Multi-Entry Marriage Non-Immigrant O Visa: Name Change Question

This month I'm getting my marriage registered at our local Amphur office and then going pretty much immediately to Savannakhet for a Multi-Entry O Marriage Visa.  As I understand it, if we get married in the Amphur where she's registered to live (Tabien Baan), they'll automatically change her last name to mine and her title to "Mrs."  Since we won't be registering in her home Amphur, her name will stay the same, I assume.  She does want to change her last name, however, and feels she should do this in her home Amphur before I go to Laos (it's on the way), but I say we need to wait until I successfully get my Multi-Entry O.  It just seems the name change *before* going to Laos will cause problems, as the last name on the Tabien Baan won't match now, and I don't know if she'll have a new Thai ID with her new last name, or a temporary one, or whatever.  Also, if she wants to change her name after we're married, what's the process?  Do they issue a new Thai ID, marriage registration, and Tabien Baan, or what?

Can anyone with experience weigh in on the whole marriage registration/visa/name change thing?  Many thanks in advance...

Thanks, ubonjoe!

As far as the greater name change process is concerned, do they issue a new Thai ID on the spot, or a temp one and send the new one later?  Do they change the Tabien Baan as well?  Or does all paperwork remain the same and you just have an additional piece of paper saying "this name was changed from this to that"?

Thanks again, to anyone with info on this, and for your patience explaining this.  I may be overthinking things, but I've gotten burned before doing paperwork in Thailand by not dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's.

Your wife's name will not be automatically changed anywhere. She will have to request the change at an Amphoe, which can be done anytime after you're married.

She'll be issued with a new ID card. They might handwrite the name change in the Tabien Baan or issue a new one. When she changes her name she'll receive an official document detailing the change.

• Like 1

I Just got married at the Amphoe in Hua Hin last week. My wife is originally from Buriram but she already changed her ID to Hua Hin and house book when we bought a house here a few years back.

The Amphoe said she could choose to keep her second name or change to mine, same with the title of miss or mrs. We chose to change to mrs and use my second name for her. They issued a new ID card for her and changed her name in the blue house book there and then. They also issued me one of the farrang ID cards whilst we were there.

Just Driving Licenses, Passport and bank cards left to change.

Edited by Mark79