Jomtien Immigration operations Oct. 14?

Kaoboi Bebobp

Please post here if you hear any news about whether Jomtien Immigration will be open tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 14 and/or next week.

I am caught between two chairs. Just got my new passport. Was planning to have my retirement extension transferred to my new passport tomorrow, as well as buy a re-entry permit. However, Thursday's Big News may impact this plan. 

I suppose the question is: If I depart Thailand, can I use the extension in my old passport along with the entry stamp and get the outbound stamp in the new passport? Any experience? Yes, I had already been planning to go to Cambodia after receiving the new passport.

Thank you.

I expected to see a sea of black clothes today. Not even close. I rode from the Darkside to Jomtien and back to Retox and then to Big C Extra. 25 km in total. One could be forgiven for not seeing today as any different from yesterday. Except for very light traffic. I enjoyed that a lot.

42 minutes ago, yaagjon said:

Sorry, just as I was reading this thread a panellist on the BBC said the colour of mourning in Thailand is pink.

...so much about the reporting on the BBC. It is black, as advised in official Thai statements.

8 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I expected to see a sea of black clothes today. Not even close. I rode from the Darkside to Jomtien and back to Retox and then to Big C Extra. 25 km in total. One could be forgiven for not seeing today as any different from yesterday. Except for very light traffic. I enjoyed that a lot.

Not so in BKK...

Even though it was technically a national holiday, the Skytrain lines were packed for much of the day, I suspect, with many people traveling to see the procession of the King's body.

And while tourists understandably would not necessarily come packed with black-color clothing, the vast majority of Thais we saw while out and around today were wearing black, or black and white. BTW, a lot of the non-Thais we saw, myself included, were wearing black as well.

My friend went to Jomtien Immigration to do his 90-day extension the other day. He was wearing his usual black garb and long pants but was surprised to see the usual crowds, still mostly in singlets and shorts. He was even more surprised when he got summonsed back to the desk within a minute to receive his endorsed passport, well ahead of the queue. The lady commented, "... because you respect our loss." 

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM, NanLaew said:

My friend went to Jomtien Immigration to do his 90-day extension the other day. He was wearing his usual black garb and long pants but was surprised to see the usual crowds, still mostly in singlets and shorts. He was even more surprised when he got summonsed back to the desk within a minute to receive his endorsed passport, well ahead of the queue. The lady commented, "... because you respect our loss." 

Worked for me. Black shirt, black pants. 90-day report done in about 5 min. 'Course, there were only 2 people ahead of me in the queue, no need to jump. ;) Nice lady didn't ask for the extended info form either. Pleasant experience.

Edited by JSixpack

To update: I finally got my new extension moved over to my new passport but not without obstacles.

Since I got the new extension in Bangkok only in July, Jomtien said the transfer had to be done there. So back to Bangkok and the Chang Wattana challenge.  Arrived at 10 am, with 52 people in front of me, and was seated in front of the officer at 3:30 pm. She was great and service overall was terrific and friendly. But 8 hours of travel time and waiting! At Jomtien, maybe an hour tops.

Might explain my complications. I'd moved to BKK in July, registered there and immediately had to renew the retirement extension, with less than a month left. After a couple of months, I knew BKK was not for me so I re-registered my (reclaimed) apartment with Jomtien. This is where I thought I could have my extension transferred. Nope.