Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Are clubs still open?

Mr Hello

I don't know that the question is insensitive.   If someone is coming to BKK as a tourist, they are hardly responsible for not knowing the significance of the death of the King.  

Depending on where you are going, you may find some entertainment, but loud music is out.   I don't know if anyone has any specifics at this time.  

48 minutes ago, Scott said:

If someone is coming to BKK as a tourist, they are hardly responsible for not knowing the significance of the death of the King.

What will happen is a question of respect. You don't have to close down to show respect so most places will open in a few to several days, alcohol will be sold, business will go on of course. There is expected to be a difference but those who don't follow it will hardly be punished. They will just be looked down on as the low-life they prove they are

About the comment above: They are not but they are responsible for adapting directly when they find out though.

90% of all the Thai's I saw when I drove to work this morning were wearing black, white, very toned down colours or if they had to, their normal uniforms. The more important thing I noticed was that of the 10% who wore inappropriate colour, all were lower working class

Tourists and foreigners should wear toned down colour and tone down for as long as the Thais do and not copy the Thai's  who change first

• 1 year later...

I think a bigger question is what is the fate of the gay clubs overall? Do the go-go bars, for instance, play a role in a post-iPhone world? I have barely set foot in a gay club now for several years -- they appear boring, anachronistic and, did I say, boring? I presume one day, in Pattaya for example, we will see the closing of the last gay bar. Not to say there might not be some "clubbing" niteclubs remain open.

Here is my question: Why haven't the owners of the bars seen this revolution coming and changed their format to accommodate the new online reality/competition?? Nothing seems to have changed with them for the past 20 years! Why can't they dream up a more interesting format which maybe merges the technological with the in-person experience in some interesting way? The last big "revolution" seems to have been the opening of the friendly beer bars, now mostly in Jomtien Complex, while Sunee Plaza continues to whither away (no big loss there) and Boyztown becomes a shadow of its former self.

What would you suggest? Game consoles? 

In New Orleans there is Café Lafitte in Exile.  The nice thing about it is things don t need to change to be relevant.  Kinda like choosing not to dye your hair ( if you get my drift)

Dating to 1933, Cafe Lafitte bills itself as the oldest continuously-operating gay bar in the U.S. is open 24/7 and offers a casual downstairs bar, and a more upscale lounge with balcony upstairs. Legend has it Cafe Lafitte once served literary luminaries Truman Capote and Tennessee Williams.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived