Pattaya traffic turns into chaos after heavy downpour flooded roads

webfact

On 10/13/2016 at 2:04 PM, dabhand said:

I believe that the underpasses are due to be constructed at the Thepprasit and South Pattaya junctions.

At a guess I would have said that an overpass along the railway route combined with an upgrade to the railway track (due to happen at some point in the future anyway) would have been far cheaper, taken less time and caused much less disruption. But, then again, less money just means smaller brown envelopes.......  

Our Brown Envelope Bots have swarmed over the tunnel from the time of its announcement, although no Bot has ever actually seen any brown envelope or has any facts at all. :)

And our ace urban planners hit their keyboards and pecked out a number of superior solutions. Ace tunneling engineers know that it will flood. ;) Forum cred is gained by bashing any construction in Pattaya and so it is with the tunnel.

Our Tunnelers always demand the cheapest solution. But it would have been cheaper not to bury the wires & cables on Beach Rd. We did have the Bots on that but then again everybody complains about the overhead wires, too. After all, some old Brit was electrocuted some years ago by a fallen wire.

Fact is, a tunnel will be SO much nicer to have here at our beach resort than another <DELETED>overpass as just up the road in Lam Chaebang. Much pleasanter approach into the city. Safer. Do you not how much chaos the construction of that overpass caused? It was in fact a lot more than the disruption being caused by the tunnel. Huge jams every day.  And there are some other advantages to having a tunnel, but I don't wish further to tread on the prerogatives of our ace urban planners. :)

Edited by Rimmer
Profanity

On 13/10/2016 at 5:05 AM, onemorechang said:

I think it will struggle to cope with the water volume

under very heavy rain conditions.

How can it struggle to cope unless you reckon water flows uphill. As far a I remember, and that's pretty darn far, one went uphill on Klang to the Sukhumvit intersection. Last time I checked, about 10 days ago, that hadn't changed. Pre-tunnel construction days, the only bits of Sukhumvit that flooded were the dip between the Highway 7 ramp and Klang and the similar dip between Klang and Tai where Soi Watsomboon drains. The tunnel is on a... wait for it, a higher elevation. It will never flood but it will accelerate your travel between the two flooded areas defined above.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How can it struggle to cope unless you reckon water flows uphill. As far a I remember, and that's pretty darn far, one went uphill on Klang to the Sukhumvit intersection. Last time I checked, about 10 days ago, that hadn't changed. Pre-tunnel construction days, the only bits of Sukhumvit that flooded were the dip between the Highway 7 ramp and Klang and the similar dip between Klang and Tai where Soi Watsomboon drains. The tunnel is on a... wait for it, a higher elevation. It will never flood but it will accelerate your travel between the two flooded areas defined above.

must admit I do chuckle when I see the clueless clowns posting that the tunnel will flood yet none realise the elevation. never has Suk road filled with water that high up to  even think the tunnel Will be inundated. Only water that will be in there is from rainfall coming in each end of it and iam sure they have considered this in the design.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Just for the record are you saying the tunnel wont ever flood.

Please answer for the record yes or no.

On 10/12/2016 at 9:23 AM, Sphere said:

A literary masterpiece....and a news scoop in one.....couldn't wade through water without getting wet!

Ever heard of Wellington Boots? They allow you to wade through water without getting wet.

wellies.PNG

10 hours ago, Don Mega said:

must admit I do chuckle when I see the clueless clowns posting that the tunnel will flood yet none realise the elevation. never has Suk road filled with water that high up to  even think the tunnel Will be inundated. Only water that will be in there is from rainfall coming in each end of it and iam sure they have considered this in the design.

The tunnel they built over 8 years ago in the middle of Khon Kaen is about the same length as the Pattaya underpass but has a dogleg in the middle. There's a raised elevation across all lanes at each end before they descend into the tunnel. Never floods.

6 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Just for the record are you saying the tunnel wont ever flood.

Please answer for the record yes or no.

What record? Your broken one?

Edited by NanLaew

On 12/10/2016 at 2:18 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

my new condo in jomtien has underground parking. am now wondering if i should use it or not during the rainy season.

Five years ago the basement carparks of buildings B & C at The Avenue Residence Condo were flooded to the ceilings with about 20 motorbikes and 8 or 9 cars in them. Building A was OK as there are ramps up from the road along the side of buildings B & C before dropping down into the carpark so the water couldn't run in off from the road. All the power transformers and half of the AC compressors were in the carparks as well so it took about a week and lots of $$$ to fix it. Fortunately for me, I have a condo in building A so my motorbike was untouched and I suffered minimal disruption.

On 15/10/2016 at 6:45 PM, Xircal said:

Ever heard of Wellington Boots? They allow you to wade through water without getting wet.

wellies.PNG

That really depends on how deep the water is, doesn't it! And in most flooding hot spots you will be out of your depth with those standard wellies.

1 hour ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

That really depends on how deep the water is, doesn't it! And in most flooding hot spots you will be out of your depth with those standard wellies.

OK, how about some bigger ones then.

waders.jpg