the BKK Post first might get you the introductions you need.

If you log onto their website there is a link to work for us, I've never looked at it but I guess that might be a good place to start.

Best of luck

Sarah,

Best way to make an impression (maybe only way) is face to face. Try to get an interview with the person who counts and impress them with you willingness to start at the bottom.

Don't flood them with paper. I've been in the business quite a few years and served on many panels to hire...big turnoff is people trying to puff themselves up...don't lie.

If you don't have the experience just demonstrate your willingness to make it. Never give up. Work hard. Most importantly, when you get foot in the door, make yourself indespensable.

I thought I'd banish my inhibitions and appeal for advice in a forum about working In Thailand. Should I be witty and droll, should I be serious and professional? What tone should I use to convince you take an interest and reply with a genuine desire to help?

I want to work on The Bankok Post. I have all the relevant information to send over to the Editor and then I shall hound him until he says yes to me at least making the tea. My intention is to apply the same way as everyone else.

But before I slip it into the post box I wondered if I could get a few friendly words from journalists who know that who you know works wonders.

Thanks very much.

Sarah

the fact that you cannot spell bangkok correctly does not bode well for your campaign.

i would say you have no chance as you know so little about Thailand .

you may be able to write an article or 2 about some topic for publication ,they pay a small fee for this .

maybe you need to live there for some time to get to know the place ,learn the lingo , and then find an opening . but there are tons of others with the same idea and they have lived there for decades.

hey you could write a book first that would be a feather in your cap.

but try to find a topic that hasnt been covered yet . not easy .

the bookshelves groan with books written by wannabe farang writers on every thai topic under the sun.

Of course, you have to be prepared for people who just don't like the idea of anyone getting anywhere and are never happier than when they see people fail.

Best of luck..... "think on what my grandfather told me... it is the things you did not do that you live to regret"

Thanks very much.

Sarah

Send a pm to mrentoul on here. Mike is a journo at the Bangkok Post. He can possibly illuminate you a little.