Government Schools Open Next Week?(Oct.17th--)

3 minutes ago, Preacher said:

As the funeral details are being finalized

Funeral?

This will be in more than a year (after the mourning period).

Now there are some procession and rituals going on.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Most Thai schools are closed for the mid-semester break and are scheduled to open on the 25th or 31st.  I would be surprised if they don't open on time.  However, Loy Krathong and Fathers Day will probably both be cancelled.

My understanding and observation too.

No more regular schools open here in upcountry.

Private primary school closed third week of September already.

Granddaughter is at the province capital (Khon Kaen) today for some test (uni qualification?) and no message that this has been cancelled.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Was just told, perhaps incorrectly as the source was "facebook", that Government offices will be closed for seven days starting with today. This included Government schools. They claimed it was an official announcement. However, a quick survey of Thai people indicated that was wrong. Some Government schools do in fact start the second term on October 17th, Monday. 

I think that any public mourning is more significant and meaningful when done in a group setting, particularly as far as it inculcates values in the young. To any of the foreign teachers out there who thought they had just received an unexpected extension to their mid-term break, I think you are not lucky this time. You might even be called back early so that the mourning can take place in a school setting.

1 hour ago, allane said:

I think that any public mourning is more significant and meaningful when done in a group setting, particularly as far as it inculcates values in the young. To any of the foreign teachers out there who thought they had just received an unexpected extension to their mid-term break, I think you are not lucky this time. You might even be called back early so that the mourning can take place in a school setting.

Thanks for that opinion. What do you expect to be the format of a public mourning at a high school? I mean specifically, the entire school at the normal assembly or individual teachers leading a proper respectful few hours? in the classrooms?

26 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Unless you have had grief training, I would be very wary of trying to help people, grief is a multi-stage process and takes a lot of understanding.

While the tone and tenor of your remarks are well intended, it's often the case that the foreign teacher is placed in a situation she wasn't prepared for nor expecting. This is the reason we are asking. I wouldn't expect this on such an occasion, but you never know.  The students coming to school next week are going to be in an emotional turmoil and in need of as you say understanding. I hope, well you get the point I hope. Any insight much appreciated. 

16 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

While the tone and tenor of your remarks are well intended, it's often the case that the foreign teacher is placed in a situation she wasn't prepared for nor expecting. This is the reason we are asking. I wouldn't expect this on such an occasion, but you never know.  The students coming to school next week are going to be in an emotional turmoil and in need of as you say understanding. I hope, well you get the point I hope. Any insight much appreciated. 

The best course of action is to just say that whatever the person is feeling is "OK", there are no wrong feelings in grief. But then you should refer them or guide them to someone has had some training, if at all possible. If that is not possible, then at least a teacher who is Thai will be better placed culturally and language wise to help.

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I too am interested in how to lead a group mourning session.

Perhaps you meant how to lead it as well as how to help 

My experience is that Thai's don't expect to be helped when they mourn, we would try to help at home, I haven't seen the Thai's do that at funerals I have been to. The old tricks with modification should do, appropriate silence, when that becomes awkward, distraction. No analysis of the situation, no funny jokes of course

There will be some changes in the schools for sure. I expect that all teachers / school staff will be told to wear black for the whole 30 days. Out and buy black shirts and trousers guys. White and dark grey should also be acceptable, at least later on. Asking the school to pay would be very low and cheap of course :shock1:

The official mourning period communicated to schools is one year but I wouldn't think that all school staff should wear black for a year because of that

Edited by MikeyIdea

On 10/14/2016 at 3:35 PM, BruceMangosteen said:

Was just told, perhaps incorrectly as the source was "facebook", that Government offices will be closed for seven days starting with today. This included Government schools. They claimed it was an official announcement. However, a quick survey of Thai people indicated that was wrong. Some Government schools do in fact start the second term on October 17th, Monday. 

Huh? I worked today and haven't heard of any days off this week!! (At a tertiary institution run by the government)