Needing advice on Thailand visa for a British family

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ryan. I just joined the forum. I am shocked how big this forum is. Anyway, I am British, live in London, UK. I am looking to go to Thailand late January or Early February 2017. I will be going with my wife and my 9 year old daughter. We are all UK nationals. I know you guys need to know a little bit about us to give advice. So I am 41 years old and have my own business in London. My wife is 38 years old, and is a teacher. I will be working while I am there, however, I am not looking to get a local job unless I have to. I will be working online and running my existing business. I could stay in Thailand as little as a few months or as much a year or more. I just don't know. I will decide once I get there.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that you can get 3 month visas for Thailand. Is there anyway to get longer visas? I have very little knowledge in the Thai Visa area, any information would be very helpful, including things to read.

Thank you. 

Hi, Why would I be working illegally? Secondly, what are the ways of getting to stay longer? I just looked at the  single/multiple entry Tourist Visa's and I think it allows you to stay up to 9 months, which should be fine for me, as I will be visiting the UK probably a few times in that period. However, I would like to look at all the options, so any more information you can give me will be very helpful. Thank you.

Edited by RyanLondonUK

• Initially your best option would be Multiple Entry Tourist Visa's (METV) for all of you. If fully utilized an METV would give you nearly 9 months.
  • If you need more time you could then get Single Entry Tourist Visa's (SETV) from a Thai embassy/consulate in a neighboring country that would give another possible 90 days.
  • METV's are only available to you from the UK. You should be able to get several SETV's in the region.
  • If either you or your wife get a job (employed in Thailand) you will all have longer term options.
  • If your daughter goes to school she will be able to get longer term permission to stay as will you and your wife as her parents.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Hi, Why would I be working illegally?

Any work in Thailand requires permission which you won't get. The Thai authorities tolerate tourists keeping up with their business whilst on holiday, however, most foreigners staying long term and working online keep it to themselves and do not disclose the fact to the authorities.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Thank you Elviajero you are awesome, you are answer is very helpful. Thank you for the detailed information. Thats very helpful. It now gives me a much better idea on how to go about things. Thank you.

Be aware !  It is unlikely that your non Thai speaking daughter would be admitted to a Government school. 

I suggest you check the fees of a few private schools before making any decision. The link will provide insight.

https://www.isb.ac.th/admissions/general-information/fees

A google search will throw up other schools.

Hi Guys,

Firstly, thank you all for some helpful answers. I feel I am getting somewhere now :)

I didn't realise that working online was hush hush. I now understand. 

@ elviajero , I will take your advice from your original reply and apply for Multiple Entry Tourist Visa's (METV), and see how that goes.

@ "IMA_FARANG" , thank you, you put a smile on my face. I won't go into it right now. But its funny.

I am not sure what the etiquete is on this forum, and what you can say publicly, and what you can't so you have to forgive my ignorance, if I say something that is not normally spoken about. So I assume there are agencies or "businesses" that can give you work permits for a bit of money. Although I am not so interested in that right now, it would be good to know.

@ Fithman , my main interest is to home school my daughter. However,  I am open to private schools. I expected it to be private. Even if I could afford it I would prefer to home school my daughter if I can.

This whole trip is about making time for the small things in life, and for me time, us time. Right now we have no plans of staying in Thailand more than 9 months, as there are so many countries we want to visit. We hope to stay a few months in most cities and countries. It all depends on so many things. I don't want to air my laundry in public, but I have a bricks n mortar business in London, plus I have some small online projects that I have been working on. So it all depends how all of that goes, and if my wife and daughter also enjoy it. Generally they love travelling, but this would be a bit more, so we will see.

Hi Guys, 

I have looked around. It looks like I may have to go back to the drawing board. I was expecting money to be the biggest obstacle to this trip, but it looks like its going to be visa's. I looked at Thailand’s Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Requirements, and its not ideal. You have to leave the country every 60 days. Plus they ask for a lot of documentation. I can provide most or all of it, but I wouldn't like to book a flight before getting a visa, and you have to show proof of flight. This whole visa situation may be an issue. Maybe I was being very naive, but I thought I would stay maybe 6 months o average in a place than move on to the next.

I have heard there are loads of people from many western countries living there. So I don't understand how they are staying there? Do they mostly have work visa's? If you don't mind saying, how are you guys staying there?

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, RyanLondonUK said:

I have heard there are loads of people from many western countries living there. So I don't understand how they are staying there? Do they mostly have work visa's? If you don't mind saying, how are you guys staying there?

Unless you are over 50, the spouse or parent of a Thai, or working it's not easy to stay here long term without paying alot for the privilege or doing frequent border runs.

Thanks elviajero. Can you answer one more question for me please. Am I right in assuming UK (and some other countries like USA, Canada etc) citizens can enter Thailand and do NOT need a visa and can stay up to 30 day. I have pasted the quote below, where I found the information. And if so, I assume the border runs means crossing the border into another country for a day, and then getting another 30 days stay if you are a UK national and entered initially for 30 days. I can't see myself doing the border runs. But I am trying to understand it just in case. Is there a cost to enter through the border?

I think this is theThai givenment Embassy site in the UK : http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188 , I assume its the actual embassy.

"Passport holders of the countries listed for visa exemption are NOT required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit."

"Since 20 December 2013,Nationals of (G7) the following countries who enter via a land crossing or enter via an airport will be entitled to a 30 day visa exemption , UK, U.S.A, Canada, Italy, Germany, Japan, France"

Just to add. I have to say, I am very disappointed with the whole visa situation. I blame myself for not looking into it earlier. But I am sure there are many people like me who would be spending their money in Thailand, which I would have assumed would only be good for the Thai economy. So I would be taking money from UK to spend in Thailand - I am no economist, but I can only see that as positive for the Thai government and economy. There must be tons of people who are in similar boats to mine, not poor, not rich at the same time, who get caught by this. Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth of thought.

I have worked something out. Sorry to anyone who is tired of me already :rolleyes:, and I am hoping one of you lovely people can confirm if I can do this, at least a few times. I was going to travel to Malaysia anyway. And they don't need visa for UK nationals for 3 months. So I could go to Thailand, stay 30 days or less, then take a flight to Malaysia and stay a month or up to 3 months, and then take a flight back to Thailand for another month. The flights are about £56 GBP for each adult (which is within reason for me), and I may even be able to do a border crossing and stay in Malaysia for a month or 3 months, as I had plans for Malaysia anyway. I can go back forth like that a few times. Can someone please confirm if this should be doable? You would make my day. I need some good news day, a little hope. :)

Edited by RyanLondonUK
Correct flight costs

With a Multi Entry Tourist Visa you can get 30 day extensions from Immigration meaning that you would have to leave the country every 90 days.

You don't have to stay overnight.

Just enter another country, turn round and come back.

Quite straightforward.

I can understand that you're already disappointment with the visa rules of Thailand.

To make you more happy, read this topic

Yes, you can cross the border to Malaysia and you get a 90 day visa exempt entry for their, on return to Thailand you get the 30 day visa exempt entry which as mentioned before can be extended with another 30 days at a local Immigration Office.

Ryan, the Thai government is intentionally making life hard for tourists who want to live in Thailand rather than simply have a holiday here.   Once they see back to back tourist visa entries into the Kingdom they may start to question your intentions.   Bear in mind also the whole family will need to make these visa runs and while it will be a bit of an adventure the first time it will get old pretty fast.

Suggest you google "Digital Nomad Thailand"   there is a great deal of information available on line.   This link may give you some information also http://www.thethailandlife.com/working-online-thailand

Thailand not a big problem if you intend moving around .

Get a setv in UK, after 60 days or 90 if extended it take a trip to Malaysia if you like. Go to Penang and get new setv for your family members when want return Thailand. You can travel likes of Bali and Vietnam picking up new setv as required, also you have the 30 day visa exempt entries that can be used if need something quick and simple to fill a time gap .

Whatever visa you use you do need be well prepared and sort of person good at planning, organising docs and quick thinking as turning up close to clueless or not understanding visas will cause poor experience and family stress .

Bit of research and you will see it very easy if intend do some travelling. You will also find it possible hire flight ticket bookings for applications if don't want prebook, integer prebooked a flight for any visa application ...

Typo

I never prebooked a flight for visa applications .

If go with setv no need any flight bookings or other docs really.

Metv requirements more stringent but most can be met if think outside the box but if intending spend long times spans out of Thailand it waste of time and the metv cost .

1 minute ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Hi Piet,

What can Thailand Elite do? I did go to their website, but unless they can get around the law, then I don't understand?

Thanks.

Ryan

It is legit sine it is controlled by the government and the 5 year visas are issued by immigration.

Generally, Thailand Elite will provide you a 5  year visa( or 10 or 20, depending on the package)  and if you choose the family package they can provide your family a visa too. They will also assist you with issues such as work permit. I currently use them for visa and have had no problems with them. ( drivers licence, permits and 90 day reports) 

1 minute ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Hi Piet,

What can Thailand Elite do? I did go to their website, but unless they can get around the law, then I don't understand?

Thanks.

Ryan

It gives you permission to stay without keep leaving the country. Each time you enter, you get a years stamp in your passport, be it you leave every day, week, month or year. Come and go as you please with no need for reentry permits. You still need to do a 90 report if staying for 90 days or more. Easily done though by mail, Internet or post. Once you have the PE visa, TE will do the 90 day reports for you should you wish them too if your in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chang Mai or Phuket.

5 minutes ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Hi Piet,

Thanks.

Ryan

There is a pinned thread on the subject of this. It has any possible variable known to man kind in it. 

Since you have a school age child you could enroll them in a school which would allow a one year extension of stay for them and the same for one parent. The parent would  need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days to apply for the first extension and 90 days after the first one.

Having gone through Private school education in Thailand myself, the school does provide a visa for each child and will assist in any visa matters (mine did) all documents, all was provided and had no problems for the 90 day checks. Not sure about parent visas as mine were on work permits we never had any issues concerning this. (Feel free to PM for details)

Edited by Piet390