Five things not to miss in Singapore if you spend a few days there..

watcharacters

We know  Singapore is expensive which has already caused me heart problems but I'd still like to know what you think we should NOT avoid.      Maybe a good and bad recommendation.

On Out Brain I continually see food recommendations.   I guess Singapore has some pretty nice places to eat and not all with insane prices.

Your thoughts?

I appreciate all the suggestions and will take them with me when we go.    For some reason I look forward to this trip even more than I have other trips in the past.    I know I'll find of interest exploring what there is from a WWII  perspective.

I'm a fan of museums and natural things like snake farms  etc, while the Missus is a  dedicated fan of night markets.  

tx22cb,   You hold the distinction of being the only person I've heard say Singapore is not especially expensive.   I'll bet I'd like to trade assets with you.   555

But expensive or not, since I knew the scenario going into it,  and therefore won't be surprised,  I'll insure money does not diminish our fun.   I.E. the purse strings will not be drawn tightly

Any other suggestions?

haven't been in many years but useta go thru there often when I lived in indonesia...most anything that one orders from a small open air restaurant is out of this world, no need to go to any fancy 'recommended' places...shouldn't be missed...

can't say the same for any other places I've been in SE Asia...including Thailand...

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:26 AM, watcharacters said:

I appreciate all the suggestions and will take them with me when we go.    For some reason I look forward to this trip even more than I have other trips in the past.    I know I'll find of interest exploring what there is from a WWII  perspective.

I'm a fan of museums and natural things like snake farms  etc, while the Missus is a  dedicated fan of night markets.  

tx22cb,   You hold the distinction of being the only person I've heard say Singapore is not especially expensive.   I'll bet I'd like to trade assets with you.   555

But expensive or not, since I knew the scenario going into it,  and therefore won't be surprised,  I'll insure money does not diminish our fun.   I.E. the purse strings will not be drawn tightly

Any other suggestions?

You have to go to  the Writers bar in Raffles Hotel for a Singapore Sling, but wear trousers and skirt, not shorts.

The bay area is absolutely stunning during evenings.

23438095514_e4254c7ee1_c.jpg

Few more photos: https://oilinki.com/blog/singapores-marina-bay-night

Many good ideas has been said already. I'd add Little India and the delicious eateries. 

I used to live in Singapore (and hopefully will live there some day again).  It's possible to stay there without spending too much money. Traveling around is easy with extensive MRT and bus system. Taxis are moderately cheap. 

Eating at food courts is cheap and can offer a quick course for local dishes. 

For good local food go to Newton Circus, outdoor food court with huge choice of dishes (try the stingray).

If you're interested in the WWII perspective you should go to the Changi Museum and the Ford Factory on Bukit Timah, where the surrender was signed. My father was a POW in Changi and the museum there will bring tears to your eyes.

I was there with my partner for 3 full days just a few days ago. What I appreciated most (after Thailand) was cleanliness, tidiness, good order, and efficiency. A beautiful city with excellent public transport - underground & buses, & taxis large enough to take both you and your luggage in comfort.

But ultramodernity has its price. Hotels very expensive - our room in Bras Basah Rd was half the size of what we get in Sukhumvit and twice the price. Food excellent - particularly what remains of Chinatown after dark. Sentosa Is I found boring. Best for me was the quay area & Gardens by the Bay.

Overall, I enjoyed it immensely. Could live there very comfortably.

In addition to those already mentioned, The Asian Civilizations Museum is world class. Also the newer, large aquarium on Sentosa (there are two). One of the largest tanks in the world (10 cm thick plexiglass). The Singapore Flyer (large wheel) can be good at sunset but also can be a bit slow and boring. View from Altitude 360 is spectacular, especially if you time it with a sunset. The Harry's Bar at Orchard used to be good (I left Singapore 2 years ago) with live band

see all the modelled blood'n'guts of the Tiger Balm gardens

pig out at Gluttons' Corner

get a happy ending massage on the top floor at the Bukit Timah plaza

look staight down from the sentosa cable car, and pretend to shoo away the ships (I was on that cable car the week before the accident)

take a London bus tour, that encompasses the Chinese and Japanese Gardens

and bonus wildcard numba 6:  skull down Asia's most expensive Fosters, at the Shaw Pub in the Shaw complex

Sentosa – there you can easily find five, fairly new (within the last 5 years,) things, not-to-miss...
It's also depending on your interests,  and if are you alone or... ...with kinds or grown-ups only...

To mention a few I liked, when visiting earlier this year (and I've been there before also):

Cable car ride – either from Singapore over the harbor to Sentosa v.v., or just the brand new cable car along Sentosa; or both

SEA – the Worlds largest aquarium

Wings-of-Time – the laser and water, light'n'sound show on the beach

Universal Studios, if one is into that kind of experience – or just into some serious rides for grown-ups without hearth-and-health problems :shock1:

Swimming with dolphins :smile:

By the way, check the Internet, some times you can find a hotel bargain at Sentosa – I found for example 5-star Michael, including free pass for Universal, SEA, and more with some huge discount (think it was around 85%); perhaps it's never sold at full list price, but the bargain price was a bargain that made something almost impossible, possible...

..and of course Marina Bay, but that's not Sentosa.

On 10/16/2016 at 1:39 AM, tx22cb said:

1) Gardens by the Bay

2) Singapore Zoo

3) Marina Bay - Boat Quay - Clarke Quay area

4) sample some Singapore Chicken-Rice/Bak Ku Teh/Black Pepper Crab

Personally, I do not find Singapore to be that extraordinarily expensive.

A pint of beer at Raffles Hotel Courtyard Bar for $19 - maybe not "extraordinarily expensive" but not cheap either. Savoured on a hot day in June this year.

Having spent a good few years in singa's in the 60's l. I can honestly say after a visit there last year (the last visit there I hasten to add). It is complete rubish overpriced and now 100%over rated. It used to be a great place cheap as chips and welcoming. So instead of 5 places not to miss I give you 1 place to avoid SINGAPORE.

There's also a night zoo, which also does a halloween theme during this time of the year.

If you've got young kids you could take them across the border into Malaysia and go to Legoland.

You could also get the ferry across to Bintan Island (Indonesia). Plenty of resorts there or a day trip to Club Med.