Pay bills online while overseas

I usually pay rent, phone etc through KTB online banking (app), but they have a verification procedure requiring a passcode be sent to your phone here. Additionally payments can only made up to two business days ahead this way. Presumably this passcode would make it impossible to do online banking transfers while out of the country?

If so, is it possible to arrange rent to be transferred on a particular date (more than two days ahead) by visiting the bank?

Also, is it possible to preload money with AIS so when the bills come in they will be automatically deducted? It looks like it's possible within their app. 

Presumably KTB send the code as an SMS, same as K-Bank?  In which case just ensure your phone allows international roaming and you will get the SMS same as you do here (and it wont cost you anything).  I've been doing this for many years without any problem.

Hi, as Upnotover pointed out, turning on international roaming is the simplest (and most expensive!) solution. Look at AIS website for international roaming charges. 

alternatives;
1) paying the rent - I use Bangkok Bank and they only require SMS verification when sending money to a new recipient on the 1st occasion. Thereafter, you can transfer money without having to get SMS OTP. Maybe KTB works the same way, you could call and ask. If not, open a Bangkok Bank account. Then you can pay your rent online without having to pay for international roaming. 

2) paying the phone: I have the same problem, I can't pay for True phone or internet with my Thai Bangkok Bank card unless I turn on international roaming to receive the OTP via SMS. I just use my HSBC VISA from the UK as you can complete the Verified by Visa check with a code, instead of SMS. 

As above, talk with your mobile provider, set int. roaming and receive SMS for free (DTAC for me). For payments three more options NOT including SMS (SCB for me):

1) set recurring payments for not changing amounts (rent, pool maint, gardener etc): set amount, day of month and renew every 6 months

2) direct debit if payment receipent allows, ie for water, electric, internet etc.

3) set payment receipent as trusted, only adding account and first payment will require OTP, after that all new payments through websitr or mobile app work without OTP (except mobile top-up, don't know why)

Thanks for the replies. Managed to pay AIS broadband for this month, and the phone bill has enough leeway that I can deal with it when I'm back. I'll pop in KTB tomorrow and see how they deal with subsequent transfers through their ebanking system, if necessary I can set the phone to roaming.  

Archived