I should have known it........

lostinisaan

I brought my PC home to get it fixed and to have a birthday present for my son. Before I even started to take the thingy apart, I went to Advice but they told me that they wouldn't have such a connector on stock and can't order one.

There's only a little problem and I could have "bypassed" that by just buying a USB Audio connector, which I saw when Googling for the attached image.

It was okay for me at work that I only had sound on the right speaker and one of the technicians pointe dout that this connector needs replacement.

After wasting a lot of time trying to buy a nrew one, i just took the motherboard of my former PC that worked well and took the motherboard of the parient PC out to make it easier for them and faster for me.

But I made the huge mistake and went to a new opened Advice shop with only two "technicians."/ i was there at 11.45 and the guy decided to make his lunch break and told me to be back at 2 pm and all would be fine.

Unfortanetely, even after coming back later at around 3 pm, I could see the guy sweating and something wasn't quite right. Another 3.5 hours later, he handed me over the part and said it's okay.

When I was asking him if he tried if the part works ( together with the front Audio connection that had a broken wire) he told me that he didn't check on it.

When I came home and pout my pieces together i had to find out that not even the right rear channel was working anymore. I really tried all settings, drivers and finally spent about two daus all together plus 300 baht for changing the part from my former motherboard to my current one.

When I came back to the obviously inexperienced technician ( I find it hard to write technician for a little boy who might have stopped school way too early) he immediately pointed at the female connectors of the part he put in the day before and mumbled something about that it would be faulty.

I went to see the manager and it was too obviopus that the technician had bno idea about W 10 at all. He "refresehd" the program about 10 times, but had no idea that he only had to click on the speaker sign to have access to all settings.

Then I had the idea that maybe a soundcard would fix the problem and a guy took one from the shop which had W 8 support. But the technician had no idea how to do the set up and I finally sat down and tried my best. Well, it might support W 8, but it doesn't support W 10. It took about an hour to find that out.

Then at the bigger Advice shop, we tried the more exoensive one that also supoorts W 10, but nno sound whatever we tried. After a few more wasted hours of my  holiday, I decided to leave the shop and go to the big Advice shop. 

First, I wanted to leave my machine at this place but  looking at the two boys who were the team who fix PC's and notebooks i decided to takie my PC to the bigger Adsvice shop with some okay technicians. I came by this afternoon and  was shocked to hear that the guy must have made some huge mistakes the day before.

The light that shows your LAN connection didn't work either, but the Internet does, so at least something.

Then talking to a guy I fully trust, he pointed out to use a USB Audio connector and i wanted to start crying after I saw that it works. Please see photo # two. .

I paid 300 baht at the first shop with nil sound and 90 baht for the USB Audio stick, see photo.

I came home set all up and now I've got a functioning PC for my son and still enough time to wrap it into something with a Happy Birthday wish.............

Shouldn't the "technician" at the first place have known about it? Or maybe the manager after making a phone call to the bigger shop? 

Finally, a 90 baht just plug in part solved my problem but i wasted two days of my life trusting guys at a computer shop. If my post only helps one who's got similar problems, the thread was worth it. 

Phot three shows the motherboard that caused the problems. 

The shit hit the fan.jpg

USB Audio Connector.jpg

My motherboard.jpg

14 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

There's only a little problem and I could have "bypassed" that by just buying a USB Audio connector, which I saw when Googling for the attached image.

USB soundcard - 

what you are looking for is likely a "usb soundcard" which only has a microphone and headphone jack.

USB-to-Headset-Microphone-PC-Sound-Card-

this will bypass the internal soundcard on your laptop and allow you to use your current headphones or headset. of course the model pictured is a cheap, relatively low quality unit which while it works isnt really audiophile quality. it should be compareable to most average laptop sound though. if you want something of better quality then there are more expensive and better external soundcards you can buy.

as an alternative you could buy a new "usb" headset if the device you are connecting was a headset... but if you were using headphones then i would say that an external soundcard is a better option.

35 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Also, I an not find a single image of that particular motherboard, (asrock aod790gx 128m) with that audio connector, they all have 2 connectors side by side, not in one unit ?

Sorry, just took one from the net. It's got two connectors. The USB Audio connector did the job for 90 baht and I should have Googled it before.

Or maybe posted the problem here...........

Archived