Internet Installation

lotus eater

Hi

I'm a newish arrival at CM. I've just had a telephone line installed at my rented place some 15 km out on the Doi Saket Road.

I'm almost the opposite of a computor/internet expert. I'd be grateful for a simplified, 'for dummies' pointer as to getting a broadband service.

I've seen the tt&t shop on the gr floor of the central mall which says they'll do it for me. I'm also reading on this forum about 'true'.

Should I just go with the tt&t, or seek out the 'true' shop?. Tt&T wants about 1000 baht a month for what seems an acceptable service/speed; but I'd be willing to pay a bit more if told that that I'd get better value from True.

Apart from the obvious & general points, other considerations for me are

- workability with my apple ibook & airport express wifi router

- after sales service in english

- ability to move any prepaid subscription or installation to a new address, if necessary.

Thanks

Hi

I'm a newish arrival at CM. I've just had a telephone line installed at my rented place some 15 km out on the Doi Saket Road.

I'm almost the opposite of a computor/internet expert. I'd be grateful for a simplified, 'for dummies' pointer as to getting a broadband service.

I've seen the tt&t shop on the gr floor of the central mall which says they'll do it for me. I'm also reading on this forum about 'true'.

Should I just go with the tt&t, or seek out the 'true' shop?. Tt&T wants about 1000 baht a month for what seems an acceptable service/speed; but I'd be willing to pay a bit more if told that that I'd get better value from True.

- ability to move any prepaid subscription or installation to a new address, if necessary.

Thanks

For starters, I understand that if you have a TT&T connection you would go for TT&T (probably Maxnet) If however, you have a TOT connection you would likely have to go for their ISP

As for moving the connection (if you change your accommodation) there is no guarantee that the area you move to has good connections available.

I am in the city and after a bit of shagging round, I now have a pretty satisfactory ADSL connection with TT&T Maxnet

I can say that the people at TT&T provided me with every assistance to get the connection right. (I had technicians come around twice before it came good)

Their "hot line" has good and very helpful people if you need to call them. They also speak quite good english although I guess that this might depend who you get.

Thanks for that reply.

I'm not sure which of the two my connexion is; however the tt&t office in central plaza looked at the no on gtheir computor and said they would do the internet service for me, so I suppose the connexion is theirs.

Your good experience with them is very helpful to me to know, especially the english speaking help afterwards etc.. If by any chance it is with an apple mac it would be ideal for me to know.

I think I'll go ahead when I return to CM in the new year.

Hi

Thanks

TT&T may screw you around with an installation date since Maxnet capacity is constantly Max'ed out and they need to keep installing new kit in the exchanges. I switched my phone line to TOT and signed up for their gold package (1,000 baht month) and am satisfied with the speed and service.

Given the two responses I'm not clear on whether or not my choice is predetermined based on whether my connexion is tt&t or tot.

Both tt&t and tot are being recommended, and the pricing seems the same. TT&T are offering 1000 a month on basis that connexion is shared among 20 users.

Maybe I'll just go along to the TOT people too and see if they work with my tel no too. I'll then mull over the choice. If anyone else can add comments which I should take into consideration - great. (eg simplicity of the modem/equipment, technical help - in english - afterwards - in particular if they'll come over to configure/set up my apple airport express wifi thingy with my ibook, reliability and speed, et al.)

Thanks a lot.

Given the two responses I'm not clear on whether or not my choice is predetermined based on whether my connexion is tt&t or tot.

Both tt&t and tot are being recommended, and the pricing seems the same. TT&T are offering 1000 a month on basis that connexion is shared among 20 users.

Maybe I'll just go along to the TOT people too and see if they work with my tel no too. I'll then mull over the choice. If anyone else can add comments which I should take into consideration - great. (eg simplicity of the modem/equipment, technical help - in english - afterwards - in particular if they'll come over to configure/set up my apple airport express wifi thingy with my ibook, reliability and speed, et al.)

Thanks a lot.

i've got true and couldn't be happier.

but, it is only available in certain locations. if available then installation is free.

as to ttt or tot. i looked and had the same experience you are having. do i need max with ttt and the other with tot? still don't know. got true...

but, it is only available in certain locations. if available then installation is free.

as to ttt or tot. i looked and had the same experience you are having. do i need max with ttt and the other with tot? still don't know. got true...

As you say, True isn't available everywhere, only in CM city, and I'm a bit outside.

As you say, True isn't available everywhere, only in CM city, and I'm a bit outside.

When I was living at Doi Saket Road - San Sai - the TOT phone exchange for the area had not at that time been upgraded to handle ADSL. I had to install a new phone line from TT&T to be able to get ADSL.

So your first question is: Can my phone company supply ADSL to my phone number - and more importantly - is there an available ADSL port at the phone exchange available right now to connect to me ?

TT&T at Central Airport Plaza handle ADSL applications and will provide a list of Internet companies with differing plans and rates that will connect to you via TT&T.

TOT has far less choices. My current address had a TOT phone connected - so I got the ADSL package from TOT - GoldCyber - costing 1000 baht per month for unlimited time - and unlimited download. GoldCyber at the time was the maximum residential package available from TOT in Chiang Mai. 1000 download / 256 upload. Whilst the line is shared - I can usually get 80% of that from a fast internet connection like Microsoft, so I have no complaints (domestic use). TOT office at Panthip PLaza is their ADSL outlet. TOT connection fee was 1070 baht with a "free" modem. But I didnt find the modem they supplied reliable enough - and bought my own.

I have found both TT&T and TOT helpful in Chiang Mai to get you connected to ADSL. Their call centres in Bangkok handle routine enquiries (incl in English) - but I wouldnt try to get too complicated with technical assistance. If the ADSL line is working according to them - pretty much everything else is your problem. Better to use friends / others for the "what am I doing wrong" questions. Both companies supplied technicians to the house for free when I sought help with line "speed" issues.

The application to TOT or TT&T for ADSL has to be done by the house owner / the name on the phone invoice.

Keep at it - you will get there.