Prostate surgery

Klong Song

Thanks guys, that's very helpful information. Actually I will be back in Oz next week but with Xmas so close and usually the medical guys going on holidays over Xmas/new year it will probably be mid January before I can get to see my Urologist. But you have put my mind at ease a bit and I can handle the condition till then. Thanks again.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are two basic possibilities; (1) you are in fact emptying your bladder OK but have the sensation of still needing to pee all the time because of a urinary tract infection. Easily diagnosed and treated.  (2) there is some swelling or scarring around the bladder neck or other mechanical obstruction.  In that case your bladder will actually be full.

Neither should be ignored. See a urologist. If you are in Bangkok, Dr. Viroj at Bumrungrad is very good.

13 hours ago, Flanno said:

Thanks guys, that's very helpful information. Actually I will be back in Oz next week but with Xmas so close and usually the medical guys going on holidays over Xmas/new year it will probably be mid January before I can get to see my Urologist. But you have put my mind at ease a bit and I can handle the condition till then. Thanks again.

Sure that could be the case, however there will be a urologist around somewhere in your district/town/city (or at least nearby) who can help, because as Sheryl has said in a later post, you are in danger of getting an infection from the urine retention.

This can be even worse if it backs up into the kidneys.

I have to go along with Sheryl on the fact that a simple catheterisation which takes no more than a few minutes, really can bring huge relief, so please bear that in mind.

On 14/10/2016 at 10:45 AM, xylophone said:

...although I'm not sure that I would relish the retrograde ejaculation aspect of it.

you mean the sperm goes in the bladder ? Don't worry, nothing changes, you don't feel anything strange and you have as much pleasure as normal

may be , at the beginning you think you have lost your " virility ", but you get used to it, no problem

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, xylophone said:

Sure that could be the case, however there will be a urologist around somewhere in your district/town/city (or at least nearby) who can help, because as Sheryl has said in a later post, you are in danger of getting an infection from the urine retention.

This can be even worse if it backs up into the kidneys.

I have to go along with Sheryl on the fact that a simple catheterisation which takes no more than a few minutes, really can bring huge relief, so please bear that in mind.

Just an update on my previous posts and excellent advice from Sheryl and Xlophone.

I arrived back home late in Oz late Saturday night and was lucky to be able to see my urologist yesterday (Monday) morning. He immediately booked me into a private hospital for a Cystoscopy and Optical Urethrotomy procedure which he did late yesterday. I spent overnight in hospital and am now home with a catheter still in me and a bag which I empty. I go back to the hospital on Thursday to have catheter removed. Doc said I had scar tissue and some loose membrane which was restricting the flow. Hope all goes well from here.  Thanks guys.

1 hour ago, Flanno said:

Just an update on my previous posts and excellent advice from Sheryl and Xlophone.

I arrived back home late in Oz late Saturday night and was lucky to be able to see my urologist yesterday (Monday) morning. He immediately booked me into a private hospital for a Cystoscopy and Optical Urethrotomy procedure which he did late yesterday. I spent overnight in hospital and am now home with a catheter still in me and a bag which I empty. I go back to the hospital on Thursday to have catheter removed. Doc said I had scar tissue and some loose membrane which was restricting the flow. Hope all goes well from here.  Thanks guys.

Good to hear Flanno and lets hope you are on the mend now.........for the record scar tissue has been what has caused and is causing some problems for me now, but slowly on the mend!!

Just a little info for you.........you MAY find that your stream is not as good as you thought it might be upon removal of your catheter and you need to have patience with this because it can take a few weeks to get back to "normal". For me it meant some self catheterisation (really no big deal) for a while, but now not necessary. However some folks are back into it straight away with good streams........be lucky and don't worry, it will come right!

Currently with two friends, suffering from Prostate related "issues". one having undergone a double "Orchiectomy", New treatments seem to offer exciting possibilities, for present and future patients. Those interested may want to fire up their favourite search engine, with these terms. "Prostate cancer laser treatment" The BBC article is informative, with diagrams and simple explanations.

Good luck Guys....

4 hours ago, MalandLee said:

Currently with two friends, suffering from Prostate related "issues". one having undergone a double "Orchiectomy", New treatments seem to offer exciting possibilities, for present and future patients. Those interested may want to fire up their favourite search engine, with these terms. "Prostate cancer laser treatment" The BBC article is informative, with diagrams and simple explanations.

Good luck Guys....

Wow, thanks for that MalandLee..........read the article and the treatment seems groundbreaking. Let's hope it doesn't take too long to become readily available.

Was also interested to read about the HiFu procedure, so thanks again and I hope your friends are on the mend.

On 20/12/2016 at 3:51 PM, xylophone said:

Wow, thanks for that MalandLee..........read the article and the treatment seems groundbreaking. Let's hope it doesn't take too long to become readily available.

Was also interested to read about the HiFu procedure, so thanks again and I hope your friends are on the mend.

Hi Mate,

Seems to be gaining ground - http://bit.ly/2hAmxRy  One hopes that it becomes, less invasive, cheap to implement and readily available to all. Of course there are many factors, such as early diagnosis, male reluctance to be examined and so much more, to make this a complete package.

My Thai neighbour, has just been diagnosed - he knew something was not right for years. Now he has difficulty urinating and other associated issues - he is 76. But of course we all know that, at the very latest, we should get checked regularly after age 50 (ish). How many of us do this, before it becomes extraordinarily complicated?? 

1 hour ago, MalandLee said:

Hi Mate,

Seems to be gaining ground - http://bit.ly/2hAmxRy  One hopes that it becomes, less invasive, cheap to implement and readily available to all. Of course there are many factors, such as early diagnosis, male reluctance to be examined and so much more, to make this a complete package.

My Thai neighbour, has just been diagnosed - he knew something was not right for years. Now he has difficulty urinating and other associated issues - he is 76. But of course we all know that, at the very latest, we should get checked regularly after age 50 (ish). How many of us do this, before it becomes extraordinarily complicated?? 

Thanks again for the link and I have "bookmarked" it for future reference.

I think a lot of guys don't get checked because they don't like the idea of a DRE and this is a "mans thing" pertaining to a very important part of the anatomy so they'd rather not know about it, and if you add to this the "horror stories" about incontinence, loss of erections and libido, then you can see the reluctance to get checked.

Silly really because if caught early even the more aggressive forms of cancer can be treated relatively successfully, whereas others can be monitored under a watch and wait scenario and it is often said that many men will die WITH prostate cancer than BECAUSE of it.

PS. With the newer DaVinci robot technology many of the potential problems with prostate surgery/removal are minimised/overcome.

Edited by xylophone
PS. Added