cheaper to live in USA or Thailand?

1 hour ago, Alive said:

The western world is far from developed if so many people have a problem just surviving in old age. I remember hearing about some old lady eating cat food in the 70s because she didn't have enough money. People shut off their heat in winter as well. What's wrong with the world? Well, my thought on this is Thailand in rural areas can be a lot cheaper than the US if you eat only local food and live a simple life with little expectations. The cities can be as expensive as the west depending on how you live. The have to be some places in rural America where a person could live a simple life and not have too many problems. One other consideration for Thailand is getting overcharged and the language and culture confusion can hit your wallet at times. Most people in Thailand on tight money always end up with problems from what I have seen and by the way I am one of those people.

^ To your points Alive,

Yes many people in the US are routinely eating cat food and dog food. Look how many thousands and thousands of people across the US have to live in shelters. Yes Landlords will shut off power to older folks to save money. These are all documented events and make the news frequently.

As for living in Thailand cheaper than the US, it is virtually impossible to answer that question for the audience because it is going to solely depend on the resources the individual has and as I stated above, their expectations. Some come here on a shoe string budget, others have a sound financial portfolio and then there are the ones in between. I absolutely agree you can move to many rural US places and find affordable housing but most of them are not desirable because the fact is, people judge people in the US harshly and if you lived in a shack in say Redding, California or out in the desert of Arizona or the Backwoods of Tennessee people talk about the poor old people and look down on them however it could be easier then moving abroad to save a few bucks.The US does a very poor job of taking care of the elderly for such a developed country it claims to be and sadly the children typically do not care for their aging parents. They are left to fend for themselves(Not all but a HUGE majority). Sad reality but very very true.

To me moving abroad shouldn't be exclusively about what is perceived to be a "Cheaper" path. There are huge implications that many do not consider. language, medical needs, loneliness, weather etc.  To me moving abroad should be because one wants to do it for a host of reasons which they researched in great detail. 

I chose to make Thailand my home as I am comfortable here with my wife, I like the people, the easier lifestyle, personal freedom, the food...and OH Yeah and its less expensive as a bonus.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/26/2016 at 2:49 AM, pattayalover said:

one of my friend live with a Thai lady. he lives in a room with balcony and have a good life. he spent less than 10000 bahts a month. everything included. food and rent.

his gf take care of shopping and cooking at a Thai market, they have a TV, fan, furniture. some of the things included in the rent and he buy stuffs at auction market, second hand market....

they have probably a better life style than in the USA.
they travel around Thailand with bus and planes. go Ko Samui , Chiang mai,...

he told me that his life style is better and 10 cheaper than back in the states. he still has an old iphone as he doesnt need apple pay in Thailand as system not work here in Thailand.

a very smart guy.

Now I'm not doubting what your friend tells you, but ฿10K/Month doesn't buy you very much, anywhere in Thailand. Depends how you want to live I guess, but you are in no way going to live a life even close to that you would live in the West, regardless of shopping at the local market, etc etc.

There are some who seem content to live in a tin roof shack in their twilight years, eating duckotan, but that's not for me, but it's each to their own.

I pay many things 10 times cheaper in Thailand.
rent by example. go Paris , Zurich, ... one studio room will cost you 1500 dollars, Pattaya 100 dollars. 15x cheaper.

dentist in Pattaya, 600 bahts for a cleaning. 150 to 200 euro in the West. 10x cheaper in Thailand

food I can eat very well for 2 in bkk for 600 bahts. would cost me 3000 bahts in the West. 5 times cheaper in Thailand.

a roasted chicken 90 bahts, in Europe I have seen in grocery store 500 bahts and more.

bus is 120 bahts for 2h. in Europe I pay 1000 bahts for 1 hours, 2000 bahts for 2 hours. 18x more.

when I add all the saving in Thailand compared to Europe, I can live 8 months in Thailand vs 1 month in Europe.

the key to live well in Thailand is to not own anything.
that's the secret.

23 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

rent by example. go Paris , Zurich, ... one studio room will cost you 1500 dollars, Pattaya 100 dollars. 15x cheaper.

dentist in Pattaya, 600 bahts for a cleaning. 150 to 200 euro in the West. 10x cheaper in Thailand

food I can eat very well for 2 in bkk for 600 bahts. would cost me 3000 bahts in the West. 5 times cheaper in Thailand.

a roasted chicken 90 bahts, in Europe I have seen in grocery store 500 bahts and more.

bus is 120 bahts for 2h. in Europe I pay 1000 bahts for 1 hours, 2000 bahts for 2 hours. 18x more.

when I add all the saving in Thailand compared to Europe, I can live 8 months in Thailand vs 1 month in Europe.

that's the secret.

I like your comment about not owning anything.  I am in the USA and I don't own much, certainly owe zero.  zero debt.  Pay a fairly cheap rent.  But things would be a lot different if one were married, wanted a decent sized house, with a back yard, a driveway and some privacy like I was lucky by birth to have growing up.  The American dream is very expensive

8 hours ago, pattayalover said:

that's the secret.

The rent comparison isn't a good one. You can't compare Paris to Pattaya.  Bangkok would be better,  but still not a good comparison. I've seen $100 rooms in Pattaya. Tough is an understatement.

My last dental cleaning was $35 in Pattaya, it was fair.  Back home,  I paid about $45 and it was fantastic.

My good friends favorite restaurant back home has 2 beers and a pizza for $15. According to him, great pizza. We just had 2 beers and a pizza here in Europe for under $10. Finishing off the rest for lunch today!

Where I am now in Europe, bus rides are cheap. As is food. Traffic isn't bad, no trash,  lovely cities. But,  it snows! LOL

4 hours ago, pattayalover said:

if you live in cheap Europe, it s cheap, like Portugal, Spain, eastern Europe.... . go live in London, Geneva, Paris, etc... and you will see your bank account to reach 0 in no time.

another example : Air Asia flight: 900 bahts. in the USA 300$, 10x more.

Again, you can't compare London or Paris to Pattaya!  I've gotten cheap flights in the US. Jet Blue, Southwest Airlines,  etc. I've also paid a lot more than 900B for AA flights.

Again, you can't compare London or Paris to Pattaya!  I've gotten cheap flights in the US. Jet Blue, Southwest Airlines,  etc. I've also paid a lot more than 900B for AA flights.

and why I can not compare Pattaya to Paris or London.?compare Bangkok to New York if you wish , Bangkok is cheaper

yes I know your can get a cheap flight in the states, just taking a taxi to your US airport will cost you much more than my entire flight here in thailand.

by example I fly from Don Muang to Udon 2 ways, 1600 bahts.

a taxi in America will cost me 50$ one way(maybe 100$) just to go to airport. another 50 bucks after you plane landed.

here in thailand, Don Muang to Mo chit is 30 bahts (not even 1 buck) by bus. then 120 bahts to Pattaya by bus as well . (3$)

when you add up all the costs of your trip , in the USA you finish broke. this is the reason why 62% of the entire population don't have even 1000$ for emergency fund.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

in Thailand, if I miss the flight, no big deal, I can take a night bus or take the next flight, and if the next flight is for the next day I get a taxi at 60 bahts and go to a nearby hotel at 700 bahts a night. where you get a 20$ night in the USA near an international airport? . here in Europe, you spend 100 euro for a hotel. sometimes 200 euro or more.

in the USA, it will cost me tons of money to live. in Europe or in the States, I will be broke in no time unless I get a job at 6 figures digit.

5 hours ago, pattayalover said:

a taxi in America will cost me 50$ one way(maybe 100$) just to go to airport.

Boy isn't that the truth. The average Taxi fare from an airport is $50 or more and that like 20 miles away max. Most range $75 unless you have an airport shuttle to the hotel you are staying at but that will still cost you a big tip usually. Try catching a cab in San Jose, LA, NY. 

I can get a van ride from the airport here in Thailand and have them drive me nearly 90 miles for about $15. A trip like that in the US would be $200 +  

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I've got friends living on small amounts of money in the US. I know very few making 6 digit incomes.

I do too but completely depends on where they live. Its all relative. Live in SF Bay area and most business professionals all make 6 figures easily. Live in some rural town USA, its way less. 

This is an endless debate as people will judge it by where they live or lived and use it as their comparison.

In the end the best thing to do is be happy with your decision  

We keep posting this expensive taxi fare (Thailand admittedly is very cheap); but who takes cabs in the USA?  Most people rent cars and drive wherever they want and have cars where they live.  Very few people use public type transportation. 

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Which war zone or Soviet puppet state are you visiting/staying??? :cheesy:

Hungary, Romania,  Moldova,  Turkey,  Bulgaria and Serbia. Budapest is absolutely amazing. We're in Bulgaria now watching the sun set over a beautiful Medieval town.  40 Baht taxi ride for 4km, 40 Baht 500ml mugs of great beer. $30 hotel rooms. $30 a day mid size car rentals with all inclusive insurance. Great roads. Super nice people. Tough to beat!

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

We keep posting this expensive taxi fare (Thailand admittedly is very cheap); but who takes cabs in the USA?  Most people rent cars and drive wherever they want and have cars where they live.  Very few people use public type transportation. 

I was just making car rental arrangements for an upcoming U.S. trip. Worked out to about $20 per day for just the car itself, and then another approx. $10 per day for insurance, then fuel at my own cost. So that's going to total about 1000 baht per day all inclusive, with unlimited mileage.

Medical care is more expensive in the USA, period. I have good insurance (HMSA Federal Plan) for my family through my work, my copay is 9,100 baht per month in Hawaii (my share of healthcare). My employer also pays an additional 23,000 baht per month. So a total of over 32,000 baht per month and although my insurance is "good" I still have to wait about three weeks to get a routine appointment with my doctor.

Several years ago my Thai mother-in-law visited us here in Hawaii, and had to be taken to the emergency room for about six hours or so (heart palpitations). Two rounds of comprehensive tests found nothing and she was discharged. The bill came out to 126,000 baht. Based on my limited experiences with health care in Thailand (one four day stay in a private rural hospital) no one can convince me that healthcare in Thailand is in anyway even remotely as expensive as healthcare in the USA.

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Most people rent cars and drive wherever they want and have cars where they live.  Very few people use public type transportation. 

So true as its not very convenient and there is no infrastructure to support effective public transportation. Renting a car can set you back avg $50 a day plus gas. Most my business trips the rental car fee for 2 to 3 days was ~$175 to $200 and the pain in the butt of returning it at the airport. Of course the company paid so no big deal but if you were traveling on your own money that's huge. Plus the avg cost of a hotel anywhere USA is ~$130 to $150 a night in a reputable hotel unless you stay at some road stop trucker place where it can avg $50 to $75. My wife was looking at a trip to go see Niagara Falls last year. For a 5 day trip with airfare, rental car, hotel accommodations, meals etc from California was upward $3 to $4K. Airfare was the huge expense. she found lower cost airfare but it was like 3 stops making it a 9 to 10hr day of flying and that's if your are lucky with no delays. You want to fly direct you pay top dollar.  

There is no doubt in my assessment living in Thailand is cheaper than the US and traveling around Thailand is far easier and significantly cheaper if that is one is here to do.

Living is the same. I rent a very nice condo here during the week and rent is $265 a month fully furnished. Its a full 1 bedroom with 24 hr parking security. In California the same 1 bedroom (never furnished) is $1500 to $1800 on avg, SF that price soars to $2500 or more. But again as I stated we all know you can find an apartment in say Redding or Bakersfield California for $500 a month but you have to want to live there as there is limited employment opportunities and virtually no career positions.

I had a friend move to AZ thinking he could buy a house cheaper(which he did) but his salary was basically halved for the same type Engineer job he had in California. However the cost of living didn't really change, Milk is milk, bread is bread, restaurants the same cost as California. Only thing he noted as cheaper was gasoline. He said it was a bad move as his electric costs are way more then California as he has to run is AC virtually 24/7 for roughly 4 months a year so amortized out over the year it was a loss plus the 4 months out of the year they have to stay indoors most of the time due to the heat. People moving to Nevada experience same issue. Simply no industry so of course rent is cheaper.

IMHO the way you make it work is you maximize your earning power in the high density industrial areas in the US and bank a lot, invest well and then take that money and leave the US. Doesn't have to be Thailand, There are many places to make your US dollar work for you but Thailand is clearly one.

My brother just rented a car in Vegas for $18 a day. I'm not sure a comparison of a 9k Baht apartment in Thailand to a $2, 500 one in San Francisco is appropriate. AZ is way cheaper than CA. I've lived in the SW for most of my life. Love CA but not sure I could afford to live there.  And impossible to compare it to Thailand.

We use to travel around the US a fair bit. Not to hard to find hotels for 1, 600 Baht or so. Apples to apples, about the same as in Thailand.  Mediocre properties.

Prices have gone way up here in Thailand.  Crime is on the rise. Traffic is a mess. For me,  living in the sticks to save some money is not an option. Not my cup of tea. My buddy rented a big house out in the middle of nowhere for 10k a month. Moved after 2 months. Nothing to do and nobody spoke English. No bars, no decent grocery stires, etc.

It all depends on what you are looking for. There are many places around the world I love. Sadly,  they get snow in the winter! But Thailand gets miserable hot in the summer.

Where's that perfect place! LOL

There really is no perfect place craigt3365 LOL.  I have found you make it what it is. I enjoy visiting California  but couldn't imagine having to find away to afford living there anymore. My COL is significantly less here...but again that's California compared to my current living arrangements here in Thailand. 

I agree on moving out to the sticks in Thailand. Why I couldn't do it in the US either. My wife and I researched staying before we made the decision to live here. We looked around for 6 months but couldn't make it work with location, cost, taxes, being 45 minutes from some basic social activities etc. I too could not live to far removed. Same reason I couldn't do it in the US.  Interestingly I have never been to a bar in Thailand so they have zero impact on my decision to live here LOL.  US bars are way different and my wife and I went to quite a few and loved going. 

The condo I rent is right outside downtown Korat. Very nice location quite honestly. The area is really growing.and the weather is quite nice. My commute is 15 mins no traffic. 

Again as I posted, this debate has no answer or defined winner. If you like where you live then it's all good. 

Cheers

Good points!  I'm also not into bars. But, do like to meet people, go out to eat,  listen to live music, etc.

Traffic is getting horrible around Pattaya. Wife says some great things about Khorat! Then again,  she's from there. I've not been in quite a few years.  will have to go back and check it out again!

Getting a date is sure a lot cheaper in Thailand than in the USA and the probabilities of getting a date are much much better!

The foot massages and oil massages are a lot cheaper in Thailand and of course much more available.

Moderately OK Thai food is a lot cheaper in Thailand.

Medical insurance in general is cheaper in Thailand

Rent in general is cheaper in Thailand, but there are so many variations on this depending on what one wants.

Local transportation is cheaper in Thailand in general.

Over all I think a person can get by in Thailand cheaper than they can in the USA.  

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Traffic is getting horrible around Pattaya. Wife says some great things about Khorat! Then again,  she's from there. I've not been in quite a few years.  will have to go back and check it out again!

I went to Pattaya for the first time ever about 3 months ago with wife (Been here on and off since 2005 and never went). We met some friends coming up from the south. Not my cup of tea at all. For some I guess it works. My 2 day assessment was it seemed very run down like most tourist destinations become. Seen same thing in Cabo, Nassau, South Beach, Puerto Vallarta etc

As for Nakhom Ratchasima area, I have been quite happy here even though I live here for work and travel back home as time permits. Weather very much like my home in Northern Thailand. Clean air,  Nice mountains, rains just enough, good roads, etc. Plenty to see and do. No traffic outside the main strip. They are building 2 new huge malls, "Terminal 21 and a New Central Mall. They already redid the original "The Mall" and improved it dramatically. Of course along with that comes traffic but the big plus to me is, this isn't a tourist destination so I do not have to see all that tourist congestion behavior stuff.  There are some outstanding restaurants in the area and its all very affordable. Of course if you require western food the malls are loaded with them and there are fusion type restaurants around the area if you like Thai/Western/Japanese over priced food. LOL!!!

On 10/9/2016 at 7:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not so easy with private medical insurance for older expats living in Thailand, AFAIK, Lopburi.  If the OP is indeed just turned 65, I'd advise he settle whatever health insurance he needs here before his next birthday.

There are basically two categories of medical insurers available to us in Thailand: Thai-based insurers, and usually more expensive foreign insurers who cover expats in other countries such as Thailand.

Many of the Thai insurance carriers will NOT start a new health insurance policy for someone age older than 65, regardless of their health status. And just a relative few will continue coverage for existing clients as they get older, say past 70.

Last time I checked about a year ago, there were a few possibilities:

--Pacific Cross Insurance (which used to be LMG International) will write new health insurance only up to age 65, and then for existing policy holders, will renew up to age 90.

--BUPA Platinum would allow new policyholders before age 66. But if you joined at that age, they'd only renew up to and including age 70. (If you joined before age 60, they'd renew for life), according to my insurance agent.

--the Pattaya Expats Club had a members group plan through AXA that members can enroll in up to the age of 65, and then can be renewed up to age 75.

--NZI/Safety Insurance Co. says they will accept new policy holders up to age 74, and then no cutoff for existing policyholders. www nzi co th/en/healthcare

--HealthCare International (www healthcareinternational com) would write new policies for people under age 75.

All those private insurance company renewal policies can be changed at any time so I wouldnt necessarily put much stock in them; and as for the renewals themselves, sure they may give you a quote up to age 90 as one company says but at what price? Also, what are the total lifetime benefits and per occurence limits? And believe me, once you become a bad risk (have a few claims) those annual renewals won't be forthcoming and if they are, they won't be affordable.

My advice to anyone is if you can't self-insure for at least a quarter-million dollars, one has no business retiring in Thailand.

USA are OK as long you have a job.
in Thailand you can take your retirement with less 300'000 dollars saving . this is why retirement visa in Thailand start at 50.

have you seen any retirement visa at 50 in the States? it doesn't exist because you are supposed to work until you drop dead.

been in small hotels in Thailand, fan plus hot shower for 260 bahts a night. around 5 dollars. when can I find this in the States, tell me.? Tesco food, pad Thai 50 bahts, 1.60 dollars, where in the USA? tell me.
English breakfast 120 bahts. 3.5 bucks. where in the USA? tell me tell me. I want to know.

19 minutes ago, pattayalover said:

in Thailand you can take your retirement with less 300'000 dollars saving . this is why retirement visa in Thailand start at 50.

have you seen any retirement visa at 50 in the States? it doesn't exist because you are supposed to work until you drop dead.

been in small hotels in Thailand, fan plus hot shower for 260 bahts a night. around 5 dollars. when can I find this in the States, tell me.? Tesco food, pad Thai 50 bahts, 1.60 dollars, where in the USA? tell me.
English breakfast 120 bahts. 3.5 bucks. where in the USA? tell me tell me. I want to know.

Many countries don't have retirement visas.  I know many who've retired at an early age in the US. And few who've worked past 65. $300, 000 is not part of the "retirement" visa requirements.

I've yet to see a room in Thailand for $5 that would be acceptable. Yes, food in the food courts is cheap,  but not always of high quality.

For breakfast,  try Blondie's at Planet Hollywood. $2.99 for 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon and hash browns. Know you know! LOL

1 hour ago, pattayalover said:

Sounds like you've got splendid retirement plans . 

46 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Many countries don't have retirement visas.  I know many who've retired at an early age in the US. And few who've worked past 65. $300, 000 is not part of the "retirement" visa requirements.

I've yet to see a room in Thailand for $5 that would be acceptable. Yes, food in the food courts is cheap,  but not always of high quality.

For breakfast,  try Blondie's at Planet Hollywood. $2.99 for 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon and hash browns. Know you know! LOL

My last time Stateside, most fast food outlets had various hot breakfast sandwiches for 50-75 cents each. Egg and pancake dishes were 2-3 dollars . 

2 hours ago, pattayalover said: