Investigation Office - Receipt of Notification for the Visa

Hello,

At the entry of Immigration Office in Chiang Mai ( near the airport), I can read :

"Before extension your visa at Chisng Mai Immigration ..... contact Investigation Office to get a receipt of notification for your visa."

I don't understand "a receipt of notification for your visa".

What is that ?

My question looks stupid, but does it mean that I can extend a visa (Non O) before getting that "receipt" ?

(They also ask about that the TM30, that is done).

Thank you.

We had to do this, earlier this week, before Promenada would process my annual retirement-extension.

My wife had to go to the Investigation-office, behind the old airport immigration-office, and pay a B1600-fine for not having reported me as an alien living in my/our own house, over the past 12-years. Much like hotels are required to report visitors from overseas. But nobody ever asked us to before !

The receipt is now stapled into my passport and, in theory at least, I have to return to that office within 24-hours of returning home (from both overseas & domestic overnight-trips away) and get a stamp on the receipt. So what point is the TM7, also filed with Immigration, upon return from overseas, or the 90-day report ?

It all just seems duplication-of-effort to me. But what do I know ? :rolleyes:

If it keeps someone at Immigration happy/in-a-job, then I'll do whatever they require, once I'm told about it !