Taekwondo teacher accused of sexually abusing underage student

webfact

Taekwondo teacher accused of sexually abusing underage student

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter -

201610112008473-20061104095852.jpg

Chatchapol Laothammateep, at right, on Tuesday at his Chatchapol Taekwondo Gym in Prachinburi city.

PRACHINBURI — A taekwondo teacher was behind bars Wednesday on charges of sexually assaulting an underage student after police arrested him in his dojo in Prachinburi city.

Chatchapol Laothammateep was arrested Tuesday at the Chatchapol Taekwondo Gym after his 14-year-old female student and her family filed a complaint to police that he had sexually abused her over a period of time.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2016/10/12/taekwondo-teacher-accused-sexually-abusing-underage-student/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-13

21 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

If the allegations are true is inviting the student to a motel part of the Taekwondo discipline and routine ?

Maybe training on his secret techniques to break broads with his fingers?

Edited by trogers

We can only speculate on guilt or innocence--the whole matter is still under investigation--but I have to wonder how this sort of thing could go on over 2-3 months. Why didn't she tell her parents at the first instance of inappropriate behaviour, and what was it that finally made her break her silence? That said, the brother's defence is completely unconvincing....

2 hours ago, Docno said:

We can only speculate on guilt or innocence--the whole matter is still under investigation--but I have to wonder how this sort of thing could go on over 2-3 months. Why didn't she tell her parents at the first instance of inappropriate behaviour, and what was it that finally made her break her silence? That said, the brother's defence is completely unconvincing....

Some people take decades to claim they were assaulted. Bill Cosby, Jimmy Saville etc. cases come to mind, as well as others.

2 hours ago, Docno said:

I am not personally criticising you but you have failed to grasp the nature of the abuse of children. Perhaps, it has been many years since you were a child and you have forgotten what it was like. The vast imbalance of power in the relationship between a teacher and a child, particularly in a country such as Thailand where respect for teachers is the cultural norm, leads to the victim feeling powerless, guilty and compliant. Such a victim is unable to refuse or challenge the abuser and very often does not tell anybody what has happened. There are millions of examples from all around the world. It is probably more common than not for a child sex abuse victim not to tell anybody.

I'm not defending the TKD teacher nor the girl since one never knows what further investigation may bring. I taught TKD at a high school soon after I came to Thailand so I had the added problem of being a foreigner too. Some of the girls at that time were very good (one now does action parts in Thai movies/TV) and one had to be very careful not to give the wrong impression. I managed to seize an opportunity and to treat them more like a family so that I became a 'father figure'. That's not to say that there could have been problems because some students were not genuine in their in their reasons for training. Usually a couple of lessons of real hard training does help separate genuine/not genuine students.

That said, student/teacher problems occur everywhere so I don't know why this one is singled out as news. 

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Some people take decades to claim they were assaulted. Bill Cosby, Jimmy Saville etc. cases come to mind, as well as others.

Good point. I guess the obstacle in those cases is that they think their situation is unique (they're the only victim) and expect that their claims will not be believed given the power and influence of the perpetrators. When one accuser steps forward, other victims suddenly don't feel so alone and vulnerable. I guess that could happen in the case of an instructor also... Still, we can't simply assume he is guilty either. These things are always difficult, especially if there's only one accuser and no evidence beyond a verbal claim...