Im a tenant but want to insure house for fire and flood

ghworker2010

On October 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM, BlindMagician said:

That's just insanely stupid. Sorry, but it is.

I don't think that was stupid, most fires are started by an electrical short, I would challenge you to short out anything in my house that would cause a large enough fire to do any significant damage, stone does not burn. Now if you don't have any outlets in your house and you have extension cords draped over the furniture thats a different issue. I am not going to insure my 2m baht home for fire or flood, but then I live on a hill.

11 hours ago, snooky said:

Can't comment on the building itself, but I have had fire/theft/3rd party injury on my rental apartment for quite a few years - runs about 3000 bt a year for coverage up to 300,000bt.  Check AIG for their rates. 

Third party injury, now there is a good reason as I plan on a pool soon. That pool may cost a bit to insure, but I sure will. Theft I don't care. I have a ten thousand volt perimeter fence, fry em like a bug, just kidding. If they are coming in the front door of my house I will be shagging ass out the back.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:18 AM, kamalabob2 said:

Every Thai Home Owner insurance company also offers separate policies you can buy for a MODEST cost as a renter. Just google stories in Thailand where a renter was charged with arson. I personally know an expat in Hau Hin, who paid dearly for an accidental fire. He was put in a VERY difficult position, facing arson charges and had to pay police, fire department, landlord, let alone his own property and medical bills. For two years I paid less than 2500 baht a hear for RENTERS insurance which would have covered all manner of damages at the modest rental house I lived. The price is transparent, and the policy in Thai and English in my own experience with a Thai home insurance company. The landlord MIGHT only have coverage for what he owes on a loan balance. If you have no renters insurance you are putting yourself at great risk. The cost is cheap. Perhaps the forum sponsor could post some examples of rental home insurance. 

I am looking at this right now, is this RENTERS insurance a special package for renters or just home and content you can get from any insurer, if so what insurance company did you use? Cheers

2 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

If you don't live here, then you don't no what you are talking about. This is Thailand, forget what you do at home, I rent my home to tenants in my home country, where it is the Landlords responsibility to have building insurance, however, just like everything else in Thailand if you are renting, driving a car, walking down the street, or whatever, and you are involved you pay, it is the Thai way of thinking, end of story.

Yes I live here, but it appears you move in the wrong circles.

I live rent free in the g/f house.

I use the SIL's car - free.

(Just borrowed it today for a trip to Marah Sarakham, but noticed the tank nearly empty, so the SIL put a 1,000 baht in it).

I've never been asked for any money from her Thai family.

The Thai way of thinking, is looking for the 'sucker' sign on your head, or misplaced brains between your legs.

Edited by Faz

2 minutes ago, Faz said:

The Thai way of thinking, is looking for the 'sucker' sign on your head, or misplaced brains between your legs.

Lucky you , so you not put your hand in your pockets to help out ?. 

I find that very hard to believe your are tell a few lies I would say .

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

Lucky you , so you not put your hand in your pockets to help out ?. 

I find that very hard to believe your are tell a few lies I would say .

Now your trying change the content of what I said.

No lies, learn to read and understand what you read.

6 minutes ago, Faz said:

Lucky you. Good luck and keep in mind nothings free in this world I am sure by now you have worked that out.

I see confusion over letting and renting - the owner lets, the tenant rents.

Thai dwellings vary but often have concrete bases but many have wooden door frames and doors, window frames and roof structures (purlins, joists etc.).

'Buildings' insurance I think has be held in the name of the owner or the owner of a long term lease which is most likely to spell out insurance cover liability.

On 7/10/2559 at 11:49 PM, KittenKong said:

I see no reason why such insurance should be for owners only. The risk is the same regardless of who pays the premium.

Though it's not clear to me why a tenant would want to pay to insure the structure of a building that he doesnt own. The contents of course would be another matter.

I am not sure if this applies to Thailand but a long time ago I had a friend who was renting a house in Canada. Through his own carelessness by not paying attention, he caused a Hot Cooking Oil Fire in the kitchen that did a lot of damage their to the walls and cupboards. 

The Home Owner had Fire Insurance and was compensated by the Insurance Company for the fire but then this Insurance Company went after my friend for damages. He finally settled out of court which in today's dollars would have cost about $9,500. He was told by this Insurance Company that had he had Rental Insurance for fire, they would have settled with his Insurance Company and not with him. 

So maybe that is why, as a renter, he wants Fire Insurance.    

I tried to insure my furniture and personal items in a rental unit, tried two insurance companies both told me me they would not insure any jewelry, gold, or computers , phones this was after I had my house burgled whilst on holiday.

seems the insurance companies have too many false claims for I phones and such.

Seven years ago so forgot who the insurance companies were, however all you need to do is make a few phone calls.

• 4 weeks later...